FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Select Button vs. Tilting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalFox117  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Select Button vs. Tilting Reply with quote

Now, I am an avid anti-select guy. To me, select seems like it's an easy way out, almost like cheating. Guitar Hero (what inspired Rock Band) was inspired by the ridiculousness of Rock n' Roll, which is what made the tilt function so awesome.

But, I do know it's a *lot* easier to get higher scores and being able to deply your Star Power/Overdrive *exactly* where you want it by using the select button, as opposed to the delay of the tilting, or the occation where it doesn't work at all.

Buuut~ I wanted to see what you guys thought on the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Metal Fox 17
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some peoples' tilt sensors are faulty or just straight up broken.

I personally prefer to use Select when I can, but if I'm all caught up in a hard part I do tilt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as the tilt not working, sure, I can understand that. (Although, never happened to me and I've played a bagillion different controllers)

But, still, though. I mean more the people who consistently use select, every single time. It seems like they're cheating the game out of it's fun-ness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Metal Fox 17
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people, me included in some senses, see getting high or 1st place scores as the funnest part of the game, and get a lot of pleasure out of it. So tilting would take that fun out for them, and just add frustration.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, true, and I would agree, as I like being high up on the scoreboards, too.

But the game is just soo much more fun to play and be ridiculous with everything. The solo buttons made me so happy, and I've always tilted the guitar for star power.

I'm really just wondering (or hoping?) that I'm not the only one.
kci2  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to never use the select button, but now that I am trying to FC the easier expert songs in GH3, i find some squeezes 'require' the use of the select button, due to lag with the tilt function (Even pre-tilts lag too much).

Otherwise I tilt all the time, which causes problems from time to time, but isn't that bad.
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tilt. Always have.

Since I just got RockBand, all of my experience is from playing GuitarHero games. I use the Starpower paths to boost my score but I never got into exact activations or squeezing so I prefer to stick with tilting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tilted, but now that I've realised that it's pretty easy to hit select on the Strat while playing, I've started practicing with that.

As for the LP, I can't hit select worth a damn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tilt in Guitar Hero
in Rock Band i select because the tilt sensor is so unresponsive
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tilt as long as the sensor is ok
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
trevbo5254  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always use select unless I'm using the xplorer of course.

Even then I wish it had a select button because with the xplorer I have atm I have to tilt it completely vertical sometimes to get it to activate.

GT:Trevbo Pwnz
Trevbo Pwnz>trevbo5254
Adohu  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I used the tilt instead of select, mainly because I wasn't good at hitting the select button, but then the sensor broke. Since then, I've been using the select button.
For Rock Band, I hated the placement for the select button so I tilted. It got out of hand when it hardly ever worked, though, so I started using the select button with my pinky finger.
I don't think this takes the fun out of the game, I think it adds more enjoyment because I used to get frustrated as all hell when the tilt didn't work.
Unfortunately, for the X-Plorer (whenever I have to use it) I have to tilt because the select button is smaller than my fingernail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first guitar I started playing on (on GH2 for PS2) was a cheap 3rd party guitar, so the tilt sensor didn't work well at all. I was forced to use select, so I carried that habit over to Rock Band.

I was shocked when I got my X-Plorer and found that I couldn't use the select button. I tried to switch back to tilting, but either the sensor is broken or I just suck at it. Generally, simply tilting it doesn't work. I have to stand up, swinging the guitar as hard as I can while doing so. Then, I have to hold it vertically, with the fret buttons level with my head, and start shaking the guitar. Eventually it decides to activate.

Needless to say, this generally causes me to lose my multiplier. Or fail. And I look damn stupid doing it, too. So I just taped shit to my select button so that I can use it.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lloyd1337 PSN Name: Lloyd1337
MetalFox117  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, okay. I'm not the only tilt-only user. =P

For me, I just don't really care about score all that much. Even though I'm good, I know I'm never going to be the best, so there's no need worrying about exact Star Power placement. Also, tilting is fun, and with the exception of the Explorer controller, it's never really failed. (For me, anyway)
ac196nataku  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tilt. Very fluid motion, it doesn't affect my playing at all. What I don't understand is why my roommates act like they momentarily contracted cerebral palsy when they try to activate star power. I swear, they are going to break the controller's sensor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ac196nataku
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: