FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BROOKLYN TOURNAMENT UHR WINS! pixs inside
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: BROOKLYN TOURNAMENT UHR WINS! pixs inside Reply with quote

Hey scoreheroes

On Saturday March 29th p34nut and i threw a rock band tournament,
the list of teams that entered were

Unethical horse rapist (UHR) members Gurnkiller. Cowshark, Raunch99 and Draktyr

Die! in a fire members NmitsTheFish, o5LudaChris2o, Inc1214, and sophrosyne

Kitten Patrol members Tigerhawk aka Edgehopper, TrinityVixen, Fairest, and ChrisBond007

Enter Devil Zone members cddjballistics1, Windshinobi, AgentStevenHUnt, and Peter

Thundercats members Shift, Crazed, and two of Draktyr's friends! haha (HELP WITH THEIR NAMES WHEN YA GET A CHANCE)

ChronicsaurusRex members ConFleEzZy, CluTcH, Sir MaTTy BeAsts, and Nolipatz

I Can't Shake'em Fox members JudgeofZar, Tee Rockaah, Sparkplug19, and frenzil04

NYC Tomahawk members HellsPride, Spartan NYC, xXVict0rXx, and Dioriosken

Cream Dream members poopbullet, Brian, John, and Paul

The Pointless Philharmonix members Polina, Reuben, PintSizeThrilla, and Brian

Mirage members Gaspar, Traden, and Po

I Don't Know Jesse and Mike

Beliee in L.I.B.! Ringomar, King of the sole, and the Bass Ace

Y unit Steve and Nate

The Bracket:

Last edited by nipps on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 pm; edited 24 times in total
Shift  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this, and I think I came up with a decent format. Rather than having like 10 bands play the same song in a row, we could have smaller 1v1 band competitions of the same song, and the winner of those would advance to the next round. The only pitfalls I can see are that single elimination seems a bit harsh, and that sometimes some teams would get a by, but I'm sure with some tweaking we could work things out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ParadigmShift89
Sophrosyne  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to participate. It sounds like a great idea. It'll definitely be way more fun / well constructed in comparison to the excuse for a tournament that happened tonight at Virgin. We all got shafted >_>

Nice meeting you btw

My Expert Vocals Vids / My Rocker Profile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sophrosyne
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a couple comments:

- I agree with Shift about having bands play the same song. It's just too weird and hard to really compare if you have bands play different songs (like at Virgin in NYC) and it'll get even weirder if you let people pick the songs. Then everyone will be playing Green Grass & High Tides on as high a difficulty as possible, and a couple other songs. Otherwise they won't be competitive. We saw earlier tonight how weird and lopsided a factor song length is.

- Drum pad mods seem cool since they're largely there to correct the bugs in the drums. The pedal however, I could see allowing for reinforcements, but totally different pedals? Those mods are both expensive and make the drums way easier to play. I mean, I might get one but I wouldn't expect everyone to have one. It's a significant advantage that you get by paying more cash than someone else. Whereas with the drum pad mods, some of the most effective ones just involve rubber bands and socks, or at the most some cheap gum rubber disks.

- One way to keep the tournament more interesting for the audience is to follow a suggestion made in one of the other threads and have different bands play their head-to-head song at different times in the schedule. Or, if you have a big enough room for two TVs, you can have two Xbox+TV+Rock Band setups, and start both simultaneously by restarting the same song in both games with the vocals controller. I did this for a tournament and it worked pretty well, but I wouldn't do it in a small space.

- As for picking songs, when I ran a tournament I did it like this: it was a bracketed tournament with three tiers, and each band got to make up to three song requests. The brackets were seeded based on any matches between different bands' lists, so that where possible, two bands would be playing against each other who both requested the same song. The rest of the bands had a different song pulled out of a hat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
TigerHawk310  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Shift and metasynthie--Nipps, take a look at my other post on this thread on doing a Rock Band tournament with only one game setup. Obviously it's even easier to do with multiple consoles. It doesn't have to be done as single elimination, of course; it can be made double elimination, and brackets don't have to be 1v1; they can be a World Cup-style "Best 2 out of 4 advance" bracket.
CraZy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, everyone is making sense. I know you're trying to come at it with a strategy perspective, which is cool, but not everyone will understand the strategy. you could have, if you want, kinda 1v1 bracket style, and each team picks three songs, then you put those 6 songs into a hat, and then pick like 3 of those, and each team plays the three songs, best combined score wins.
i like the strategy idea, but, like you can see, not many other people agree, and some others may not unserstand it from a strategy perspective, and like meta said, everyone will pick GG&HT and most likely win their round. but then they'd get beat in the next round by someone who saved GG&HT til the end.
i think to keep the tournament shorter, you could have the bands play only one or two songs, but that also depends on how many bands show up. if you think of it this way. say you have 10 bands, 1v1 x 5, if each band were to have to play GG&HT first round (just to show the maximum time span) that would be 100minutes approx hour and a half for the first round. (assuming you only have one console, which we won't) so, it all depends on how long you wanna run it.
about the mods. honestly, a custom bass pedal doesn't make much of an advantage over anyone who uses a RB pedal and has gotten used to it. they're the same thing, its just more of a realistic feel. bass pedals with beaters onto a prac pad should be allowed as long as the pedal is still activated by the RR under the pedal, rather than a peizo inside the prac pad.
keep this post alive, and keep us informed on how many bands we may have. just so we know how much space will be needed (ps. i'm helping coordinate). your band can be anywhere from 1-4 members, obviously the more people the higher the score, but that's at your own risk. any member can play on any difficulty, and if you have an extra friend who wants to play as an extra, let us know before hand and we can see if bands need an extra player.

tell everyone you know in the tri-state area. if they can get here, they can play.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: p34nUt 13188
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump for new idea of format. let me know what oyu think
TigerHawk310  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new format, though you may want to have the setlists shorter in earlier rounds and bigger in later rounds to save time. Other ideas could be theme rounds (e.g., setlists must contain one DLC song) and setlists where one song is forced by the tournament organizer. You need to decide if a team can change difficulty mid-setlist; I'd say no, but it's possible to allow it in your format.
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerHawk310 wrote:
I like the new format, though you may want to have the setlists shorter in earlier rounds and bigger in later rounds to save time. Other ideas could be theme rounds (e.g., setlists must contain one DLC song) and setlists where one song is forced by the tournament organizer. You need to decide if a team can change difficulty mid-setlist; I'd say no, but it's possible to allow it in your format.

i like the shorter setlist idea early rounds, becoming longer in the late rounds.
changing difficulty i dont mind., since it will affect their score, as long as they tell the other team of the lower difficulty switch so the other team can change too if they wanted(i dont want to see a band fail out becuase their singer cant sing say ummm... welcome home on hard.) i would like them to finish all songs and post a score.
theme rounds and organizer picks also sounds interesting and i will incorporate it into the rules.
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will not include DLC though because its not far to people who have a ps2 and cant practice that song before hand.
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump again for edit. let me know what you guys think.
CraZy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds cool. maybe have a theme round. like say it's alternative for instance, then let the two bands see the setlist for alt songs, and then they pick their songs based on those. make it as un-random as possible. lol. because there are songs under certain genres that no1 wants to play.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: p34nUt 13188
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraZy wrote:
sounds cool. maybe have a theme round. like say it's alternative for instance, then let the two bands see the setlist for alt songs, and then they pick their songs based on those. make it as un-random as possible. lol. because there are songs under certain genres that no1 wants to play.

random being a song they didnt pick and the offical likes!
metasynthie  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the "both teams put songs in a hat then an official pulls them out" method is that it could result in an advantage based solely on luck. Two evenly matched bands, what if one band just happens to have all their songs picked from a hat and the other band gets none? That's fine if you're OK having luck play a role, but obviously you don't want too much of that (like last night in new york).

If you want to remove most of the luck from it (there's already enough crazy luck with hardware failures and xbox guide buttons as it is, if you ask me) then you'd have a 3-song set. One band picks one, the other band picks one, the last is picked randomly or by a judge. Pretty much how a multi-song duel works in Guitar Hero 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Metasynthie
nipps  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metasynthie wrote:
The only problem with the "both teams put songs in a hat then an official pulls them out" method is that it could result in an advantage based solely on luck. Two evenly matched bands, what if one band just happens to have all their songs picked from a hat and the other band gets none? That's fine if you're OK having luck play a role, but obviously you don't want too much of that (like last night in new york).

If you want to remove most of the luck from it (there's already enough crazy luck with hardware failures and xbox guide buttons as it is, if you ask me) then you'd have a 3-song set. One band picks one, the other band picks one, the last is picked randomly or by a judge. Pretty much how a multi-song duel works in Guitar Hero 3.

i wanted to stay away from a typical GH style tournament. even thoguh that type of tournament is very easy to run. 3 songs, best 2 out of three wins. i could run it that style too.
thats why im keep this an open idea so we can make a tourny that everyone would agree to and would be fair for all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: