FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geezer  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoSkill wrote:
Our website is up and running and we are now selling these at the reduced rate of $16.95. Check it out!

www.goodwoodmods.com

While I'm a DIY kind of guy and do a lot of stuff like this, my time is precious... I also don't like cutting PVC - reminds me of all the sprinkler line repairs I've had to do because my shovel keeps hitting the lines...

I went ahead and ordered direct from the website (1st customer there! . Should get them early next week. Will post a followup here...

-geezer2112
gitarzann  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a seller on ebay that is offering real wood struts for 16.99.

I ordered a set from them. I have nothing to do with them; I'm just a customer.
NoSkill  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitarzann wrote:
There's also a seller on ebay that is offering real wood struts for 16.99.

I ordered a set from them. I have nothing to do with them; I'm just a customer.

Have you received them yet? I'm curious to see what people think of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't received them yet but I will post here when I do.
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set through ebay myself... the real wood ones or whatever they're called. I'm hoping they'll fix my "99% of the time working" red and green pads to make them "100% of the time working" red and green pads. They've already shipped - I'll let ya'll know what happens once I get them.

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
nipps  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurnKiller wrote:
I just ordered a set through ebay myself... the real wood ones or whatever they're called. I'm hoping they'll fix my "99% of the time working" red and green pads to make them "100% of the time working" red and green pads. They've already shipped - I'll let ya'll know what happens once I get them.

me and pnut made a pair. you should have told us ya wanted one!
el1t3v1rus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I had asked TinPusher I think to do my drum struts, but I went ahead and did them myself. I had did one before reading the entire thread and after finishing that one I realized that it was wobbly and not snug, so I read the rest and figured out the the 2" angled cut isn't supposed to be centered with the crescent. Well my main story is the fact that I made mine in just a half hour on each one using only a hacksaw and a box-cutter. And for getting them done that quick with the tools that I had at hand, I think I did pretty well. I also made all the measurements myself because it seems that the template that is on a previous page is not the same size once its printed, or at least wasn't after I printed it. It came out to 6" long and about 2" wide if that, so I had to measure it all myself. Well heres pics so tell me how you guys think I did.

Both Struts

Left Strut in place

Right Strut in place

So yeah. And also they fit completely snugly under the drum head and everything, so that's a BIG plus :].

Edit: 1. Sorry for the big pics. 2. If you notice the rubberbands, it's because the pvc I had on it, I had connecting from underneath each drum head to the floor held in place by a screw in the floor, lifted up the front of the drums every time I hit the bass pedal, so I put rubberbands on the stickholders and put two cup hooks into the floor so it held it down :].
[ ] 65 FC's
[ ] 70 FC's
[ ] 75 FC's
[ ] 78 FC's
[x] 1st Place
[9.37] 9.4 mil
RockBand Accomps.
My EL penny mod. Works beyond perfect!

Last edited by el1t3v1rus on 30 Oct 2008 19:55; edited 946,281 times in total
rabies  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of people here going with the wrapped electrical tape look....it is not bad..but if you can afford it, or have it laying around...a coat krylon (or another black spray paint) is really the way to go IMO. That is what I did..and if you didn't know better, you would think it was an actual part of the drums.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
I see a lot of people here going with the wrapped electrical tape look....it is not bad..but if you can afford it, or have it laying around...a coat krylon (or another black spray paint) is really the way to go IMO. That is what I did..and if you didn't know better, you would think it was an actual part of the drums.

Well after I have a little bit of money for it I plan on buying some, because the electrical tape does look kinda crappy but at the same time it still works just as well. But yeah around how much is black spray paint or krylon or whatever? I've never done any painting of any sort so I wouldn't even know where to find it, lol.
[ ] 65 FC's
[ ] 70 FC's
[ ] 75 FC's
[ ] 78 FC's
[x] 1st Place
[9.37] 9.4 mil
RockBand Accomps.
My EL penny mod. Works beyond perfect!

Last edited by el1t3v1rus on 30 Oct 2008 19:55; edited 946,281 times in total
marcin  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a coat krylon (or another black spray paint) is really the way to go IMO

Since there is talk of paint, I bought the black paint for plastics (said works for pvc on the side), it was not Krylon but similar idea. I sprayed mine down and left them to dry for about 30ish hours on their own before installing them.

They have been on the kit over a week now and still are sticky to the touch and I wouldn't believe they are not dry by now. Not that I touch them a lot, but any time I do there ends up being black flecks on my hands.

Is there a trick to this? Do you need to put a clear coat on after? Or a primer before and then use a regular paint instead?
gitarzann  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the wood struts today and they are great.

Solid wood, painted black, marked at the tips L and R so you know which side to put them on. They snapped right into place and look like they're part of the kit. The difference in the stability of the red and green pads is just amazing.
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcin wrote:
Quote:
a coat krylon (or another black spray paint) is really the way to go IMO

Since there is talk of paint, I bought the black paint for plastics (said works for pvc on the side), it was not Krylon but similar idea. I sprayed mine down and left them to dry for about 30ish hours on their own before installing them.

They have been on the kit over a week now and still are sticky to the touch and I wouldn't believe they are not dry by now. Not that I touch them a lot, but any time I do there ends up being black flecks on my hands.

Is there a trick to this? Do you need to put a clear coat on after? Or a primer before and then use a regular paint instead?

It might be bad paint but it might also be formulated for a very special purpose (rubberized for flexing maybe?). Either way, I'm not sure what kind it is but most paints are dry to touch within 1 hour and fully cured in 24 hours.

A lot of people swear by Krylon but any good all-purpose spray paint should work. Krylon is famous for its Fusion blend which actually "sinks" into many plastics. It's expensive though. Grab a cheap Flat Black Outdoor Rustoleum paint and put 4 coats on the struts. Wait 15 minutes between coats and it will seal in that crappy paint and give you a durable finish. Make sure you coat the entire strut every time you put a coat on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
rabies  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...I ended up using a can of rustoleum flat black that I had laying around...not sure how much it cost..but I would be surprised if it cost more than 5 bucks. You can go to any home improvement store (lowes, home depot, etc) and buy this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like something that shouldve came with the rock band drum set
I say harmonix should start shipping these with there drumsets
i could use one!
good work!
(12:33)<bLiNdz0r> xsiick is good

You can find me opping most channels on www.socialgamer.com
or on some Guitar Hero/Rock Band streams on www.ustream.tv
I'm there 24/7!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xsiick
jacksonw  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and tried to make these myself. A 10 foot section of 1" PVC costs $15 at Home Depot (in Canada). A can of black spray paint was $4.

I was optimistic and was going to make 6 pairs. 3 for my drums and 3 to give away. I cut 6 pairs and I'm off.

After slipping with the hole saw and cutting myself multiple times, cleaning up all the shreds of PVC from dremelling and sawing, I think I should have just bought them

After making my first set perfectly, I ended up with only 3 pairs because of various mistakes. Mainly, trying to offset the side that goes under the drum pad. It's not really straight across from the section that goes onto the stand. Other times I dremelled a bit too much off and they wouldn't stay clipped to the drums.

Anyway, drums work nicely and the pieces actually look like part of the drums. Thanks for the tutorial!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: