FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How NOT to run an event...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: How NOT to run an event... Reply with quote

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

How not to run an event.
count220  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a rant about Disney being overpriced?

Thanks for the heads up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: smeeguel
pvtGramps  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that whole thing just had bad mojo all over it. I've had similar experiences with both the Yu-Gi-Oh and Duel Masters tours way back when.

I was young.

I didn't know that corporations had my soul.

*cries*
rkcr  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the problem with poorly-run tournaments stem from one or both of these problems:

1. It's held in a game store. They're holding the tournament just to attract customers, so they couldn't give half a shit if anything is done correctly. #1 usually leads to...

2. None of the people running it are actually big fans of the game itself, and thus don't understand what one would need to do to run a proper tournament.
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, there were a few slip ups with this tournament. First of all, the time (Noon on the online ad instead of 6:30) thing was a screw up from Virgin's corporate office and 1up. It all had to do with someone being let go from the company. Secondly, the advertising from 1up sucked... no ifs, ands or buts. Third, there was only a week (less, actually) to prepare for this event.

But despite all of this, here's the funny part, this tournament was actually pretty darn awesome. In fact, I may go so far as to say that this was the best run Rock Band tournament to date in this area. Heck, the entire southeast. I may be a little biased in saying this, however, since I'm the guy who ran this tournament. So... let's take an opinion from another thread about this tournament on this very forum...

count220 wrote:

Back in Orlando, Jason (Vertiggo) made sure things went smoothly. There were 8 bands and the tournament was set up bracket-style (like a Final Four). Each pair of bands had to play the same 3-song setlist picked from a hat. In other words, Teams 1 and 2 played the same 3 songs, 3 and 4 played another 3 songs, and so on. Once both bands played, the band with the higher total score moved on to the next round and a new setlist. Since there were 3 rounds, the finalists had to play a total of 9 songs. It made for a really balanced and fun night, and the winners -- FEAST 2: Electric Bugaloo -- really deserved to take home the prize. The band I drummed for, [Insert Name Here], managed to scrape together second place (surprisingly since we normally play for fun and not score) and we got a RB bundle for the 360, which works out b/c two of our band members didn't have the game.

If you want to read a full review of the tournament, see this post: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49203#49203

Did I mention this whole event was totally free to enter? Also, we gave out over $900 in prizes out to the top four bands. Has anyone on this forum ever been to a tournament that has a better set up, that you didn't have to pay to enter, with prizes as big as we gave out? If you have and it's in the Orlando area, please let me know... I want to attend the next one

My biggest question is why the person who wrote this blog didn't contact the store to clarify details beforehand. It's not like there were any rules posted on the advertisements. I know the signs in our store said "please talk to a games associate for additional info" as well. Did the writer even sign up to play? I didn't have any band drop out or no show their "stage time". The whole rant seems nonsensical to me, and more about the prices of Disney then the quality of the tournament.

I would understand if this was about the New York Virgin or the LA site tournaments. Those were pretty bad. All in all, however, for the time I had to work my magic on this event, I personally think it turned out pretty darn well and that there wasn't truly anything to complain about. The event was exciting, fair, and most importantly fun. Anyone else who was there can feel free to elaborate on this more if they would like.

Here's a few videos from the event for those who want to see more:

1st place band (with Draktyr on Guitar): http://youtube.com/watch?v=UwPDJiNXN4k
2nd place band (with Count220 on Drums): http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7TavypDFc
gallery_5702_642_2556.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
count220  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Vertiggo.

It sounds like OP soured up from having to wait at WallyWorld all day (and hemorrhage money). I would, too, if I had to pay $5 for a glass of tap water. Blame bad advertising for that one.

The event itself ran smoothly and our band [Insert Name Here] had a great time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: smeeguel
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But despite all of this, here's the funny part, this tournament was actually pretty darn awesome. In fact, I may go so far as to say that this was the best run Rock Band tournament to date in this area. Heck, the entire southeast. I may be a little biased in saying this, however, since I'm the guy who ran this tournament. So... let's take an opinion from another thread about this tournament on this very forum...

1) Virgin Megastore is like 400,000 square feet, 2 floors, and you devoted 10 of those feet to the contest.
2) When you run a Rock Band event, you need to make them feel like rockstars. Get a big screen tv behind them, a mid sized monitor in FRONT of them and let them face the spectators.
3) Your 500 dollar Virgin MegaStore first prize splits into 125 bucks a person, which at VMS buys you a soda, a hat, 2 cd's, and a keychain.
4) You had one sponsor show up. Dream Authentics, who gave away t-shirts that was donated to them by Video Games Live. I guess that's what the 'other great prizes' were that was described on the poster.
5) No, I didn't play, I just watched.

What I hear you saying is 'Everything that sucked was other people's fault, but it was still awesome, cause I ran it'. It was far from awesome. It was a 10 a ten feet rope fence surrounding a small tv. You made each band play with a junky white wired GH guitar. If Harmonix was there I think they would have been embarrassed, and if Richard Branson was there he probably would have bulldozed the store.

And, btw, you can't buy this for a 500 dollar virgin gift card.

Yes, that would be a shirt signed by the HMX development team. We have a couple of em. I wish I could keep it for myself but I promised they would be used for good, not evil. If you look under the drum you'll see Sean Baptiste's signature. HMXSean.

With that being said, I'm glad count and Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat had a good time. But in all honesty, and this is my opinion, they would have had just as much of a good time if the contest was held in someone's basement, or in some warehouse.

When we run our first event I'll let you know.
Shift  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the one in New York was far worse. I wish it could have been like the one in Orlando. And you don't see me bitching. :P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ParadigmShift89
count220  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeAtRockgamer wrote:
With that being said, I'm glad count and Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat had a good time. But in all honesty, and this is my opinion, they would have had just as much of a good time if the contest was held in someone's basement, or in some warehouse.

You said it... we did have a good time. And so did the rest of the contestants there. Ask around if you don't believe me.

Yes, the advertisers screwed up. Yes, the setup was less than glamorous. Yes, Disney is expensive. But everyone involved had a great time at a FREE event. Even third and fourth place walked away with some decent prizes, without paying a penny to enter.

I'm sorry if you feel the way you do. However, judging from all the smiles on the event photos, and the feedback from the people who stuck around for most of the night, I wouldn't call the event a failure by a long shot.

I look forward to you hosting a RB competition in the near future. You KNOW I'll be there with cowbells on.
Draktyr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess "Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat" can chime in with his two cents now.

First off, how many Rock Band tournaments to date have there even been in this area? Or even nationally? Not many. The way you're making this whole thing sound, it's like you've been to several and they were all just amazing, and this one sucked by comparison. Hell, people are still making posts about the "correct" way to score and run a Rock Band tournament, because the damn game's only been out for 4 months.

It can be far, far worse then this, believe me. Did you hear about Otronicon a month ago? The only thing that place had going for it was the stage. Other then that, it was 15 bucks for ANYONE to attend plus a band registration fee, the judging was extremely unjustified and inconsistent, the controllers were badly calibrated, and the drumset (while cool looking) was horribly lagged. We had a miserable time, and it was a waste of money spent on costumes and admission fees for all our friends who wanted to come watch.

Or how about the other two VM tournaments in NYC and LA? All you have to do is read the post about those to get an idea of how rediculous some of that crap was. Qualifying round on 4x easy? Sweet.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think there's been a "dream" tournament to date for us to even compare anything to. No standard has been set, and everyone's idea of what would make the perfect RB tournament has yet to come into fruition anywhere. The VM tournament in Orlando was by far the best one that I've been to yet.

If you can do better, then great. We'll gladly be there to participate. It's a pretty tall order though, with all the things you need to take into consideration:

- Elevated stage area with room for spectators
- Non-biased ruleset which equally rewards skill with stage presence (anyone can dress up like Bon Jovi and get a 55% on easy)
- Precisely calibrated instruments AND drumset
- Proper advertising in advance and sponsor support
- Rewards that justify the entry fee and compensate 4 people
- Allowing bands to play songs/sets that are equally entertaining for the audience without being repetitive (everyone plays GGaHT for max points)

...and the list goes on. I mean, we all know what it would take to run a perfect RB tournament, but actually having it happen is another story. This one was better then most of what I've ever been to, by far.
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draktyr wrote:
Guess "Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat" can chime in with his two cents now.

People have different reasons for entering or tournaments. Some people enjoy being the best. Some people enjoy participating. Some people enjoy watching people that are better then them play.

You and your Kentucky Fried Chicken Hat made that contest twice as entertaining to me. TWICE. That is my personal opinion, which was jaded by the fact the time was changed without notice, and that is what a rant is. An opinion. Count220's fund raising event seems a lot more 'fun' to me because, to be honest, they're probably not too many bands in Central Florida that can beat you based on score. If all events were based on score alone, and you had a better singer then you did that night, people would constantly be fighting for second. I'm not dis'n your singer, he just didn't seem to be in the league as the rest of the band. He sang 100 times better then I could, but Jen would have trounced him.

Draktyr wrote:

- Elevated stage area with room for spectators
- Non-biased ruleset which equally rewards skill with stage presence (anyone can dress up like Bon Jovi and get a 55% on easy)
- Precisely calibrated instruments AND drumset
- Proper advertising in advance and sponsor support
- Rewards that justify the entry fee and compensate 4 people
- Allowing bands to play songs/sets that are equally entertaining for the audience without being repetitive (everyone plays GGaHT for max points)

- Having 2 Fenders and 2 Les Pauls to choose from. Let people be their best.
- Hot chick as a Master of Ceremonies (Sorry Vert.. LOL!)
- Band faces the crowd.
- Drums held to the ground some way so they don't slide around (Which that night the first band was nice enough to complain about after their set so the second band didn't have the issue)
- Event not be on a Wednesday night?
- One of the funny things I thought of would be the entire crowd would be encouraged to scream 'you suck' in unison if someone accidentally paused the game. But that's just my sick sense of humor.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. Jen and I are gonna help advertise count220's event (My business partner's sister is friends with him, and we are both all about charity) and we're going to learn what works and what doesn't. I like his rules and I'm interested in seeing how they work.

Vert, it wasn't a personal attack on you, and I think you took it that way, since you felt the need to defend yourself on our site. It was an attack on Corporate America. I was so bored while I was there I bought a copy of Devil May Cry 4. I ate breakfast and lunch in the cafe, went to the movies, and I live in Deland so it was 100 mile round trip. So I spent way too much money to go to an event for the sole reason of taking some pictures to put on our blog, and I assumed with such big named behind the contest that it would be a bigger deal then it was... Which had NOTHING to do with you.

So guess I'll ask.. Whats important and what's not..

Prizes? What would you rather have, money, or something unique like a signed Fender?
Venue?
Crowd? What would you think of having an contest in a big bar with a bunch of people drinking vs. a store.
Amount of Competitors? More or less?
Weekend?

Would you feel snubbed if another band won even though you got a higher score in the game because they had a better stage presence?

Would you play for no prize other then 'first place' if you had a dream setup (Stage, Speakers, Outdoors, Huge TV behind you, lots of competition)

Should downloadable content be allowed?

Last edited by MikeAtRockgamer on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeAtRockgamer  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I look forward to you hosting a RB competition in the near future. You KNOW I'll be there with cowbells on.

I'm hoping to be at yours, as I am friends with Kim, whose sister is my business partner. I wasn't sure if you had made the connection yet. If I can get my band to come, we'll play. We've got my 3 year old about 60% of the way through say it ain't so, and he can sing Roxanne without getting an unconscious score!

"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"
Draktyr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do an event with everything you just described, that would be pretty damn awesome, and I know several bands that would definently want to participate

My personal answers to your questions:

Prizes - I'm impartial to these, as long as they properly compensate all 4 members of the band assuming there's an entry fee. If no entry fee, then prizes can be whatever. It's free, after all.

Venue - Bar settings are what I'm used to, but that's just because they're usually the ones hosting RB nights.

Crowd - Size doesn't matter as long as they are getting into the competition, and not just "there" watching. People love playing for a loud audience much more then a disinterested one, obviously.

Amount of Competitors - the more the merrier! Although, time limitations would probably have to keep this within reason.

Weekend - Totally.

Would you feel snubbed if another band won even though you got a higher score in the game because they had a better stage presence? - That honestly depends. If we were sitting up there like zombies doing absolutely nothing, and got 95%, then lost to a band that went full out crazy and ended up with 90%, that would be justified. However if it was something unreasonable like a full medium/easy band winning with 80% since they were all girls with butterfly wings, then blah to that. (no, I'm not bitter!) To me, it's tough to find the exact fairness when even a small amount is personal opinion, but I personally favor a 80/10/10 split like the upcoming March 7th competition, in which 80% or so is skill, 10% is costume, and 10% is stage presence. As I mentioned before, anyone can go out and buy this fancy ass costume, and act like a complete muppet for the 5 minutes of their song, but suck at the game. This isn't "Dress up and Spaz out Hero", it's "Rock Band", and at the core of the game is playing ability. That said, this game certainly favors the performance aspect a lot more then GH3 does.

Would you play for no prize other then 'first place' if you had a dream setup (Stage, Speakers, Outdoors, Huge TV behind you, lots of competition) - Absolutely.

Should downloadable content be allowed? - I think it should be, yes. My main reason for supporting it is, we're quickly approaching the day where there are MORE downloadable tracks to choose from then original ones that came packaged with the game. It's clear that this game is intending to regularly add new content, and it would be a shame to disclude that many songs. Only people that get snubbed are the PS2 players who don't have access to that, which can suck. Nothing's stopping those players from sticking to an original setlist choice, assuming the competition doesn't feature any head-to-head situations where they'd be forced to play a song they'd never been able to play before.

The March 7th tournament will be interesting. Will you be attending? It may be a good opportunity for you to get more feedback from the bands that are planning to go to that.
silenceindminor  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making the trip down for the March 7th tourny. I am skeptical of the rules. I mean, if a band plays weezer on medium and goes performs well and gets 99% across the board while my band plays on hard/expert but picks like Train Kept a Rollin and do the same but get in the lower 90s, well how fair is that really. What do ya think about it Drak??
count220  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest worry is the random song. If we get GG&HT or RttH as our random song, we be focusing too hard to put on a good show.

Other than that, here's my advice for this type of contest.

1. Pick a song you can perform well with minimal effort. The idea is to allow you to focus on putting on a show. This is not a score battle. Judges would rather see a great rendition of Buddy Holly than a Perfect Solo on GG&HT by a bunch of statues.
2. Get the crowd involved. Pick a catchy tune that the crowd can sing along or clap to.
3. Pick a relatively short song so you don't lose the crowd.
4. Don't forget the wings and b00bies. =P

This type of judging isn't for everyone. I'd say the ruleset lies halfway between Otronicon (pure show) and the Virgin tournament (pure score). If you think you can have fun with it then we'll see you next Friday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: