FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How NOT to run an event...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeAtRockgamer wrote:
Vert, it wasn't a personal attack on you, and I think you took it that way, since you felt the need to defend yourself on our site. It was an attack on Corporate America. I was so bored while I was there I bought a copy of Devil May Cry 4. I ate breakfast and lunch in the cafe, went to the movies, and I live in Deland so it was 100 mile round trip. So I spent way too much money to go to an event for the sole reason of taking some pictures to put on our blog, and I assumed with such big named behind the contest that it would be a bigger deal then it was... Which had NOTHING to do with you.

Nah. I didn't take it that way at all. I know it wasn't an attack on me personally. I am a firm believer, however, that there are two sides to every story. Every argument is entitled to a rebuttal. I only stated my opinion in return, which is exactly what you did to start with... right? There aren't any hard feelings on my side... and I hope that you feel the same.

MikeAtRockgamer wrote:
- Having 2 Fenders and 2 Les Pauls to choose from. Let people be their best.
- Hot chick as a Master of Ceremonies (Sorry Vert.. LOL!)
- Band faces the crowd.
- Drums held to the ground some way so they don't slide around (Which that night the first band was nice enough to complain about after their set so the second band didn't have the issue)
- Event not be on a Wednesday night?
- One of the funny things I thought of would be the entire crowd would be encouraged to scream 'you suck' in unison if someone accidentally paused the game. But that's just my sick sense of humor.

If you can get all that done, I'll be there as well hanging with Count220, Draktyr and the rest of the GH/Rock Band junkies in Central Florida.

Back to the Virgin Event, it's really tough to get the funds and support from my store to put on a bigger tournament than what I put together for this event. In the past, I have had stages, projection screens, HDTVs, spotlights and the works. Unfortunately, the store seems to think that this isn't worth the cost of setting it up each time. It's a matter of costs versus returns to the store. I'm only able to work with what they give me, and I attempt to make it the best I can. Usually it goes pretty well. There have been a few occasions however.... (Oh god, horrible Gears of War tournament memories. Ugh.)

Originally... for this Rock Band event I had asked store management to use two big screen TV's, two rock bands on 360, two stages, and two little screens at the front of the each stage so the bands could face the crowd. This unfortunately was shot down due to "time and effort". It looks oddly similar to what you want to do. haha.

As I said before, get it done and I'll be there having some fun and kicking some butt. Rawr. =P

MikeAtRockgamer wrote:
So guess I'll ask.. Whats important and what's not..

Prizes? What would you rather have, money, or something unique like a signed Fender?
Venue?
Crowd? What would you think of having an contest in a big bar with a bunch of people drinking vs. a store.
Amount of Competitors? More or less?
Weekend?

Would you feel snubbed if another band won even though you got a higher score in the game because they had a better stage presence?

Would you play for no prize other then 'first place' if you had a dream setup (Stage, Speakers, Outdoors, Huge TV behind you, lots of competition)

Should downloadable content be allowed?

Prizes - Either could work. Unique items seem to be fairly popular, in my opinion. An example of one situation... one of my friends in our store painted a 360 Xplorer guitar to look like Zakk Wylde's Les Paul. Also, a huge Virgin logo was emblazoned on the back of it. It was a pretty kick ass guitar, and we offered that as a prize for the last GH3 tournament. 40757 from scorehero is now in possession of it

In truth, if the event is free... just getting to meet new people and have fun in a cool environment is enough for me. Anything on top of that is just icing on the cake.

Venue - House get-togethers are always a blast. I'm used to playing in stores from running the tournaments I have done, and going to the other tournaments in the area. As long as the event is well run, this doesn't really bother me.

Crowd - Doesn't matter either way, imo.

Competitors - Draktyr said it perfectly in his last post. The more people there, the better... as long as it doesn't make the time aspect too harsh.

Day of the Week - Weekend definitely. I hated having to run the RB tournament midweek, and personally think it was a goofy decision from 1up. Friday nights, or Saturdays work the best from my previous experiences.

Would you feel snubbed if another band won even though you got a higher score in the game because they had a better stage presence? - Yet again. I agree with Draktyr's last post. I have the same opinion.

Would you play for no prize other then 'first place' if you had a dream setup (Stage, Speakers, Outdoors, Huge TV behind you, lots of competition) - Indeed. Although, it would depend on the entry fee. If it was a ridiculous amount... then no. I'm a college student, I have no money as it is!

Should downloadable content be allowed? - It should. There is too much DLC to neglect it from the playlist. It would also help the diversity of the tournament. You wouldn't have to listen to the same songs over and over again.

All of the above said, if you would like any advice or an opinion on planning your event, please let me know. I have hosted 30+ gaming tournaments, and been to at least as many. I would love to see some great quality gaming tournaments in this area. I would be glad to help with advice or such.
gallery_5702_642_2556.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
count220  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in since I represent the "play for fun" segment more than I do the hardcore high score crowd. I know, I know... ScoreHero is the wrong place for people like me. I'm not saying I suck (my drum scores are more than decent) but overall my buddies and I play to live out our repressed rock star fantasies and jam with our friends.

Prizes - I would rather see a prize that can be split in 4 (gift cards, cash, etc.) than one unique prize. The unique prize is a PERFECT idea for solo contests (or Guitar Hero), but rewarding a 4-person effort with a prize that only one person can enjoy doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree with Vert on free events though... prizes don't matter much if it doesn't cost anything to enter. However, better prizes will always draw bigger crowds.

Venue - As Apollo Creed might say, "Any time any place, chump!"

Crowd - Don't matter.

Competitors - The more the merrier.

Day of the Week - Weekend preferred.

Would you feel snubbed if another band won even though you got a higher score in the game because they had a better stage presence? - Nope, as long as difficulty and score figured into the totals. Personally I enjoy seeing people making fools of themselves.

Would you play for no prize other then 'first place' if you had a dream setup (Stage, Speakers, Outdoors, Huge TV behind you, lots of competition) - Heck yeah, as long as it's free to play. A $20 bar tab wouldn't hurt though.

Should downloadable content be allowed? - Yep, as long as it's not included in a random draw. I don't think it's fair to handicap a team and have them do a sight read just because they haven't bought a particular song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: smeeguel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament didn't suck. In fact, it was one of the funnest I've been to. It's my 2nd favorite, next to the October one with 64 people. You should ask vertiggo about the info next time so you don't arrive there watching kids (hides face) play rockband.
Draktyr  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silenceindminor wrote:
I'm thinking about making the trip down for the March 7th tourny. I am skeptical of the rules. I mean, if a band plays weezer on medium and goes performs well and gets 99% across the board while my band plays on hard/expert but picks like Train Kept a Rollin and do the same but get in the lower 90s, well how fair is that really. What do ya think about it Drak??

Actually I think that it would be wise to choose a good mix of difficulties that would end up being your best %, without dumbing it down too much. For example, whenever we do a tournament we usually do hard drums and hard vocals (even though we usually play expert) due to the possibility of an overly-sensitive mic and a poor drumset. Sometimes our drummer will drop to medium on rediculous songs like RttH and Blackened, since his final % would be less then great on hard or expert. You want to end up with as high a % as possible, since the modifier they're adding is only a small part of the score. Sure, we here on scorehero will love ya for attempting something really hard but it may not win the competition if the percentages come out lower. Another thing you have to consider is the rock-out factor. When you're trying to rock out, playing guitar behind your head and jumping around, it's obviously going to affect your score. If someone in your band can't consistently get 98% or higher on whatever song/difficulty they play on, then I'd suggest they drop down one level. I'm sure it'll deflate their ego a little, but it would certainly be better for the band if you're concerned heavily with winning.

As I said in other threads, this looks like the perfect mix of score/stage presence/costume that I've seen yet. It highly encourages people to rock out and dress up, which is fun...and still gives credit to people who can actually play the songs decently.

Win or lose, it should still be a good time. And since it's at a bar, if it ends up sucking then there's always my good friend Blue Moon to hang out with hope to see you guys there.
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen and I are both free and will show up, hopefully with two others to fill out a band so we can make fools of ourselves.

And, um... Jen, and Jen's friends... are all cute. So we might win even if we all get unconscious scores.

I might suggest for the random song, that a random generator be used, and that random number would select a tier 5-8 song. Just a thought. Excluding 1-4 and 9 kinda makes the random song a little more fair, adds luck. I go by the list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band but don't totally agree with it.. Foreplay/Longtime and Wont Get Fooled Again aren't in the same league(easier) than the other tier 9 band songs.
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we also encourage you guys to add your tags to our list at http://www.rockgamer.com/extras/gamertag/. Most of the people there are top notch (a surprising amount of expert drummers) and it's a pretty tight group. We can talk tourneys while we rock to the Grateful Dead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be on anybodys team. As long as I'm the guitarist.

EDIT: nvm, got a band

Last edited by 40757 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockgamergirl  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea there were so many central Florida rockers out there - that's awesome! I think we should all meet up at the event on the 7th and then make plans to rock at each other's houses in between events. Unless I hate all of you, of course.

Rock Hard or Go Home!

Jen@RockGamer.com

TigerHawk310  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing in my 2 cents--it's a shame that the New York tournament had complete morons actually running the thing, because the staging was almost as good as you could possibly get (I'd have preferred a TV on the floor at stage front center so I could face the crowd while singing), but if they had just had someone (like Vertiggo) who could have checked the equipment ahead of time and used a format that was even remotely fair, it would have been awesome.

But overall, I'd rather have bad staging and a good format to great staging and a terrible format, and I'd have rather played at the FL Virgin event than the NY one. I expect Nipps's tournament on Mar. 29 will be the best one so far in terms of format, though I know the staging won't be as cool as it could be. Hopefully they'll try to recreate the GH2 school gym venue as faithfully as possible
count220  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockgamergirl wrote:

What? No wings? 0 points for stage presence. You'd better fix that before Friday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: smeeguel
zeroenvy  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe i read that.
count220  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I keed. Tres sexy.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draktyr wrote:
Guess "Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat" can chime in with his two cents now.

First off, how many Rock Band tournaments to date have there even been in this area? Or even nationally? Not many. The way you're making this whole thing sound, it's like you've been to several and they were all just amazing, and this one sucked by comparison. Hell, people are still making posts about the "correct" way to score and run a Rock Band tournament, because the damn game's only been out for 4 months.

It can be far, far worse then this, believe me. Did you hear about Otronicon a month ago? The only thing that place had going for it was the stage. Other then that, it was 15 bucks for ANYONE to attend plus a band registration fee, the judging was extremely unjustified and inconsistent, the controllers were badly calibrated, and the drumset (while cool looking) was horribly lagged. We had a miserable time, and it was a waste of money spent on costumes and admission fees for all our friends who wanted to come watch.

Or how about the other two VM tournaments in NYC and LA? All you have to do is read the post about those to get an idea of how rediculous some of that crap was. Qualifying round on 4x easy? Sweet.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think there's been a "dream" tournament to date for us to even compare anything to. No standard has been set, and everyone's idea of what would make the perfect RB tournament has yet to come into fruition anywhere. The VM tournament in Orlando was by far the best one that I've been to yet.

If you can do better, then great. We'll gladly be there to participate. It's a pretty tall order though, with all the things you need to take into consideration:

- Elevated stage area with room for spectators
- Non-biased ruleset which equally rewards skill with stage presence (anyone can dress up like Bon Jovi and get a 55% on easy)
- Precisely calibrated instruments AND drumset
- Proper advertising in advance and sponsor support
- Rewards that justify the entry fee and compensate 4 people
- Allowing bands to play songs/sets that are equally entertaining for the audience without being repetitive (everyone plays GGaHT for max points)

...and the list goes on. I mean, we all know what it would take to run a perfect RB tournament, but actually having it happen is another story. This one was better then most of what I've ever been to, by far.

LOL im not gonna lie... when you were playing the solo in the GGaHT song, your fingers looked like they were mechanical. You moved and played it so smooth lol nice job. (off topic i know XD)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How not to run an event: Anyone remember UGS?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:
How not to run an event: Anyone remember UGS?

Oh god yes. For a while, that looked fun.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: