FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voxtar Technique, with *VIDEO GUIDES* by sentimentalgeek!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackerRiley  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guide. I will definitely use this in the future when I decide to try this. I think I will just compete on Hard/Easy. Maybe H/M if I get good at it.
i5hawn  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find the easiest thing to do is simply memorize the song. at that point you don't need to worry about screenreading the vocals and you can simply play as your normally would. a lot of these songs i've listened to dozens of times over and quite frankly i know them like the back of my head.
dore  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For vocal percussion, make sure you use a one-syllable word with all the emphasis on the impact, and no concluding consonant. Stuff "tap" or "pop" doesn't work well because you are making multiple consonant shapes with your mouth.

I use a short "TUH" sound or "DUH" sound, because it's short and tends to register well, plus I'm used to calling audibles for my marching band at competition which uses that same sound. Be loud but be clear.
bleakwoode  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have some Stevie Ray in it for this reason only.

With that aside, nice guide!
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guide! I've got a couple of suggestions:
You suggest singing in whatever register is comfortable/normal, you should append "Intonation is easier to control in your normal level". Also, a general singing tip that I haven't seen on SH, Raise your eyebrows if the note is a stretch to reach. It's half psychological, but it does actually raise your pitch. This is also helpful on brass instruments, in case anyone wanted to know.

Regarding Auxiliary percussion:
I haven't tried this, so I don't know how well it works, but it sounds like you could simply subdivide every beat and get every note? As long as you're going down to the smallest division. If that's true, the best way would be to do what brass players do, double- or triple-tongue. Normally, when tonguing a note, a brass player uses a "tah" or "doh" syllable, or something similar, depending on style, instruction, etc. The tongue can only move so fast, though, so there's multiple tonguing, like up/down strumming. Then the player uses two contacts in the mouth, one high, one low, so "takka takka" or "dugga dugga". If you we really getting crazy, you could try triple tonguing, so, "tukkida" or "duggida"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i5hawn wrote:
i find the easiest thing to do is simply memorize the song.

you're right, this is definitely the best way of doing it. in fact, the guide could conceivably read simply "Just memorize everything, ftw." that said, it's my hope that this guide is helpful, as opposed to just a lot of useless fluff dancing around the fact that memorizing everything is ultimately the way to go.

dore wrote:
Stuff "tap" or "pop" doesn't work well because you are making multiple consonant shapes with your mouth.

interesting. i've never tried this; you're saying the game literally doesn't pick up the multiple consonant shapes as reliably as a "tuh" or "duh"? if that's what you're saying, care to speculate on why this is?

Smeddy24 wrote:
Also, a general singing tip that I haven't seen on SH, Raise your eyebrows if the note is a stretch to reach.

this was actually one of the tips in pmswedge's vocals guide (linked above).

Smeddy24 wrote:
it sounds like you could simply subdivide every beat and get every note? As long as you're going down to the smallest division.

i think that what you're saying is what i was trying to say here:
socialskills wrote:
pick the shortest-intervaled hits and then just “Puh” in a constant rhythm at that rate. For a lot of songs, 8th notes will work, but there are some 16th (and possibly 32nd?) notes in the main setlist as well.

although it sounds like you worded it better than i did. re-reading it, my version makes no sense. also, the "vocal percussion from a brass player's perspective" tips you gave are very cool, but they may not work if what dore said above is true. i'll keep an eye on that. thanks for all the info!

again, thanks to everyone for compliments, feedback, additional tips! keep 'em coming. i hope to have the first update up before the weekend.
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
dore  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that the extra syllable is registered, it's that it takes longer for the initial impact to die away enough for the mic to register your next note.

In better terms I guess: When you use a word with an ending consonant the mic can still be registering that hit while you try to get the next one. (If your mic sensitivity is low then it shouldn't matter.)
Siberian  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't care about the score you can skip vocal percussion completely.

You don't lose your multiplier for skipping it nor do you lose any of the crowd's favor.

So if your playing guitar and really don't want to 'puh' into the mic all day you can just sit back and skip those parts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dore wrote:
It's not that the extra syllable is registered, it's that it takes longer for the initial impact to die away enough for the mic to register your next note.

In better terms I guess: When you use a word with an ending consonant the mic can still be registering that hit while you try to get the next one. (If your mic sensitivity is low then it shouldn't matter.)

I think that should be nullified by the break in the consonants. Instead of pop, where you have trouble recovering from from the second "p", and you get an "accidental overstrum", each syllable with multiple tongues is a single consonant. If I did a double consonant on tuba it would sound like shit, and my director tell me not to pop notes, so I think you should be able to get away with takka or dugga. The G might not be hard enough, so I would use takka.

I wish could test these, but I'm not equipped at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siberian wrote:
If you don't care about the score you can skip vocal percussion completely.

i took this as a given initially, but re-reading the post it's useful to point this out specifically. thanks!

Voxtar guide.
milertime927  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of encouragement for those planning on doing the ESL: make sure you can pass all the songs on vox (assuming you are more comfortable on guitar). I had never attempted Suffragette City, hence wasting 3 hours of my life and losing me 300k or so fans.
socialskills  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first update!

- fixed some aesthetic, logistic, and grammatical issues
- added some suggestions (would like to add Smeddy's tonguing information [eww!] but i think we need some more healthy discussion and somebody to try it out... i would, but the 3,255 BWT stars thing burned me out of RB for a bit)
- rewrote and added just the very first part of the intermediate section

hey milertime... am i reading this correctly? one of your goals is "fucking David Bowie"?

Voxtar guide.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i5hawn wrote:
i find the easiest thing to do is simply memorize the song. at that point you don't need to worry about screenreading the vocals and you can simply play as your normally would. a lot of these songs i've listened to dozens of times over and quite frankly i know them like the back of my head.

Yeah, this is pretty much the tactic I've taken to doing on guitar+vocals efforts, too. If the guitar chart is very mellow, I'll sneak a peek up at the vocals to make sure I'm not singing everything especially flat or something... but for the most part, it's just "play the guitar like normal, while emitting singing-like substance".

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
i5hawn  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to add watch live performances of the songs if you can, listen to the songs...a lot, also the more you get into vocally the better off you'll probably be.

my enter sandman is wicked
BobaFrets  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually sing part of "I Think I'm Paranoid" like Hetfield, and ironically it makes it easier for me to stay on pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: