FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
People More Involved w/ Music Tend to Better at Drums?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augthebomb  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: People More Involved w/ Music Tend to Better at Drums? Reply with quote

I was just thinking of this. I mean, I have a lot of friends who play RB, but only some of them listen to music often or play a musical instrument. The ones that do seem to do much better at drums; the ones that don't can't keep a good beat and epicly fail on easy songs like Float On lol. I conclude that people who are more involved with music are typically better at drums than people who aren't involved with music. Does anyone else agree?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Kamen Islands
Waffles007  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes sense, i don't see why not. i have basically no previous formal music training/heavy experience, but i'm pretty much the best at rb drums out of the people i know irl. that's not saying much, and it's not like i just go up to every single one of my friends and ask them how good they are at rb drums or whatever, but yeah.

i don't see why it should be easier for someone with no musical experience, really.
Jared1287  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know somebody goes around scorehero here, that's a pretty damn good drummer, that really doesn't listen to music much. Just an example.

I mean, to me, it really depends if you go by ear, or strictly by note chart. I use a combination generally.
SloRacer1080  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, yea someone who regularly listens to music is going to have a much better understanding of what is happening while playing RockBand.

But on the flip-side, all these games really are is simple hand-eye coordination. And as far as that goes, you either have it or you don't I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm definately not that amazing at drums but i do think i'm decent for having no musical background. i DO listen to music A LOT and enjoy many different types. i can definately say that just hearing music every day helped me pick up on drum beats and let me advance far faster then anyone else i knew irl.
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Spartan99  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not always true.
My friend who is in high school marching band can hit alot of the insane fills but can't keep beat on normal patterns.

I'm pretty decent on drums while never have played theme before.
I'm not capable of FC's because of my Kit but I can gold some songs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty extensive musical background and picked up on the drums comparatively quickly (virgin to Expert in 1-2 weeks). It has to do with the necessary skills, which basically equates to the following:

1) Rhythm
2) Interpreting patterns on a screen
3) Translating said patterns to hand activities

I played piano for a LONG time, which I think made it easy to pick up the game since the limiting factor isn't figuring out WHAT I should be doing as much as making it happen. Parsing the drum chart even on a sightread is a snap (save REALLY weird things like Rob's Spaz Fill), I'm just limited by making my limbs do what my brain is telling them.

Underdrive  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any experience with drumming when I started but I knew a ton about music theory. And right away I picked up on how the drummers job is to guide the rest of the band using the time signature, most songs being 4/4. That helped me to play by ear and incorporate the bass well, then I moved up pretty quickly to the more complex fills and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played guitar for about a year before Rock Band. I think having a sense of rhythm makes it easier. Being an ok guitarist, I have some rhythm, and even more now because of Rock Band. I listen to loads of music, that's just my thing.

In my case, my small musical background helped heaps.
Recent (good)GS - Colony of Birchmen
GT: SaltinesRR
Drummer/Guitarist/Bassist/Vocalist for Headless Federation
Awesome Flash Game, MyBrute. (NSFW My character has an inappropriate name)
pianojuggler4  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProffessorJoe wrote:
i'm definately not that amazing at drums

lawl.

But I agree that being around music definitely helps. I had never drummed before and I'm better than everyone I've met irl. I played about 6 years of piano, have my ipod going all the time, know a lot of music theory, etc. But I also have a ton of hand eye coordination (juggling, billiards, etc), so I can't tell which part of me is making me decent at drums.

XBL GT: XRhythms
PhatTrumpet  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A musical background definitely helps tons initially for obvious reasons, but I don't think it has much effect in the long run. Just look at all the late-emerging talents on the drum scene. I mean initially it was pretty much just someguy, IBPH, Gurn, azurite, (probably a couple more I'm forgetting), all of whom played real drums. Now we've got people coming out of nowhere getting insane FCs, most with no drumming experience, some with no musical experience whatsoever.
Bass:      9,226,503 [58 GS, 57 FC]  13,319,824 [83 GS, 83 FC]  22,546,327 [141GS, 140FC]
Drums:    11,105,579 [57 GS, 37 FC]  15,512,780 [76 GS, 36 FC]  26,618,359 [133GS, 73 FC]
Vocals:   11,525,519 [58 GS, 58 FC]  17,302,340 [84 GS, 84 FC]  28,827,859 [142GS, 142FC]
All-Inst: 42,269,027 [231GS, 206FC]  61,262,972 [326GS, 271FC] 103,531,999 [557GS, 477FC]
Rock Band Accomplishments Thread | Guitar Hero Accomplishments Thread
bob150  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to be a drummer in a marching band so I can do rolls no problems, Sometimes fills mess me up though. I have a pretty good understanding of rythym. Most of the osngs fromRB1 + 2 I have on my Mp3 player which helps a LOT. I listen to music all the time at work and when I'm home. I'm not the best drummer in thworld, but I play expert on RB1 with like 20-25 FC's and Hard-Expert on RB2, I think I've got like 10-15 fc's there too.
One3Se7eN  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared1287 wrote:
I know somebody goes around scorehero here, that's a pretty damn good drummer, that really doesn't listen to music much. Just an example.
Yeah, I'm pretty much just loling at this entire thread :]

To the OP, I'm pretty much the exact opposite of your theory. According to rbstats.com, I'm ranked 35th on 360 but have probably only willingly (outside of Rock Band) listened to under 150 songs my ENTIRE LIFE.

Need hi-res pictures of any of the 4 instrument icons? Your search is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ThePinkDrummer
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I play bass in real life, but I'm not great at drums. I'm really good at figuring out complicated rhythms, which is good for showing off in practice mode, but I suck at rolls and fast-ish kicks. So there might be some truth to your theory.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only makes sense that those with a musical background are going to have a headstart on those that don't in any rhythm based game. That isn't to say that those who don't have a strong musical background can't be really good as well.

I have also heard that those who are good at math can pick up music more easily as well, which makes sense and would apply in this case too I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: