FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How many hands do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xGaberadex  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shik4maru wrote:
if you think it’s hard to press, imagine what it could be on a real piano
It's actually easier to press the black keys on a real piano than the RB:3 keyboard, well for mine at least...But, every other piano that I've got to play on, it's been the same case as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xGaberadex wrote:
shik4maru wrote:
if you think it’s hard to press, imagine what it could be on a real piano
It's actually easier to press the black keys on a real piano than the RB:3 keyboard, well for mine at least...But, every other piano that I've got to play on, it's been the same case as well.

indeed... black keys on rb3 keyboard are a lot harder to press than on any real keyboard or piano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Maybe this is why my scores went up when I switched to a real keyboard.
shik4maru  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really ? so this is not an isolated case, that throws away the idea of a defective keyboard maybe I’m just lucky but I don’t have any problems pressing black keys on mine

off-topic : blingdomepiece how do you manage to use the pitch bend ? I once tried to play with my keyboard (Roland D-20) but I find that the pitch bend stick does not raise the od bar as much as the touch strip on the rb3 keyboard but maybe I’m just not using it properly. tbh I’d love to play with it on rb but I need to solve this “issue” or else I won’t be able to go for high scores

[EDIT] Ok, I gave it a second thought and tried Light My Fire where my score was one of my worst. I figured out I broke many combos not because I hit some extra keys like I initially though, but indeed because I was missing lots of chords with black keys in it…
stephit  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use one hand most the time although i have been using 2 hands more than i should on some parts but i think thats because i've only just started playing pro keys, i think i will use just 1 hand more as i get better though

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shik4maru wrote:
off-topic : blingdomepiece how do you manage to use the pitch bend ? I once tried to play with my keyboard (Roland D-20) but I find that the pitch bend stick does not raise the od bar as much as the touch strip on the rb3 keyboard but maybe I’m just not using it properly. tbh I’d love to play with it on rb but I need to solve this “issue” or else I won’t be able to go for high scores

I'm using a Nord Lead which has a pitch bend "knob", and it seems to work as well as the touch strip (e.g. on the Police on-disc song I can just barely get a half-bar of OD on the first phrase using either one if I "whammy" early enough). The main adjustment with a real keyboard wasn't that, it was having to go to my hip to activate OD. If you had a section where you had to activate while whammying, it would not be possible to do so. Of course you could attach the MPA to the keyboard itself or come up with some other setup. Some people have spliced a foot pedal into the MPA which is probably the best solution.
emsegs  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two, I couldn't pass a song on pro keys without both.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
shik4maru wrote:

I'm using a Nord Lead which has a pitch bend "knob", and it seems to work as well as the touch strip (e.g. on the Police on-disc song I can just barely get a half-bar of OD on the first phrase using either one if I "whammy" early enough). The main adjustment with a real keyboard wasn't that, it was having to go to my hip to activate OD. If you had a section where you had to activate while whammying, it would not be possible to do so. Of course you could attach the MPA to the keyboard itself or come up with some other setup. Some people have spliced a foot pedal into the MPA which is probably the best solution.

And isn't it awful that we have to resort to a mod for this? Pedal jack should have been standard issue on the MPA.

I might do this operation on mine if the price on them falls far enough.
jhsa  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former setup (before moving) for one handed play with easy bending and OD-activation. Left hand rests on the bend stick and thumb on the OD button.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyp1e wrote:
I don't play anything two handed anymore. I used to play a couple of songs that way, but I don't anymore. Everything is with one hand only now.

Having said that, I sort of think that I'm not getting as high up on the leaderboard because of folks playing some of these same songs that I play with one hand, using two.

I'm considering playing some songs two handed soon. Particularly or maybe at least, Roundabout.

I'm just hitting too many walls on some of the really high tiered songs and I don't think I have even five starred a bucket full that should have been done ages ago.

Anyone still resisting the temptation? Anyone recently made the leap from one hand to two?

I'm still not prepared to take that step, but I'm leaning in that direction.
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyp1e wrote:
I'm considering playing some songs two handed soon. Particularly or maybe at least, Roundabout.

I'm just hitting too many walls on some of the really high tiered songs and I don't think I have even five starred a bucket full that should have been done ages ago.

Anyone still resisting the temptation? Anyone recently made the leap from one hand to two?

I'm still not prepared to take that step, but I'm leaning in that direction.

I personally hate two-handing, although in many cases it seems necessary, or at least beneficial. In the harder songs that I've played, I use two hands on some parts for one main reason: octave wrapping.

If you don't know what octave wrapping is, it's when notes are shifted down or up an octave to accommodate for the two-octave limit on RB3. So if I play some long scale going up the keyboard, eventually notes on the screen will be repeating on the same octave, because there aren't as many octaves on the RB3 keyboard as there are on a real keyboard.

So in this case, I think it's fair to use two hands. Some extreme cases of this are in Flight of the Bumblebee. I've almost tech FCed this song, and I one-hand most of it except in parts like the intro. The intro is octave wrapped because you can hear the notes getting lower and lower, but the game makes it so that the notes keep repeating on the same octave. For something like this, I use my left hand for the bottom two notes (F# and F) because it's simply not realistic to play that part completely one handed. That's not how the actual pianist played it; that's not how I'll play it. I think that's pretty fair.

I also use two hands for parts that are played one-handed, like the Roundabout guitar break. In this case, although both one-handing and two-handing the section are both realistically FCable ways to FC the section (the actual keyboardist did play that guitar break one-handed in the first place), then you *should* use one hand if you can. This is where I regret using two hands, but I don't know, it just makes it easier for me and for a lot of others.

In this case, I wouldn't say it's necessarily "bad" to use two hands. But I believe that it does minimize the feeling of accomplishment when you do FC the song and it definitely doesn't make the FC as impressive as if you one-handed it. Still though, don't be afraid to take that leap of using two hands on some songs; just about everyone does it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: