FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Greatest Hybrid Guitar- 100% Functional Rock Band Les Paul
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Greatest Hybrid Guitar- 100% Functional Rock Band Les Paul Reply with quote

More pics on page 2

From Concept to reality:

This was a huge effort and I am finally finished with this project. I bought 2 broken Guitar Hero 3 Les Pauls and one wired Rock Band Stratocaster and combined them to produce this:

It has all of the benefits from the guitar hero fret buttons and strum bar that we all know and love and all of the functionality of the Stratocaster including (full size) solo buttons, effects selector, and adjustable tilt sensor.
I originally attempted to include the motherboard from both the Les Paul and Stratocaster to make this guitar fully functional with both games, b ut that proved impossible due to a reversed whammy potentiometer and both boards shorting out when connected to each other. The later problem could in theory be controlled using an elaborate system of diodes and switches but since I don't actually own GH3 for the XBOX this wasn't a requirement.

The obstacles were many and involved some creative circuitry aided by a breadboard and the physical modding resulted in piles of shaved plastic in my apartment. The hardest part was figuring out how to adapt the fret buttons to work for the Strat. The strat uses 10 leads for the 2 sets of 5 buttons and one common ground. The Les Paul uses 8 wires that ended up being in a crazy configuration. Thanks to anyone who tried to help me figure this out in this post, but it turned out to be really weird. Here are the details and how I overcame them:

(thumbnail)

To adapt this board to work on the Strat, I needed to separate the common leads for the Blue/Yellow/Red wire. I did this by using a dremmel to first cut the connection at two points. I them soldered a wire to the metal circle below the red contact and them had to create a connection for the yellow. I lightly dremmeled off the coating of the wire connection at a spot I picked that was halfway between contacts. These solder contacts are very fragile so I reinforced them with a small spot of hot glue. These have to be done at a point on the edge to minimize the wire and glue bulge interference with the rubber button thing.

All of the grounds from all colors and both sets of buttons are soldered together to the one common Stratocaster ground.

The d-pad was adapted from the Les Pauls to be wired to the Strats motherboard. A bit of wire was soldered onto the edges of these contacts. One wire from each button were wired together and used as a common ground.

I had to cut out the whammy bar post from the Strat and glue it into place in the LP's body. The Les Pauls whammy is incompatable with the Strats.
The Effects selector was also cut out of the Strat and glued into place. The start and back buttons use a separate ground in the Les Paul that is now a common ground for the Strat. The tilt sensor is just duct taped into place and can be adjusted for angle. A lot of other bits of plastic and stuff needed to be cut out to make everything fit. The Strat's circuit board is held in place by velcro tape.

The XBOX button was hidden in the back, glued into place. I also made a removable chord in preparation for the dual use wireless Les Paul and this turned out to not be needed, but is kind of handy now anyway. There is also a switch near the back that I used to use as song selection mute button. Now it serves as the on/off switch for my green LED light.

I filled in the hole left my the moved XBOX guide button originally with a clear glass gem counter with green foil underneath. That looked pretty good because it would catch the light and sparkle green.
It has now been replaced with an white LED light sitting in a green faceted plastic casing. It looks pretty slick when played in low light.

I finished it all off with a custom guitar skin from www.herogear.net that I originally submitted the simpler design that looks like my concept above. The guy who runs HeroGear, GTJem (of painting guide fame) took my concept and ran with it. He found a high rez almost 3D kind of image that I was happy to swap out my design for. I was so happy how it came out!!

**Check out all of those pics on page 2.

Last edited by BriGuy on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 am; edited 8 times in total
BigZ7337  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, that guitar is freaking sweet While I'm on a 360, I'm still curious if you think this mod would work for the ps3? Making the les paul compatible with RB.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duude that's awesome! I was thinking of moving my strat parts into a LP shell for a cleaner look and a tighter strum bar (the old explorer shell has seen better days), but this outdoes my idea ten to one lol
suckaface  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if this was possible.....the full sized solo buttons are a great touch. Is there any way you could switch them to the regular 5 buttons so you could play normally, then tap the solos without moving your hand?

Anyways, well done!

Rock Band: Led Zeppelin
Nivlheim  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suckaface wrote:
Is there any way you could switch them to the regular 5 buttons so you could play normally, then tap the solos without moving your hand?

I'm not BriGuy, but I bet they already work like that if they're wired the same as the Strat solo buttons. If you mean using them as regular frets and strumming outside the solo sections that is.
Spironic  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job!

Looks like it could use some paint to flush in the part where you attached the extra buttons, though.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on putting the final touches on it which include cleaning up the neck connection, filling in the former XBOX button hole and putting the new skin on. I'll be updating this soon when I have some more free time.

As for the solot buttons. They work in the same manner as a Rock Band Stratocaster. The buttons closer to the body can be played for the whole song, but they autostrum for solo's and big rock endings. I'm starting to get used to the button placement (which is farther out than a Strats) but I will still get my fingers lost and not be able to recover as quickly as when I use the main set of buttons.

After a weekend of harcore rocking, this guitar has served myself and my friends greatly, and I recommend this type of mod to anyone who has the time, money, and talent to pull it off.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give you $100 to make me one for the ps2, depending on how long it'll take.....
xEsCxInSaNITy  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome, could have made the buttons closer together though.
nickaix  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet mod. Really sweet. I can appreciate the trouble you went thru, too, b/c I'm trying something similar.

I'm trying to put Xplorer guts into a 360 Strat to create a dual-function doomsday device. I'm experiencing some of the same problems you did, what w/ the boards shorting each other out, and the 8 wire vs 6 wire fretboard stuff. I think I got that much figured out (lots and lots of diodes!) but any words of wisdom are totally appreciated!

What I really want to know about tho, is the reverse-polarity Pot. Do you know if it's the same on the Xplorer as on the Les Paul? Any way it can be overcome? Any help is much appreciated!
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickaix wrote:
What I really want to know about tho, is the reverse-polarity Pot. Do you know if it's the same on the Xplorer as on the Les Paul? Any way it can be overcome? Any help is much appreciated!

I'm not sure about how the XPlorer is wired up. For the Les Paul and Strat pot problems, I tried the following with no success. I tried wiring up both motherboards to the other's whammy and rearranging the wiring and tested the full range of both sets with no success.

You might be able to get really creative with the internals by rigging up your main whammy to the base of the other (minus the bar part). This could maybe be done in a side by side fashion or in a row. Basically rig it up so that whammying one physically whammys the other.
^Good luck with that one by the way.

The other thing I considered doing (if I was able to get the shorting out problem solved) was wire up an auto-whammy button. Check out these mods for how that was done.

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21552
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57204

Good luck. I won't be available again until the 27th when I get back from my wedding in the Dominican Republic!!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikos24 wrote:
Give you $100 to make me one for the ps2, depending on how long it'll take.....

I'm going to say its worth a bit more then that He killed a few guitars to make that let alone the time.

Great work tho, why isnt this guy working for the makes of rockband?
nickaix  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, BriGuy, and congratutations, btw!
JediHero92  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod is seriously amazingly awesome.

Coolest thing ever.
kdb424  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome. I still love my Strat a lot, but that's pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: