FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
blingdomepiece - The slow pro key 5* grind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another song I like playing leaves the list. This was one of those "struggle-to-pass" songs when I first got it because the chords change constantly. Also all the hardest bits of the song seem to be the OD phrases :-P. Anyway my hand/fingers seem to be strong enough to play through the whole thing fairly consistently, given that I ground it for almost two hours just now. This was my only 98% run, with four 97% runs, but the key was just hitting almost all the ODs in the same run... game is pretty capricious that way . (My highest run before a couple days ago was 94%).

Annoying. I have found just about every way to blow a 5* on this before finally getting it. There's stuff in each verse that's basically unhittable for me so I have to more or less FC the rest of the song and use OD judiciously. Glad I won't have to play it anymore.
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving right along i see I must say i've been following your progress for quite some time and i'm thoroughly impressed by it! Its even inspired me to give pro keys another try, and its definitely a lot of fun! Granted i have to play on no fail and can only try for 3/4* but what the hey, still fun
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I appreciate that coming from such a ridiculously good rhythm gamer. I was watching you through leagues and just saying "Yup, there he goes again" . I have no doubt you'll kick ass at PK, it's just getting used to a different way of doing things in time. But the main thing is having fun and improving.

So yeah, I had to grind this to the bone to get a 4* in November. Played it about 45 minutes last night to re-obtain the 4*, and an hour on top today. Dunno what to say about this, it's a real piano song, lots of changing hand positions and all that. A couple of chords I had to hit in different-than-usual ways because they set up stuff after that I can't hit if I form them my normal way. I guess a big difference between now and November is the grace notes killed me before and now they are not really an issue, especially being able to just thumb-index them nicely.

It was funny, I had the best "oh man I am hitting everything this run" run and got to the end and had 176K and a 4*. Looked up the cutoff on rockbandscores and saw it was 193K and was like "How am I going to do that again, let alone add on another 17K?". Usually my instinct is pretty good for when a run comes together enough to get me across, but there aren't a lot of noticeably point-dense areas of this song, so I probably overestimated how much one less combo break here and there would help me.

Anyway I had two more 172K runs and then this run where I just hit little missy part after missy part. Although I hit 95% of the notes, most of the misses come in 2-3 clumps. Also the RBS cutoff was wrong and I think I hit the 5* at 191K. I think if I'd seriously missed the cutoff by 1000 I'd have had to quit for a week .

19 songs left in the Challenging tier.
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! That would have been devastating if you got just a few thousand points off. Nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man.

This one came in 4 runs with no practice, run before this was 166K. The hard part of this song (for me) is the quick transitions to 4-note chords, especially since most of the chords in this song are a bit unusual to me.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best run before this was 171K, or 106K lower. This is not a complex song, it's just a chorus I couldn't hit before with one hand because I didn't have the chops. The way I hit it now is use the thumb for the low note (obviously) and then if it's two notes for the higher chord use index-ring, and if it's one note use middle. I don't know if that's logical or dumb but it makes it easy for me not to get confused because every finger has one job even when the higher fingers are changing notes.

The run before this one I missed all three pre-chorus ODs because I just forgot how to hit that section, so once I practiced it and pretty much comboed the choruses the score skyrocketed. I was vaguely curious if I'd hit gold but that's another 20K off.

I've now hit 85% 5* and have exactly 75 songs to go...
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bling, I have to applaud your continued commitment and dedication to playing keys and going for 5 stars. There arent many on the site anymore that are still really at it and its nice to see you still going strong!!
malkieriking  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's always nice to see improvement in a time where there aren't many sources of it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I just haven't been documenting it lately, but your constant work to get better and leave the shades up for everyone to see what's going on in the blingdomepiece band residence is really cool.

Keep up the progress, and definitely keep telling us about it whenever it happens. We love seeing it (even if I fail to comment every time, I promise I'm reading it).

zage1337, in my accomplishments thread wrote:
Ever since I started Blitz I played the silver ball
From Thrasher down to One Vision, I've must've played them all
but you aint seen nothing like him in any song at all
that malkieriking SURE PLAYS A MEAN PINBALL
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments, but it's also no problem to me whether people comment or not, because I am doing this for myself. I think some folks here in the past have gotten discouraged because they were playing for the approval of others, and while it's nice to get that, I don't think it's healthy for it to be reason #1. Anyway...

No more 5* this week. I am shifting gears and trying to 4* some of the harder stuff that I still have left (which is obviously a bridge I have to cross if I'm going to eventually 5* them). I ended up picking up 11 this week;

Never Gonna Give You Up -- got the chorus, need the verses.
Thrill Is Gone -- got stuck around 4 1/2 stars on this.
Revolution Rock -- Needs serious work particularly in choruses.
Modern Love -- 90% notes hit but streak of 37 isn't going to cut it.
I'm Still Standing -- Got most of it down except for the "I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah" bits... too bad it repeats 10 times at the end .
Shelter Me -- 68% on the first sax solo
Sir Duke -- still suck at this (79% NH) but just used OD better to get 4*
Perfect Day -- another song I can't streak on, high of 37.
TWANG -- really just had to play it 5 or 6 times in a row.

And the two I'm happier about:

Light My Fire -- brought this from 78% to 87% notes hit. A lot of the improvement comes from playing bass notes with the thumb and high three-note chords without the thumb, instead of using the thumb always and jumping.
Paradise by the Dashboard Light -- my first pass of this way back when required doing verse 2 with two hands, under overdrive. Now I can pass that with one hand and no activation, which lets me use that OD for a section I can 8x. Still pretty far from 5* (250K) but it seems more plausible to work on that now that I can pass it on demand.

This exercise is allowing me to dig into songs I've only passed once a while back. In most cases I am re-passing them in 1-2 tries with higher scores, which is pretty cool. I have 33 songs left to 4*, and if I can pick up another 8, I'll be sitting at 95% overall. Hopefully doing that will build the skills/consistency I need to get some more 5*s.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I have 33 songs left to 4*, and if I can pick up another 8, I'll be sitting at 95% overall.

Done. 7 of the 8 songs were final tier, and Tragedy is Nightmare tier.

Weird Science: I still suck at the xylophone (?) bit that comes up three times in the song, but I've managed to get decent at the rest of the song. I actually wonder if I could eventually 5* it based on the parts I know, since there's a chord-dense part at the end that I could theoretically go through at 8x. At this point I still miss 2-4 times in that section which prevents the kind of points buildup I'd need.

Tragedy: Play the verses with index and middle on the two middle notes. If they would slow down the song a bit it would be perfect; I'd be able to combo the verses and the vocals would sound normal. As it is I was able to occasionally get a bit of a multiplier in the verses and then limp over the 4* cutoff.

Prelude / Angry Young Man:

I remember this song was so hard for me to pass. In addition to playing right-handed I also play with failing on, so for some of these songs the trick to 4* is to get from needing OD to pass, to being able to use OD wherever I want. I also used to always miss the choruses until I figured out an alternate fingering for the chords that is more hittable (I can get it about 50% of the time instead of 0%). The other improvement is that I can now get 98%+ on the intro bit that repeats twice more in the song, so that is where I activate OD. I can BS my way to 60% in the synth solo, and I still suck at the ending arpeggios, but now that I'm good at the intro bit I hit the arpeggios with full meter so I don't fail.

Touch Me: I am still missing unison ODs in the two pre-verses. Other than that I'm just more consistent, going from 83% to 88%. I can't hit the chord sequence in the chorus (with C# as the low note) so I just hit two of the three shapes there. Pretty much everything else I have a fighting chance. I get a lot of the points in the outro, with a longish 8x activation.

Do You Feel Like We Do?: Really epic song. I still need OD to pass the piano solo here. There are 14 (!) sections before you even get there, so I took those into practice so that I could have a full bar of OD and a reasonable multiplier when I hit the three-note chord section in the early guitar solo. After the piano solo there's a point I can activate with mostly 8x, and then I get OD again so I can activate on the long trill. I then save OD for the chordfest in the outro. I don't bother with OD in the ending trills because I can't hold combo there but I can get enough not to be in danger of failing out. This song wasn't so bad once I took those early parts into practice... it's just hard to figure out how to tackle 14 minutes.

I've Seen All Good People: I just hit the 189K cutoff. Got about 80K of that at the end. The regular riff in the second half of the song is pretty tricky to hit, and at the end of that there's a gliss and then into the ending three-note chords. So the trick is to be hitting that part reasonably well, then hit the gliss and then hit the first note of those chords with a decent multiplier. I then activate there (starting at a 6x). Later in the ending chords there's another OD phrase that can be whammied for an activation, so I get to activate again with 8x. My passing run in December was 79% and I got it up to 90% for the 4*.

Somebody to Love:

I still don't play this "properly" in the sense that I know that what I should be doing is saving my thumb for the low notes below F, and then hitting all the higher chord stuff with my other fingers. What I do instead is use my thumb in most of those chords and then jump back and forth on the keyboard when I have to. I've actually gotten pretty decent at gauging the distance I need to go . But it's hard to get a consistent multiplier for the first half of the song. I also can't hold a combo in the chorus and miss the two chorus ODs every time. The post-chorus is easy and the second post-chorus is where I do my first activation with an 8x (ideally). Once the break hits, the rest of the song is pretty learnable (as I did to get the 4*). For the break itself, I anchor my thumb on C and cross over when the low note comes. For the outro I used to play the three-low notes including C and then try to jump up and hit the high part, and then I realized I could instead just play the two low notes, and then cross over and hit the C with the thumb, which changes the part from cumbersome/error-prone to pretty easy.

Tweezer:

Another song I still need OD to pass, in the Jam at the end. Fortunately there's a unison phrase early on in the jam that I can now hit every time, so I can play the rest of the song for points and rely on that phrase to bail me out when I need it. There are a lot of trills and glisses in the first half of the song, and most of the ODs involving chords end on a fairly awkward chord (for me). Same one every time so I eventually got used to it. This is yet another song where I have to focus on lifting my fingers off the keyboard enough because otherwise I don't register a second hit on a key. It's not that there is a fast part, it's that there are two different chords that share a key, and so the second time I will not register that one key if I play it too "sideways" or something. The outro should be learnable eventually for more points but I haven't gotten to that point yet, I just play it well enough to not fail (it also looks really tedious to memorize/practice so there's that).

The 25 songs I have left to 4* are:

(10, maybe more gettable):
* Love Rollercoaster - 8K short, need consistency
* Pressure
* Sweet Home Alabama
* Cry Cry Cry - haven't figured out how to play parts of this
* Glory of Love - 30K short but maybe could combo the choruses
* Crippled Inside
* Why Can't We Be Friends - this I should have but I keep messing it up
* Remedy - pretty slow to improve
* American Pie
* The Bitch is Back - 17K back, maybe if I can combo the V1 chords...

(15, not really holding my breath):
* Heart of the Sunrise
* Roundabout
* Higher Ground
* I Wish
* She's Always A Woman
* The Stranger
* Frankenstein
* Free Ride
* The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia
* On the Backs of Angels
* Oh Yoko
* Me and Bobby McGee
* The Weight (Live)
* Heart of Rock and Roll
* What's Your Name

I now have 100 more stars to go overall... 50 songs to go up by 1, and 25 to go up by 2.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long weekend in Canada so I've been playing through some stuff, had a good day.

Only got this from 83% to 86% but basically FCed all the parts of the song I can possibly hit and used OD optimally.

Played this about 15 times. There's a three chord sequence that just repeats over and over and I kept having dumb misses.

I used to need OD to pass the bridge but now I can hit about 90% of it on a good run, which allowed me to use my OD on parts I could combo. I don't pick up a lot of points on the bridges though so I need to combo most of the rest of the song to 5* it.

72 songs to go.
mazegeek999PSN  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice job with all of that so far, keep it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always Maze.

A lot of the songs I have left are going to be some work but fortunately this one fell fairly quickly. In a lot of ways the chart is like Bon Jovi's Runaway, where the key parts are fairly fast chordfest with some changing parts. There is some stamina required for it but it's not as bad as Runaway. The earlier tiered Carrie Underwood song (Before He Cheats) was a much bigger pain in the ass to be honest. A song like this one is best played after you are already warmed up... I had started my set with The Entertainer and Child in Time so I was warm.

71 songs to go.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a couple more last night, polar opposite charts in a sense.

Love Her Madly is pretty fun (RIP Ray Manzarek) and the part's a good test of a few things, like moving two-note chords (a lot of Doors tracks are good for this) and moving the upper notes of a chord while keeping the lower note unchanged.

Sober is not a keyboard part but you are just approximating what a string section played on the actual song, so the part is fairly unintuitive and annoying. I was able to memorize the order of the "chords" in the second chorus so that I could hit the bridge with a full 8x, and that got me enough points. Required a lot of restarts because the notes are spread out and I couldn't afford to miss in the first couple of minutes.

Working on a lot of other things but nothing seems imminent. 69 songs to go.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is 10 minutes long and I played it at least a dozen times, so that's 2 hours + practice. Caps off a pretty good week with 7 new 5*s, and this was my only final tier 5* of the month.

Dunno what to say about this song... there are two breaks in it.. highest I got after the first break was immediately after practicing it, 157K. Best I did in any subsequent run including restarts was 126K with a full bar of OD and a full multiplier. The second part of the song is mostly chords and a few other tricky parts I learned. Because there are so many places to miss in the song I only got out of here with a 4* once, 194K, on this final run.

For the build-up, it's tempting to activate OD on the shifting two-note chords, but I had a tendency to miss there whenever I activated and hit it whenever I didn't, which obviously is in my head, but whatever. So instead I would horde OD to hit the guitar solo with as much as possible. The first part of the guitar solo is chaos, and the last two parts aren't too bad with a lot of glisses, so that is where I activated, and just needed to have a run where I hit enough gliss-to-chord transitions to keep combo and start the next glisses at 8x.

I actually hit 5* on the piddly 3K big-rock-ending... I knew the cutoff though so there was no suspense . I had 3 or 4 runs between 290K and 305K and a bunch of others in the 260-280 range plus restarts that would have ended up in that range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Accomplishments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: