FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Guitar/Bass charts/DLC included (TBRB, LEGO Rock Band, GDRB)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Guitar/Bass charts/DLC included (TBRB, LEGO Rock Band, GDRB) Reply with quote

RB 1/2 and DLC (also Green Day) | The Beatles: Rock Band and DLC

Related: Guitar/Bass/Guitar+Bass charts - Drum/Drum+Vocal charts - Vocal charts - Vocaltar charts - Full Band charts

Many apologies for not keeping the threads up to date. I wanted to have the RB2 charts up for release, but various technical and scheduling difficulties popped up and prevented it. Oh well, less than a day isn't bad turnaround, is it?

(Note: This message is copy-pasted to every thread, so ignore anything that doesn't apply to the instrument(s) involved as described in the thread title.)

These charts contain per-measure and cumulative scores, OD whammy beats, solo note counts, clock time since the last OD note before a drum activation fill, and BRE estimated upperbound scores.

For the vocals, these charts contain bare-bones vocals charts. Overdrive activation zones are not marked in the .mid as they are for drums, so I suspect any gap between phrases longer than a certain amount of time (either clock time or number of beats, I'm not sure yet) is a valid activation point. I don't have time to do the needed research for this right now, but I hope to get to it Real Soon Now™. The pitch lines are pretty decent at this point, though sometimes they seem to go off the top or bottom for some reason. The talky part indicator characters (#, ^, and *) are left on the lyrics in case anyone wishes to do any experimenting to try to figure out what the different ones mean, if anything. A * by itself is a percussion hit (I would expect this to be rather obvious).

Zip files with all charts removed due to obscene amount of disk space required, sorry.

A big thank you to rkcr, Revelus, and Sully for finding bugs. Thank pata70 for improvements to the vocal pitch lines. Thanks also go out to Krim and PeridotWeapon in this thread for information about solo bonuses and Big Rock Ending scoring. Big shoutout to debr for documenting Rock Band's .mid format and helping with some rounding issues. Kawigi found and described issues with non-x/4 measures which enabled me to fix them, and make a bit of the code much more readable (it was done in SUCH a stupid way and re-coding it made it much easier to read, and worked better, and was simpler. Yay stupid things).

A huge thank you to Deimos for assisting with DLC.

Rock Band 2 notes:

• Drum solos worked with no code change on my part, hurray! I did have to make it count notes correctly (and not count chords as single notes), but I don't think that qualifies. ;)
  • The delay for a drum activation fill showing up after an OD note has changed! I do not know what the new value is, just that it has changed. This invalidates all drum paths previously created for RB1 and DLC songs.
  • Eventually, I want to indicate hammer-on and pull-off notes on the charts, since they can be manually placed in RB2. This requires (very simple) investigation to determine how they are marked (probably just a flag in the mid with the notes) and an overhaul of the code to be able to draw HOPO notes.

General notes:

• Vocal "slides" (with the slanty pitch tubes) are not drawn at all. Any time a lyric is a +, pretend that the +'s pitch tube and the previous pitch tube are connected with a slanted pitch tube. I haven't tackled how to handle this between measures yet.
  • If there is a held guitar part note or a vocal note that extends out of or into a measure which is not in x/4 time, there may be issues with drawing the held line. I didn't find any test cases in my (admittingly brief) testing, so I don't know. Please let me know if you find one and it doesn't look right.
  • Overdrive backgrounds extend the exact range specified in the .mid file. Sometimes this is significantly shorter than the length of a sustained note (see third note in Foreplay/Long Time for example).
  • If a solo or BRE ends at the far right of a line, the note count/bonus score can get cut off.
  • The .mid BEAT track is now displayed on every chart. The game uses this to determine how long Overdrive lasts. A full bar of Overdrive always lasts for exactly 32 BEAT track beats. Most of the time this is 16, 32, or 64 noteboard beats, depending on tempo. Sometimes, it isn't (see the first break in Foreplay/Long Time for an example). I don't see the two events in the BEAT track doing different things in the gameplay (perhaps different stage lighting or something but nothing that matters for pathing), so I've drawn them all in the same color. If it isn't obvious, you want to look at the small red lines above every set of lines (this also makes a nice seperator for multi-instrument parts). Note that this DOES NOT affect whammy rate, only usage rate. Whammy is always based on noteboard beats.
  • Band per-measure scores, more or less. This is currently done "stupidly", and does not include vocals. It is "stupid" because it takes each instrument's per-measure score and multiplies it by the instrument's maximum multiplier, regardless of whether such a multiplier is possible yet at that point. Vocals is on the to-do list and maybe a smarter way of doing it.

If you find a problem with these charts not outlined above, please send me a private message and I'll look into it.

FAQ
(Yes, I have been asked some of these more than once.)

Q. What did you use to make these charts?
A. I wrote a program in PHP to parse the .mid files (using a library) and coded the rest from there.

Q. How long does it take to make the charts?
A. I completely revamped my code to do every single chart in one go, so it takes significanly less time than it used to. It also stores the parsed .mid files in a (very large file-size) format which it can read nearly instantaneously, instead of taking several seconds to parse the .mid file every time. For the first batch with 147 songs, it took 42 minutes to parse the files and make guitar, bass, guitar+bass, drums, vocals, voxtar, and full band charts; just generating the images from the cached parses took about 16 minutes.

Q: Can I host a mirror for your charts?
A: Not needed, as the 'official' location for them is on a fairly powerful server. Thanks for offering, though.

Last edited by ajanata on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 am; edited 17 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing. I had just finished my first effort at drum cutoffs and was about to ask you when you were moving on to guitar.

Out of curiosity, how does your rounding work? I calculated a few by hand (the only one I double checked enough to be confident in was Mississippi Queen) and got slightly different values. I'm assuming yours more accurately reflects the game's base score calculation, while mine reflects in-game scoring.

In any case, once I parse some of this data, I'll be able to work on figuring out band cutoffs. Woooooo!

[EDIT - Also, your BRE calculations are somewhat conservative. You can add 750 to all of them to get what should be an absolute upper bound (basically accounting for hitting all 5 notes at the absolute end of the fill).]
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I have no idea if I'm close to Rock Band's base score calculation. I'm using the exact same method as Guitar Hero 2 (which does use slightly different rounding for base score and game score), so it's probably close. rkcr and I did a few simple tests, playing a couple guitar and bass scores and FCing without using overdrive and my (cumulative, with multipliers) scores agreed with the game.

I don't think it'd be a full 750 points. The length of the BRE would have to be an exact multiple of the recharge time for that to be the case. If the recharge is linear, I could 750/1.5*time_left and that should be about right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
Out of curiosity, how does your rounding work? I calculated a few by hand (the only one I double checked enough to be confident in was Mississippi Queen) and got slightly different values. I'm assuming yours more accurately reflects the game's base score calculation, while mine reflects in-game scoring.

FYI, in our research we found that holds don't necessarily equal the same value every time.

This is a depressing result, of course. Unfortunately I could never figure out what determined the difference - hitting early and late seemed to make no difference.

If you want half-proof that this does happen, look at the rankings for any song that's easy to FC without a BRE (such as I Think I'm Paranoid or Wave of Mutilation). You'll notice that many scores are even or odd, even at the top. I honestly don't believe that many top players could be "missing" hold ticks so easily.
Sully  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

DLC charts would be amazing. We especially need Bang a Gong and Rockaway Beach since pathing might yield Gold Stars.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
ajanata  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for first batch of DLC charts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I see the DLC charts?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
ajanata  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're currently interspersed in alphabetical order. I don't intend on changing this any time soon, but I suppose a list of what DLC songs are there would be helpful for the time being (until they are all there).

Code:
allthesmallthings.mid
andjusticeforall.mid
bangagong.mid
beethovensc.mid
blackened.mid
cantstandlosingyou.mid
collector.mid
dontlookbackinanger.mid
everfalleninlove.mid
fortunateson.mid
hardtohandle.mid
ifoughtthelaw.mid
lasttraintoclarksville.mid
liveforever.mid
marchofthepigs.mid
movealong.mid
perfectdrug.mid
ridethelightning.mid
rockawaybeach.mid
rockrebellion.mid
roxanne.mid
shake.mid
shockwave.mid
sprode.mid
synchronicity2.mid
thekill.mid
warpigs.mid
wonderwall.mid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh- I needed to refresh the page =O

Time to path Bang a Gong.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revelus has pointed out to me that Move Along has some notes indicated as sustains when they are not sustains in the game. Preliminary research shows it may be player 1/player 2 on/off indicators that are causing it. I'll do further research tomorrow and attempt to fix it. In the mean time, I would suggest against using it to make a path.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stickied, hopefully we can add individual discussion topics for all the DLC charts soon.
Sully  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitch A Ride Expert Guitar is missing a note.

Measure 101, beat 1. It should be OBYBO.... wtf?
Boston692  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Move Along, the last note before 2A, it's not a long note. It's just a regular one.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
Hitch A Ride Expert Guitar is missing a note.

Measure 101, beat 1. It should be OBYBO.... wtf?

That note has a velocity of 14 for some reason. I was assuming note on events would always be >=100. I'll change it to >0. Sigh.

I'm not looking to be generating the charts again for a while, unfortunately. I've got too many projects getting due in the very near future, and not as much time to work on them as I'd like. The charts will suffer. This fix will be in the next version at the very least. If a significant amount of DLC comes out before I have a chance to fix the sustains bug (I did some research and it doesn't make much sense as to what it's doing with the data), I'll make the glitched charts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way for someone to make paths for combined instruments? like 2-part, 3-part and full bands? and if you could would it be able to show the total for each measure like in individual instrument paths? I know that would probably take a while though

I would mostly want it for vocals though, since youalready made charts wigh points for the other instruments

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Wow, you guys got Meister?! I am expecting this group to hit the top
RB3 Bass FGFC! 1st x-plat
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: