FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Long songs sold as separate songs: Yes or no?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2n2 wrote:
I'd pay $4 for Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

not really sure what the cutoff would be for raising the price if they did decide to release longer songs and charge more for them, but it would seem unfair to double the cost for Rime of the Ancient Mariner which is under 14 minutes when The Camera Eye is at regular price at over 10 minutes.

Something like Crimson by Edge of Sanity on the other hand would seem unfair to harmonix to price normally, since it lasts 40 minutes, and is itself the only track on its album. In this case, I doubt many people would buy it anyway, but some of the other long songs mentioned (like six degrees of inner turbulence) would probably need to be split up or cost more than normal.

I'd be ok with paying more for a song that's around 20 minutes or longer if i wanted the song, but if it is split up into different tracks on the album like six degrees of inner turbulence, I think I'd prefer that they sell it split up.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most generous thing a consumer has ever done. You guys are asking them to basically rip you off.

It's not like these songs cost more money on Itunes, don't give them an excuse to bend us over with costs.
gdl176  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
It's not like these songs cost more money on Itunes

Yeah they do. Anything over 10 minutes is album only.

yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdl176 wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

What really? Well screw Itunes.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdl176 wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

Ya trying to buy progressive songs is always interesting with itunes, you end up just getting an entire album anyway.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the main issue. It's been stated that the reason songs aren't much longer than 10 minutes is due to imposing memory issues on both the 360 and PS3. Songs through the RBN are permitted to be 30 seconds - 10 minutes in length. So discuss it all you want, until consoles have much larger RAM cache, it simply wont happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:
If the tracks are separate on the CD, yep.

If they aren't, chances are HMX isn't going to turn it into an RB track anyway, so it's a moot point. I'm not exactly expecting one of those Mars Volta 40+ minute songs to show up, nor something on the level of Sleep's mighty Dopesmoker.

There's a lot of precedent for HMX separating tracks that are together on an album though. I've never seen "Release" and "Master/Slave" as separate tracks on Ten but HMX did it. Granted that's a case where it's a "hidden track" with like 2 minutes of silence in between, but it's still a precedent for RB releases of songs split up differently than the album version.
The0ldMan  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a song could be split and then grouped, like an album, where when you click on the album title it adds all the song parts to a playlist, then you just get short beaks between the sections. I wish they'd add a stats screen for overall playlist results. Like if you FC'd 5 songs in a row, you'd get like a 4500 not streak, etc.

Right now, The Camera Eye is my favorite song on drums. If the song stays interesting, I'd love to sit down and play a 25-minute opus. And why not charge more for longer songs? They should already be charging less for shorter ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: The0ldMan
ItsGH  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we'll get longer songs is if HMX seperates them, so the game can actually load and play them.

I would be okay with playing Rush's 2112 as 5 separate movements, but I agree, a "whole setlist" stats screen would be very nice, and if HMX did release something like 2112, which had to be played as a Setlist, I could see them implementing something like it, as the whole playing it as a setlist thing is a workaround for the console's lack of ability.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr34k wrote:
Here's the main issue. It's been stated that the reason songs aren't much longer than 10 minutes is due to imposing memory issues on both the 360 and PS3. Songs through the RBN are permitted to be 30 seconds - 10 minutes in length. So discuss it all you want, until consoles have much larger RAM cache, it simply wont happen.

At the same time, we know that Camera Eye, which was already released, is just over 11 minutes in length. Unless resource allocation is going to be less efficient for an RBN track than it was for the Camera Eye, I suspect that the true technical limitation is somewhere north of 11 minutes.
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Phr34k wrote:

At the same time, we know that Camera Eye, which was already released, is just over 11 minutes in length. Unless resource allocation is going to be less efficient for an RBN track than it was for the Camera Eye, I suspect that the true technical limitation is somewhere north of 11 minutes.

The true technical limitation probably is somewhere closer to 11 or 12 minutes, but I suppose they figured 10 minutes was a nice round number for RBN purposes; also to be quite honest, I think 99% of songs in popular rock-and-roll-type music are under 10 minutes. I have a playlist on iTunes of all my songs that are over 9 minutes long and it's about 30 songs out of my ~5000 total, and I listen to Rush, Metallica and some other bands that put out very long songs.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
The true technical limitation probably is somewhere closer to 11 or 12 minutes,

It could also be 14, or 16, or 20. The truth is we really don't know. All we know is that an 11 minute long song is possible when HMX (as opposed to someone else) is doing the charting.

But yes, such songs would be in the minority. That isn't really a reason to forbid them though. The market ultimately decides what flourishes and what does not, if you let it. So I believe that a technical limitation IS the reason, it's just one that doesn't kick in at 10 minutes and we don't know when it does.
gdl176  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
I've never seen "Release" and "Master/Slave" as separate tracks on Ten but HMX did it.

Actually... they didn't. Master/Slave has been a separate master track from the start. Go and check Pearl Jam's Myspace sometime, you'll find it as a separate listenable track there.

This is just like Oceans. You never heard those drums that came in near the last third of the song, but it was already there, already finished, already mastered. Their old drummer Dave has even said that the song had drums tracked on it from the beginning. They just thought having nothing but the timpani (sp?) parts sounded cool on the record.

bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdl176 wrote:
bclare wrote:
I've never seen "Release" and "Master/Slave" as separate tracks on Ten but HMX did it.

Actually... they didn't. Master/Slave has been a separate master track from the start. Go and check Pearl Jam's Myspace sometime, you'll find it as a separate listenable track there.

This is just like Oceans. You never heard those drums that came in near the last third of the song, but it was already there, already finished, already mastered. Their old drummer Dave has even said that the song had drums tracked on it from the beginning. They just thought having nothing but the timpani (sp?) parts sounded cool on the record.

I don't doubt that it's a separate master track, I'm just saying that on the album the songs "Release" and "Master/Slave" are together on one track. I'd imagine 2112 is split up into multiple masters also, same for anything sufficiently long (excluding newer songs that could have been recorded all digital)

Just to be clear, here's the track listing for Ten
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_(Pearl_Jam_album)#Track_listing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: