FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Sructural Support "Mod". Works for all models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamStone  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More props to Goodwood Mods for coming up with a cool idea that no one else had thought of. And why the hell shouldn't he offer a product for sale? 20 bucks seems reasonable to me. If I were going to make these, it would require a trip to the hardware store, five bucks for the PVC, an hour of my time to fabricate them, plus clean up the mess from the cutting. Personally, I'd rather just pay the 20 bucks, since my time is worth considerably more than that.

And for people who don't have power tools or any tools at all, this is the only way to go.

Frankly, Tinpusher, I thought your OP was incredibly rude. If you had said something like, "Hey, these Goodwood guys came up with a really cool idea! They're selling it for 20 bucks, but if you don't have the money, I figured out a similar system and am offering the instructions for free," I would have been more impressed. But to rag on some guys who came up with a good idea, then to reverse-engineer it and offer it for free while essentially calling the guys who created it scum, is really, really tacky.

We should be encouraging a big aftermarket for Rock Band. I hope more entrepreneurs come out with pedal mods, drum mods, cymbal mods, etc. I hope they're available for sale, AND that people offer plans for free. They're not incompatible. Some people like to build things, and others don't.

This is common in the electronics community, btw. For decades the magazines and web sites have had plans for cool circuits, and invariably someone offers a kit with a pre-made PC board and the components gathered together in one place, and sold for a modest profit. What the hell is wrong with that?
Burritoclock  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

Last edited by Burritoclock on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Beez808  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean his company isn't worth a billion dollars?

Drummer and Path-Man for Drunk n Hammock (RB2 scores)
TinPusher  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes, this has gone far enough. All of this started out as a silly joke and has devolved into something terrible. Original post has been edited and, though "props" had already been given, they are more prominent.
Let's brush aside hurt feelings and egos, shake hands, and move on with our lives.
NoSkill  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinPusher wrote:
Dudes, this has gone far enough. All of this started out as a silly joke and has devolved into something terrible. Original post has been edited and, though "props" had already been given, they are more prominent.
Let's brush aside hurt feelings and egos, shake hands, and move on with our lives.

Agreed. No harm done.
karmalord  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: support mod Reply with quote

Used this mod! was easy to make,cheap,and looks killer on my already super modded kit!
luminousnerd  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mod, this is very, VERY effective.

One thing I noticed when making mine is that it doesn't work if it's perfectly aligned. In other words, it's actually better if your 2inch cut is slightly misaligned to the left of your crescent cuts.
When is Didgeridoo Hero coming out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: luminerd
rabies  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a couple hours and made a pair of these myself.

I'll share some tips with those of you aspiring to make a set of your own...and make them nice.

1. Make SURE you get a 1" INSIDE diameter PVC pipe. Don't just walk in and get a 1" PVC pipe...or you will get the wrong thing. The actual diameter of the outside of the correct pipe you need is 1 5/16 inches...and the inside diameter is about 1". This is the exact same diameter of the drum stand where this thing braces itself.

2. If you have a drill press...that would be the #1 way to go to make the circle cut in one end...that would make life easier. You would need a 1 1/4" bit, or 1 5/16" drill bit to cut down into the pipe to make a perfect cut.

3. If you don't have a drill press (like me) and have to cut that circle by hand...use a empty toilet paper roll as a template. Cut of of these in half length-wise, wrap it tight around a piece of your pvc, tape it back together. Remove it from the pipe...flatten it. Measure 1/2" from on end and mark...then draw out a curve coming from the edges to 1/2" in...cut out that curve with scissors. Put it back on the pipe...then you can use a pencil to draw the line for the curve cut. Use a dremmel or coping saw to cut to that line.

4. Once you cut the line..it won't fit perfect. Take a piece of rough sandpaper (at least 60grit), wrap it around a extra piece of PVC, then butt your newly cut pvc against it and start sanding it down. When the two pieces join together perfectly at a 90 degree angle, you know you have it exactly rigtht. The finished product should fit like a glove against the other pipe...which will then fit like a glove against the drumset.

luminousnerd is right...the 2" cut on the other side is not perfectly aligned. The drums are at an angle..so that 2'in cut is slightly (maybe 15degrees) misaligned from the cresecent cuts. Easiest way to get the exact angle is to check before you make the cut on the second side. Once you have the crecent cut side done, you can place that on the drum and it will fit (as long as you already cut it down to 9 3/4 inces in length). I guess if you don't care about asthetics, you can probably not bother cutting the drum head side down. But if you pop it on, you can then use a pencil to mark the acutal angle of the drums and how you need to cut. This is a bit hard to describe without pictures.

anyway..hope this helps. I would also 2nd the krylon paint method if you can afford it. Looks better.

One other thing..for the 2 bucks you spend on the PVC..you should easily be able to make 5 pairs should you be so inclined...since most PVC comes in 10 foot lenghts.. Should you you feel so inclined, spend the extra effort to make 5 full sets and sell the extra 4 to your friends to make a nifty little profit!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this mod today and I'm pretty happy with the results.

The measurements aren't completely accurate, but they're close enough to give you an idea of what you need to do. Since I don't have a lot of tools at my disposal, I made a support with the basic design and tried to pop it into the drums. If it didnt fit easily, I snipped a little off the tapered end with some heavy-duty scissors. Once it was able to pop in and out, I snipped a little off of one side, so that it would fit into the groove better. It really is hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean when you do it. =)

It took me about 45 mins to get two supports made, and about 10 minutes to adjust each of them to fit. I used electrical tape, as I don't really have a good place to paint anything where I live. If you get the tape on right, it looks pretty sharp on the drumset.

Another note: Make sure that it has the PSI of the pipe printed on the side of the pipe. I made the mistake of taking a pipe off of a stack that said 200 psi, and mine turned out to be 450 psi. I had to go back and buy another pipe and wasted TWO WHOLE DOLLARS! Dont' do what I did or you too will suffer!

Thanks to TinPusher for the measurements and NoSkill for the design. =)
Evster  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome! Need moar eBay auctions. I'm too lazy and not handy enough to do this myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear everyone is happy with this mod.

I have created more eBay auctions and now that we have over 10 positive feeback we finally can offer a Buy It Now option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120240857701&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002
respectjsb  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm going to confess my noobness - I just totally butchered a piece of PVC on my first attempt at this mod.

can someone better explain how you go about measuring and making the 3/8" and 2" cuts? are those straight measurements or are they made on the circumference?

(i'm no craftsman but think i'm handy enough that i should be able to do this....)

Ken
alexonfire  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the mod. i'll try it as soon as i can. very good idea to the person who thought of this.

Xcalibur wrote:
Komatoze wrote:
Quick question about step 4: The directions seem to suggest measuring 2 inches along the edge of the pipe, while the picture seems to suggest a 2-inch slanted measurement from the previous mark to the opposite edge - could I get some clarity on this?
Well geez, thanks a lot - I'd already made up an image to ask this question and everything! But you had to beat me to it!

Well I need to know the answer too - I have the feeling there's definitely going to be some blood loss when I try this, so I want to make sure I get the measurements right at least...

the short flat side (3/8" side should actually be cut back at a 90 degree angle from the long 2" angle side.) this will make it fit in snug. otherwise, there will only be one point of contact, as opposed to the whole flat surface of the long and short angles.

lintball  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea. For a problem I didn't even realize I had.

Wonderful job detailing the instructions. I'm doing this mod this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: