FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabies  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksonw wrote:
I went ahead and tried to make these myself. A 10 foot section of 1" PVC costs $15 at Home Depot (in Canada). A can of black spray paint was $4.

OUCH! at $15 dollars for a 10 foot section..yea..you were almost better off just paying for a set!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discgolferpro wrote:
marcin wrote:
Quote:
a coat krylon (or another black spray paint) is really the way to go IMO

Since there is talk of paint, I bought the black paint for plastics (said works for pvc on the side), it was not Krylon but similar idea. I sprayed mine down and left them to dry for about 30ish hours on their own before installing them.

They have been on the kit over a week now and still are sticky to the touch and I wouldn't believe they are not dry by now. Not that I touch them a lot, but any time I do there ends up being black flecks on my hands.

Is there a trick to this? Do you need to put a clear coat on after? Or a primer before and then use a regular paint instead?

It might be bad paint but it might also be formulated for a very special purpose (rubberized for flexing maybe?). Either way, I'm not sure what kind it is but most paints are dry to touch within 1 hour and fully cured in 24 hours.

A lot of people swear by Krylon but any good all-purpose spray paint should work. Krylon is famous for its Fusion blend which actually "sinks" into many plastics. It's expensive though. Grab a cheap Flat Black Outdoor Rustoleum paint and put 4 coats on the struts. Wait 15 minutes between coats and it will seal in that crappy paint and give you a durable finish. Make sure you coat the entire strut every time you put a coat on.

did you make sure to scuff up the tubes before painting?
jacksonw  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
OUCH! at $15 dollars for a 10 foot section..yea..you were almost better off just paying for a set!

Lol...yah. There wasn't a price on them and I figured it can't be more than $4 according to what people were getting them for on here. Must be the Canada/US exchange rate!

After walking all the way back to the checkout, carefully turning corners and such so I wouldn't knock anything or anyone over, it rang up as $14.99, so I just took it.

Oh yah, you have to scruff up the shiny coating on the PVC for the paint to adhere properly. Otherwise, it'll just "leak" off.
geezer  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update everyone... got my struts on Monday, only a couple of days after ordering direct from http://www.goodwoodmods.com/. They look and work great!
sgspecial  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy hell about the 15 dollars I picked up 5 feet of PVC, more than enough for two sets, for just under a dollar.

Just made these last night and... I need to make more lol messed up on one of them one is great. So now for a few precautions

Do not use a drill press in the original sense. If you press straight down you will just crack the 200PSI pvc to hell I launched a piece at my forehead and it hurt like shit.

If you can use one though it saves so much time I used a combonation of that and a dremel tool to get all the cuts right.

Now the main precuation realzie that the two supports MIRROR each other they are backwards I made mine the same and that is why I will be out in the shed again tonight. overall though even the shitty one I made works amazing. I bought high quality paint and even with that the whole thing cost me less than 6 dollars (paint was 4 something) great mod.

Finally the guy who is selling this online is good I have seen his stuff and it is good quality it is hard to make these perfect and it can take around an hour or two for your first ones.
FiftyQuid  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the goodwoodmods work with every drum kit? EL, QM, etc...
el1t3v1rus  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyQuid wrote:
Do the goodwoodmods work with every drum kit? EL, QM, etc...

Yes. They are merely structural support studs to prevent your green and red pads from snapping off. I'm glad I made mine when I did, because if I hadn't, my green pad would be in the trash because its already snapping off but the support stud is keeping it on. And to sgspecial: It doesn't take an hour or two for your first ones :P. All I had to use was a hack saw, a box cutter, and a ruler and marker, and it took me under a half hour to make both perfectly mirrored to one another .

Edit: Also FiftyQuid, it says directly in the title of this thread "Works for all models". Please read next time before you post.
[ ] 65 FC's
[ ] 70 FC's
[ ] 75 FC's
[ ] 78 FC's
[x] 1st Place
[9.37] 9.4 mil
RockBand Accomps.
My EL penny mod. Works beyond perfect!

Last edited by el1t3v1rus on 30 Oct 2008 19:55; edited 946,281 times in total
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el1t3v1rus wrote:
...I also made all the measurements myself because it seems that the template that is on a previous page is not the same size once its printed, or at least wasn't after I printed it. It came out to 6" long and about 2" wide if that, so I had to measure it all myself.

I haven't actually completed this mod yet myself, but what I did was take the template and print it out, and then use the photocopier at work to enlarge the image to size 9 3/4 inches (157%)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el1t3v1rus wrote:
Edit: Also FiftyQuid, it says directly in the title of this thread "Works for all models". Please read next time before you post.

My apologies. I read all the posts and didn't read the title on any of them. Many thanks for pointing that out!
el1t3v1rus  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyQuid wrote:
el1t3v1rus wrote:

My apologies. I read all the posts and didn't read the title on any of them. Many thanks for pointing that out!

No problem man. And to BriGuy, I never thought of doing that, but mine still came out completely wonderful and gets the job done with the way I measured them. Although it would have been easier to not have to use a ruler to measure cylinders, but its all good .
[ ] 65 FC's
[ ] 70 FC's
[ ] 75 FC's
[ ] 78 FC's
[x] 1st Place
[9.37] 9.4 mil
RockBand Accomps.
My EL penny mod. Works beyond perfect!

Last edited by el1t3v1rus on 30 Oct 2008 19:55; edited 946,281 times in total
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed this mod last night and it works great! Perhaps it was a coincidence, but I finally earned my flawless drumming achievement.

A couple of notes though. Like I said earlier, I printed out the template from page 3 and enlarged it using a photocopier to 9 3/4 inches. An extra millimeter or two wouldn't hurt to give some breathing room to finely craft the edges (I used a dremmel)
And even though spray painting might look better, I would recommend the black electrical tape wrapping for a few reasons. It adds a bit of cushioning to all of the contact points and the pole end can be taped securely so it doesn't fall or get knocked out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not really seen any inkling that it will fall out I played drums for 4 hours on hard and not a whisper from them about falling. Oh and the reason why it took so long is because I was trying to "perfect" them with fancy tools instead of just doing it.

BriGuy: Dremel FTW worked wonders for me on the cuts the only tool that did not fuck up first try lol
nOuSEfORanAME  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
el1t3v1rus wrote:
...I also made all the measurements myself because it seems that the template that is on a previous page is not the same size once its printed, or at least wasn't after I printed it. It came out to 6" long and about 2" wide if that, so I had to measure it all myself.

I haven't actually completed this mod yet myself, but what I did was take the template and print it out, and then use the photocopier at work to enlarge the image to size 9 3/4 inches (157%)

I found that the best way to print the picture was in photoshop, I did not need to enlarge it. It's 9 3/4 inches in photoshop.
xBaDxHackeRx  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh.. I have a Wii QM set and it seems that the crescent and the other part (the one that touches the underside of the red/green drum) can't be completely the same angle.. one must be angled from the other side.
jharrell3623  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god , you guys are using drills with hole saws to cut the radius? No wonder you guys are getting cut up. Use a coping saw , its like a hand held scroll saw. Its much much safer. If you have a scroll saw though , use that instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: