FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all models
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinPusher  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all models Reply with quote

First, let me say that this is not a "mod" in the traditional sense. You are not changing anything about your drums. This isn't permanent and doesn't even void the warranty.

Ok, so I am sick of the vibration, wobbling, and innaccuracy caused by the flimsy design of the red and green pad connection to the main drum body. And so is fellow scorehero forum member MetallicaIsntGoo. He wanted to know if it was possible to add support to increase the structural integrity of those pads. Fellow member NoSkill is selling these supports for $19.99 plus $4.99 Shipping on ebay. You can find them HERE .
If you don't want to drop $25 bucks on these you can make them your self with a few minutes of time and less than $2. ($1.89 bought enough material to make 5 or 6 sets. . . what the heck am I going to do with all this leftover PVC?)

Anyway, here you go and I hope you enjoy.

Materials

PVC
Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or wherever and tell someone there that you need 1 inch inside diameter 200PSI PVC. A 10 foot section shouldn't cost more than $2.00 (mine was $1.89).

Something to cut the pvc with
I used tools I already own: a back saw, a miter box, and a dremmel but even a steak knife will cut this stuff just please be careful. (Obligatory liability disclaimer: I am not responsible if you cut or cut off any part of yourself, your spouse, sibling, offspring, neighbor, pet hedgehog, etc.)

Electrical Tape (optional)
I couldn't find black PVC in the right size so I just used the electrical tape to cover the finished product.

Ruler
Do I really need to explain what this is for?

Procedure

Step 1:
Using whatever cutting method you have decided upon cut two lengths of PVC each 9 3/4 inches long.

Step 2:
Using your ruler measure and mark a line 1/2in down from one end of each piece. Draw this line all the way around both pieces.

Step 3:
Refer to the picture below and cut two crescents on each piece. The crescents must be directly opposite each other. These will allow the finished product to rest against the vertical support pole of the drum.

Step 4: (Read carefully and make sure you understand completely before completing this step. See all of the pictures below for more clarity)
On the opposite end from the crescents of each piece measure up 3/8in. and mark on either side of the opening.
From this spot measure 2in. up the piece and mark the spot. Note that this mark must be centered in relation to the crescent on the other end.
Draw a straight line from your 3/8in. mark to your 2in. mark. Cut away this angled area and repeat this step on the other piece. This will be the part that rests on the underside of the drum head.

Step 5:
Test fit your pieces, wrap with electrical tape, paint, whatever, and enjoy your new more structurally sound drums.

Here is what one of the finished components looks like (You will have two of these).

Here is a picture of the support in place on the drum

Here is a video that that NoSkill created and put on you tube, this video demonstrates the installation procedure as well as the stability. Though please note that the video doesn't do justice to how well these really work. They really are amazing so kudos to him for creating them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta24YmWFWkE[url][/url]

Last edited by TinPusher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
kdb424  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an insanly good idea. I have all of the tools that I need. When i get my drums, I'm doin this, a new pedal, and gum rubber pads, YEA!!
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a mod like this and this is perfect. I'm definetely gonna do this one! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question about step 4: The directions seem to suggest measuring 2 inches along the edge of the pipe, while the picture seems to suggest a 2-inch slanted measurement from the previous mark to the opposite edge - could I get some clarity on this?
Xcalibur  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komatoze wrote:
Quick question about step 4: The directions seem to suggest measuring 2 inches along the edge of the pipe, while the picture seems to suggest a 2-inch slanted measurement from the previous mark to the opposite edge - could I get some clarity on this?
Well geez, thanks a lot - I'd already made up an image to ask this question and everything! But you had to beat me to it!

Well I need to know the answer too - I have the feeling there's definitely going to be some blood loss when I try this, so I want to make sure I get the measurements right at least...
karmajack  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the cutting tools to make these. I'm one of the suckers that bought them from eBay. Though I think it's worth it anyway.

This next pic shows how it has felt attatched to the ends. I suppose it's to prevent it from leaving skratches on the kit.

kdb424  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xcalibur wrote:
Komatoze wrote:
Well geez, thanks a lot - I'd already made up an image to ask this question and everything! But you had to beat me to it!

Well I need to know the answer too - I have the feeling there's definitely going to be some blood loss when I try this, so I want to make sure I get the measurements right at least...

It desn't matter. Just place the ruller where ypou need it, and the angle will be right when you get from the end to the top of those two inches. Just put the ruller at the angle, wherever the end, and the 2" mark is.
Sandro58  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how well does this fix work? im assuming it helps with the rebound on the red and green pads, but does it help with the excess vibration on the QM's, which result in the dropped notes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TheYellowCedar
karmajack  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes the pads much sturdier. Less vibration and less double hits. Mostly it prevents this...

Last edited by karmajack on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Xcalibur  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdb424 wrote:
It desn't matter. Just place the ruller where ypou need it, and the angle will be right when you get from the end to the top of those two inches. Just put the ruller at the angle, wherever the end, and the 2" mark is.

So basically (using the power of Pythagoras), the diagonal is 2", and the distance down the length (the "2" ?") is about 1.9" from the end

In case you don't feel like trying to mark 3/8" and then rotating your ruler (which I would think would be difficult on something round, but I dunno)
NoSkill  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all mo Reply with quote

TinPusher wrote:

Here is a video that the ebay guy created and put on you tube, this video demonstrates the installation procedure as well as the stability. Though please note that the video doesn't do justice to how well these really work. They really are amazing so kudos to him for creating them. But SHAME ON HIM for being a greedy bastard and charging so much for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta24YmWFWkE

Yes, shame on him/me for living in a capitalist society and not communist China.

This country was founded on.....OK I'm not going there. Look, when I created these I saw both the opportunity to make a little money and help out my fellow rockers who have neither the means nor the desire to build these themselves. And I assure you, my partner and I feel no "shame" in doing this. And believe it or not I have no problem with people building their own. Heck I predicted this would happen before the first one was sold. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

People who obviously have no idea how products are mass produced get too hung up on basic materials cost. They forget to look at set up costs for mass production, jigging, labor, and the VALUE of the product. Is gold worth $1000 per oz? It's just a rock.

The product works...plain and simple. Take whichever route works for you, build your own or buy ours, but don't shake your finger at me for trying to make a buck. Shake your finger at EA for producing and inferior product.

Rock On
Rich Sabot
GoodWood Mods

BTW we've got more goodies in the works.
TinPusher  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all mo Reply with quote

original post edited. . .

Last edited by TinPusher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdb424  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww, everybody shut up. Every good invention has a price. If you don't like the price, do it yourself. That's your choice. He's not forcing anyone to buy them. I love the idea, and plan to build them for some people, but I won't sell them. i suggest patenting these and making a web site, and selling them for $10-$15 + shipping. Just my thoughts. Thanks for all of your help.
NoSkill  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all mo Reply with quote

TinPusher wrote:
NoSkill wrote:

Yes, shame on him/me for living in a capitalist society and not communist China.

This country was founded on.....OK I'm not going there. Look, when I created these I saw both the opportunity to make a little money and help out my fellow rockers who have neither the means nor the desire to build these themselves. And I assure you, my partner and I feel no "shame" in doing this. And believe it or not I have no problem with people building their own. Heck I predicted this would happen before the first one was sold. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

People who obviously have no idea how products are mass produced get too hung up on basic materials cost. They forget to look at set up costs for mass production, jigging, labor, and the VALUE of the product. Is gold worth $1000 per oz? It's just a rock.

The product works...plain and simple. Take whichever route works for you, build your own or buy ours, but don't shake your finger at me for trying to make a buck. Shake your finger at EA for producing and inferior product.

Rock On
Rich Sabot
GoodWood Mods

BTW we've got more goodies in the works.

Listen mate, the value of your creation is noted in my original post. I love these and I think you had a great idea. Further, if your desire was to "help fellow rockers," as you claim, you would have first posted instructions for making these and then saying something like, "if you don't want to make these yourself, I am selling them on ebay . . . " So your claims of altruistic intent are not grounded in reality. And as for your claims of only making a "little" money on these . . . I built these for $1.89! Don't shake your finger at me claiming I haven't considered production costs. I understand the value of labor etc. That being said there is no justification for such an inflated price above cost not to mention the profit you are making on shipping. Besides if you were "mass producing" these as you claim, you wouldn't be selling them on ebay. You would have a real internet, and physical retail, presence. Try to justify your actions in whatever way helps you sleep at night but the fact of the matter is that you are trying to exploit people. Period. And believe me I will do everything I can to inform people of this.

There is no profit in shipping. Ask anyone who used eBay or feel free to read the FAQ, it is the calculated cost directly from USPS. We pay USPS exactly the amount the buyer pays. We aren't those people who sell the item for $1 and charge $20 for shipping.

Good luck on your crusade against my billion dollar company. I'm gonna go light up a Cuban with a c-note and take a swim in my money bin.

Oh yeah...your angles are wrong. You shouldn't have a 90 degree angle at the nose. The way the pads are tilted creates a compound angle. Also, although I really like the look of the wound electrical tape, I'd suggest a couple of coats of Krylon.

I'm done...you guys decide.
TinPusher  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

original post edited. . .

Last edited by TinPusher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: