FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GH games suspended indefinitely. What does this mean for RB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPXenon  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I think HMX would be wise to wait a while before considering RB4. Oversaturation is basically what caused the whole mess IMO, and with the versatility of RB3 + RBN, I don't remotely see a need for a new title.

This, and no more Band centric side releases either . Though I'd imagine with there current financial situation Harmonix probibly haven't got a new release on the cards anyway. I'f I were them I'd probibly be focusing on whats making the money and keeping them afloat, and that's Dance Central, from what i've seen of Kinect its pretty much its "Killer App" for the moment.
FyreWulff  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see if this is a break or if they are truly done.

What would make this more interesting is the contracts surrounding exclusivity. If GH RHCP really was happening, the contract should have stated that the game had to come out with in a certain timeframe. If that contract is annulled via an escape clause or Activision running the clock out, would Harmonix bother patching RB3 to recognize the blacklisted RB1 tracks again? They probably wouldn't bother re-certing the RB2 export to include Give It Away or Spoonman though.

Or they just release RHCP as DLC to satisify the contract.

In any regard, I think this definitely means we don't see any possible RB4 until 2012. Avoiding oversaturation will keep the market from truly becoming dead.
johnnyhala  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I think HMX would be wise to wait a while before considering RB4. Oversaturation is basically what caused the whole mess IMO, and with the versatility of RB3 + RBN, I don't remotely see a need for a new title.

I 100% agree with this statement. I always felt that RB was being more fair to the customer by offering purely optional DLC rather than periodic disc releases. I know that Guitar Hero has outsold RB BY FAR in retail sales, but I hardly ever hear about anyone downloading songs for Guitar Hero. That's just my personal experience, but I could be wrong. You hear about people's Rock Band Libraries, but not Guitar Hero's.

Now is the time for Rock Band to lay low as far as retail releases go. Anyone new disc I think will sell like RB3 (ie. "poorly"). RB3 has some minor issues, but really, they are minor. All in all, RB3 has everything. With the inclusion of keyboards, harmonies, and most of all PRO Instruments, I don't think the game can go much farther without becoming something besides a game. If I were Harmonix, now that they have no competition from the giant (that they helped create, ironic!), I would push RBN like mad. I would try to get some big names on the RBN bandwagon to make it legitimate to the industry. If I were Harmonix, my goal would be to make my weekly releases obsolete compared to RBN offerings. My immediate goal would be to get a big name with a release pack on RBN as soon as possible and use GH's death to their advantage.

singemfrc wrote:
Honestly I don't see any need for a new title at all. Not in the forseeable future (at least through 2012 if not 2013) There is really nowhere else they can go as far as instruments are concerned. I would be much happier with them at some point just releasing like an "RB3 Setlist Two" pack or something - a mega 70-80 song pack of main setlist caliber but as an RB3 pack (or a "track pack" on the rb3 engine) not a new title, priced at $40 or so. Re-energize without spending all the $ on developing a whole new piece of software.

EXACTLY. Well put. They already have plenty of strong infrastructure designed and in place already. I think they should place their focus on correctly marketing, hopefully in new ways, what I believe is already is a strong product (which is more than what I can say for some GH titles). I think RBN has the most room to benefit and the most potential. I believe it is very underutilized.

tl;dr Push RBN as the major DLC source with a big name band ASAP.

Last edited by johnnyhala on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't see any need for a new title at all. Not in the forseeable future (at least through 2012 if not 2013) There is really nowhere else they can go as far as instruments are concerned. I would be much happier with them at some point just releasing like an "RB3 Setlist Two" pack or something - a mega 70-80 song pack of main setlist caliber but as an RB3 pack (or a "track pack" on the rb3 engine) not a new title, priced at $40 or so. Re-energize without spending all the $ on developing a whole new piece of software.
CNS  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel Harmonix will be okay. The support both Rock Band 3 and Dance Central have gotten is definitely enough to keep them afloat for a while. The only thing is there needs to be a need for advertising.

While it makes sense to not have an RB 4 until 2012 at the earliest, in the short term, the lack of advertising for RB 3 might have a detrimental effect. Let's face it, there wasn't much in terms of RB 3 advertising to begin with, and with the game out now for not even 4 months, I think not many people are going to still be playing, outside of those here on this forum or the Rock Band forums. I'd say we're in for some lean times for the time being.

Seeing as Viacom sold Harmonix, and now the GH series is basically a dead franchise now, the genre itself isn't in good shape. So it would make some level of sense to see Konami try to re-establish itself as a major player in the rhythm game market. I mean, it's all speculation, but I'm sure Konami is privy to the news of what's been going on for the big rhythm game franchises of the last 6 years.

All in all, Harmonix's future, in my opinion, isn't something to worry about. The sale of the company hasn't dented my interest in the RB series, and neither will the possible collapse of the market. Rock Band has been my addiction this generation, what with all the money spent on extra instruments, mods, and DLC. I can't really fathom it disappearing overnight.
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, since I know Rock Band won't last forever, I'd ideally enjoy a near-flawless RB4 this holiday, with DLC continuing until the end of 2012. It's sad to see Guitar Hero end as well (I bought every single one of them, including DS versions), but it was bound to happen. Guitar Hero II is still my favorite game of all time. It changed my life.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Bront  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
You're more likely to see a "Rock Band 3.5" like that if they had like 40-50 songs and the updated platform. Part of the issue with 83 songs was space, which likely lead to some design decisions such as no score duel, and a lack of new clothing, and that the price tag you're talking about, 70-80 songs is asking a lot.

That said, a release like that would allow them to effectively patch the Wii version.

Songs: Just over 1000.
wesker-kun  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont get it

wasnt RB the one that was gonna end?

lol things wont be fun if both die

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
singemfrc wrote:
You're more likely to see a "Rock Band 3.5" like that if they had like 40-50 songs and the updated platform. Part of the issue with 83 songs was space, which likely lead to some design decisions such as no score duel, and a lack of new clothing, and that the price tag you're talking about, 70-80 songs is asking a lot.

That said, a release like that would allow them to effectively patch the Wii version.

I believe there will be at least 2 titles coming our way this year. Let's face it, Harmonix needs to prove it can sell products. Not to us, but to the people who bought them. They bought them as an investment to see if they could make them money. Not because they are fans of the music genre.

I see a Beatles 2 with keys-pro support and another track pack or Rock Band 4? You can pretty much bet the house there will be another disc game this year. Then again, Dance Central 2 could be it as well. And the way sales have gone, I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not too happy about Guitar Hero dying. I loved their guitar hardware. Their games, sometimes. They could never compete with Rock Band dlc's pace.

After Harmonix left to make Rock Band, it was catch up time and they really could never do it. They made a focus to band centric games and added double kick pedal and open bass notes, which was original. But after Harmonix made keys and pro stuff you just felt it was over. They just can't make the same old stuff this year after Rock Band 3.

Wouldn't be surprised if next year we saw a new Guitar Hero game or new IP. These people should also realize releasing games in the late fall versus the big hits will get you nowhere. Why not in the summer where there are less titles and kiddies are on break? Never made sense to me after seeing the numbers of a dying genre.

I don't want to see the same thing happen to Rock Band.
lanceuppercut  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really hope RB4 is a long way off, i've always been a RB'er but unless theres something amazingly new, theres no need to put out a new game for that and would rather simply have a DLC pack with 70-80 songs at new game price instead.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this most definitely does suck, I do hope that HMX jump on the opportunity and do...things with those previous exports. I'd love to play Enter Sandman on the RB3 engine, and it's definitely possible. Also, there's definitely a chance for things to happen with RHCP, at least.

As for them not doing a band-centric game...I don't think they'll avoid the opportunity if another major, major band has their own game. It may be time for Pink Floyd...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if we see a non track pack Rock Band this year, it's probably going to be a Lego Rock Band 2 or something along those lines.

Of course, people would probably like a Beatles Rock Band 2 with full support for Pro Keys/Drums/Guitar/Bass and allows exporting Beatles Rock Band into it :P
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why there has to be a Beatles Rock Band 2 when they should just release more DLC for the original TB:RB to finish off all the songs.

Although Let It Be on PRO Keys would be freakin EPIC, just sayin. :3

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:
I just don't understand why there has to be a Beatles Rock Band 2 when they should just release more DLC for the original TB:RB to finish off all the songs.

I feel as if you made a redundant post.
PlatStrat  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
DarthFizz wrote:

I feel as if you made a redundant post.

Yup keys/pro instruments is the reason for wanting a new game rather than simply more DLC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: