FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Charts w/Overdrive Fills & DLC (TBRB, LRB, GDRB)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Drum Charts w/Overdrive Fills & DLC (TBRB, LRB, GDRB) Reply with quote

RB 1/2 and DLC (also Green Day) | The Beatles: Rock Band and DLC

Related: Guitar/Bass/Guitar+Bass charts - Drum/Drum+Vocal charts - Vocal charts - Vocaltar charts - Full Band charts

Many apologies for not keeping the threads up to date. I wanted to have the RB2 charts up for release, but various technical and scheduling difficulties popped up and prevented it. Oh well, less than a day isn't bad turnaround, is it?

(Note: This message is copy-pasted to every thread, so ignore anything that doesn't apply to the instrument(s) involved as described in the thread title.)

These charts contain per-measure and cumulative scores, OD whammy beats, solo note counts, clock time since the last OD note before a drum activation fill, and BRE estimated upperbound scores.

For the vocals, these charts contain bare-bones vocals charts. Overdrive activation zones are not marked in the .mid as they are for drums, so I suspect any gap between phrases longer than a certain amount of time (either clock time or number of beats, I'm not sure yet) is a valid activation point. I don't have time to do the needed research for this right now, but I hope to get to it Real Soon Now™. The pitch lines are pretty decent at this point, though sometimes they seem to go off the top or bottom for some reason. The talky part indicator characters (#, ^, and *) are left on the lyrics in case anyone wishes to do any experimenting to try to figure out what the different ones mean, if anything. A * by itself is a percussion hit (I would expect this to be rather obvious).

Zip files with all charts removed due to obscene amount of disk space required, sorry.

A big thank you to rkcr, Revelus, and Sully for finding bugs. Thank pata70 for improvements to the vocal pitch lines. Thanks also go out to Krim and PeridotWeapon in this thread for information about solo bonuses and Big Rock Ending scoring. Big shoutout to debr for documenting Rock Band's .mid format and helping with some rounding issues. Kawigi found and described issues with non-x/4 measures which enabled me to fix them, and make a bit of the code much more readable (it was done in SUCH a stupid way and re-coding it made it much easier to read, and worked better, and was simpler. Yay stupid things).

A huge thank you to Deimos for assisting with DLC.

Rock Band 2 notes:

• Drum solos worked with no code change on my part, hurray! I did have to make it count notes correctly (and not count chords as single notes), but I don't think that qualifies. ;)
  • The delay for a drum activation fill showing up after an OD note has changed! I do not know what the new value is, just that it has changed. This invalidates all drum paths previously created for RB1 and DLC songs.
  • Eventually, I want to indicate hammer-on and pull-off notes on the charts, since they can be manually placed in RB2. This requires (very simple) investigation to determine how they are marked (probably just a flag in the mid with the notes) and an overhaul of the code to be able to draw HOPO notes.

General notes:

• Vocal "slides" (with the slanty pitch tubes) are not drawn at all. Any time a lyric is a +, pretend that the +'s pitch tube and the previous pitch tube are connected with a slanted pitch tube. I haven't tackled how to handle this between measures yet.
  • If there is a held guitar part note or a vocal note that extends out of or into a measure which is not in x/4 time, there may be issues with drawing the held line. I didn't find any test cases in my (admittingly brief) testing, so I don't know. Please let me know if you find one and it doesn't look right.
  • Overdrive backgrounds extend the exact range specified in the .mid file. Sometimes this is significantly shorter than the length of a sustained note (see third note in Foreplay/Long Time for example).
  • If a solo or BRE ends at the far right of a line, the note count/bonus score can get cut off.
  • The .mid BEAT track is now displayed on every chart. The game uses this to determine how long Overdrive lasts. A full bar of Overdrive always lasts for exactly 32 BEAT track beats. Most of the time this is 16, 32, or 64 noteboard beats, depending on tempo. Sometimes, it isn't (see the first break in Foreplay/Long Time for an example). I don't see the two events in the BEAT track doing different things in the gameplay (perhaps different stage lighting or something but nothing that matters for pathing), so I've drawn them all in the same color. If it isn't obvious, you want to look at the small red lines above every set of lines (this also makes a nice seperator for multi-instrument parts). Note that this DOES NOT affect whammy rate, only usage rate. Whammy is always based on noteboard beats.
  • Band per-measure scores, more or less. This is currently done "stupidly", and does not include vocals. It is "stupid" because it takes each instrument's per-measure score and multiplies it by the instrument's maximum multiplier, regardless of whether such a multiplier is possible yet at that point. Vocals is on the to-do list and maybe a smarter way of doing it.

If you find a problem with these charts not outlined above, please send me a private message and I'll look into it.

FAQ
(Yes, I have been asked some of these more than once.)

Q. What did you use to make these charts?
A. I wrote a program in PHP to parse the .mid files (using a library) and coded the rest from there.

Q. How long does it take to make the charts?
A. I completely revamped my code to do every single chart in one go, so it takes significanly less time than it used to. It also stores the parsed .mid files in a (very large file-size) format which it can read nearly instantaneously, instead of taking several seconds to parse the .mid file every time. For the first batch with 147 songs, it took 42 minutes to parse the files and make guitar, bass, guitar+bass, drums, vocals, voxtar, and full band charts; just generating the images from the cached parses took about 16 minutes.

Q: Can I host a mirror for your charts?
A: Not needed, as the 'official' location for them is on a fairly powerful server. Thanks for offering, though.

Last edited by ajanata on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:01 am; edited 18 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is great! Very nice work.

Not only is this great for pathing, but it'll go a long way towards helping me figure out how cutoffs are determined.

Interesting how basically all the songs of long stretched of fills every four measures.
Additive  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augh you rat basterd! I just started this same project last night and you beat me to it!

good show, ol' chap.

seriously though, totally awesome dude (now i don't have to go through all the testing and calculations ;)

(i'm gonna pm you once i figure out some on my own, just to see your methods and such)

-Cheers!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: sous chef fett
omgChezMix  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! I'll definitely be using these charts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, this is immensely helpful! Before this, I had been recording videos of myself playing a song without activating overdrive to see where all the fill sections are, then tediously watching the video with the note chart and marking by hand where all the fills were. This is infinitely more convenient.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: someguy913ps PSN Name: someguy913
alsoknownas  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very impressive. Thanks for your hard work!

Rock Band Stats:
X Guitar Gold Stars: 48/58
X Guitar FCs: 25/58
X Bass Gold Stars: 54/58
X Bass FCs: 54/58
Total Bass FCs: 89
rkcr  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting them up.

Quote:
Note that if you get overdrive immediately before a fill comes up (it would already have been on the screen), you do not get the fill (I am pretty sure -- someone verify please and let me know).

This is definitely true. When I was testing 29 Fingers (solo), you do not see the 5th OD fill (right after the second OD phrase).

What is unknown is how far away the OD fill has to be from the OD phrase before it appears. My theory is that it is just far enough away that the OD phrase comes down at the end of the fretboard (or is that drumboard?); in other words that it shouldn't suddenly appear. However, the problem with my theory is that the notes are much closer in easy (and more spread out in expert), and it seems odd to me that the fills would be harder to get to in easy than expert.

It may be that testing with custom charts is the only way to really figure this out, since the OD phrase/OD fills in official charts seem to follow certain guidelines which always put OD fills immediately after an OD phrase (or MUCH further away).
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to put something along those lines but it was 3:30 and I was not thinking as straight as I would have liked. >_>

I was kind of irked that I had to generate all of the charts 4 times due to various bugs. XD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.5 is out. See original post for changes.
http://ajanata.com/charts/rb/drums/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
Not only is this great for pathing, but it'll go a long way towards helping me figure out how cutoffs are determined.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Time to break the numbers out again.
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I decided to give it a go. This is Sabatoge on Expert. I circled where the drum fill that is shown doesn't happen. Now-- it might be because I get the overdrive so close to the fill that it doesn't appear, possibly if I had gotten to the fill and had 3 overdrives it might be there, I'm not sure and not about ready to test it. But this path I drew up doesn't work because that fill isn't there using this path.

Or maybe fills act differently when playing with a band.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first available fill in Enter Sandman (expert), as seen in dbv's video, sometimes doesn't appear for me. But only sometimes. Maybe it's because I hit the last note of the 2nd overdrive phrase a few ms too late for it to appear?
ajanata  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would believe both of those are cases of a fill being too close to the end of a phrase for it to show up if you just got a half-bar. The theory rkcr and I have are if it would already be on the screen at the slowest scroll speed (i.e. easy) it doesn't show up on any difficulty. This has not been tested yet, though. I hope to work on it a bit this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some testing on Enter Sandman last night. While playing normally, I got the first fill almost every time. I had to intentionally hit the last note of the second phrase late to not get the fill.

Also, on Easy, the fill is literally _just_ off the screen when the last note of the phrase crosses the pads at the bottom. I did some testing with my camera, and believe I came up with someting like .133333... seconds between the glow starting and seeing the fill at the top. I wanted to get more details but my camera battery died.

I think it's safe to say that the amount of time between the last note in that phrase and that fill is the cutoff. It makes sense that it's related to the scroll speed on easy. All you expert players just never notice it. :p (Not that I play on easy.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: