FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Playing with only 3 Fingers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustypip  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Playing with only 3 Fingers Reply with quote

Hey, just wondering if there is anyone else out there that plays Guitar/Bass with only 3 fingers (Pointer, Middle, Ring)? I hope I'm not the only one =). I don't play this style to show off, it's the only way I know how to play. My pinky can't move fast and properly so I learned to play around it. I can beat the Expert career on both Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 on Guitar. Check out my scores, I hope to add more later on and possible a video once I get my camera working again.
iagomonk  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what do you do when you have to span green/orange, or play a four note chord?
Dustypip  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iagomonk wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you do when you have to span green/orange, or play a four note chord?

Well I stretch my fingers out really far for the green/orange. I have kind of longer fingers. For 4 note chords don't exist at the moment, (aside from custom songs) luckily I don't have to worry about them yet.
directshot999  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Playing with only 3 Fingers Reply with quote

Dustypip wrote:
Hey, just wondering if there is anyone else out there that plays Guitar/Bass with only 3 fingers (Pointer, Middle, Ring)? I hope I'm not the only one =). I don't play this style to show off, it's the only way I know how to play. My pinky can't move fast and properly so I learned to play around it. I can beat the Expert career on both Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 on Guitar. Check out my scores, I hope to add more later on and possible a video once I get my camera working again.

I think KingofTerrors uses 3 fingers, and he's amazing. Look at his YouTube videos.
moedameyer  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i only use 3 fingers also (for the same reasons).. i play on expert also but i cant beat the last 3 songs (i suck at solos, lol). the only thing that gets me sometimes is the green-orange splits and the green-blue-orange notes.
Ozznfruitloops  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using 3 fingers is the better means for solos in most situations. The problem with that is always knowing where your situated. Most people know where theya re based on their first finger and last finger position. Using three fingers adds a new position. There are essentially Three using three fingers. , , .

Your pointer, middle, and ring are actaully faster and more accurate than your pinky being involved. If you can develop a style that involves more sliding and less pinky, i think you could be very nasty. The problem lies with getting hand speed down to get to first and third position, and gettnig over the desire to use your pinky.

I dunno, its something i've tried to do and as i get better, is something im naturally doing. a Phrase that was , i now use three fingers. A good example is Welcome Home's intro and the part after with the rising and descending notes.
5*Hard TTFAF:
Xpert Lou: -_-a
5*Xpert: None Yet
5*Xpert Bonus: None Yet
FINISH TTFAF Xpert: ::blows brains out::
Crazed  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few topics about this before and there are a few people who play with three fingers, including myself. I'm pretty sure Armageddon does.

iagomonk wrote:

For G-O I can stretch that pretty easily. As for Go that Far's rhythm section in GH3, I usually do use my pinky but it's the only time I ever use it anymore. I was debating to start playing that 1123 but I haven't played GH3 for a long time, let alone Go That Far's rhythm section which I have played twice overall.

I slide a lot with both my index and ring fingers when I play. It feels better than using my pinky and I've adjusted to playing this way. I've tried adjusting and trying to use my pinky. It just doesn't work for me for two reasons.
#1 I've adjusted to using three different transitions and make mental mistakes when only trying to use two.
#2 My pinky is weak.

Overall, I'm better off using 3 fingers.
Dead0ne  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also play 3 fingers, for GH and real guitar. I five starred all songs in Gh3 and Gh2 except for the following: Six, Jordan, The light that blinds,TTFAF, TWIE,TTL. Three note chords and finger stretchs feel natural to me. My pniky sucks.

5 Star all main setlist songs (x) ( HAHAHA!)

Put in ALL my old scores in again(x)

Make next year's competiteve leagues (x)

20 GH3 100%'s (x) Hell yeah
gwakamoley  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with 3 fingers myself, because when I played easy, medium, and hard there was no need to use my pinky. I just became accustomed to not using it ever. My friends gawk at me because they use their pinky all the time, and im better than them
Ozznfruitloops  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, i think three fingers are a superior way, but its very hard to learn how to do it without relearning to play the game
5*Hard TTFAF:
Xpert Lou: -_-a
5*Xpert: None Yet
5*Xpert Bonus: None Yet
FINISH TTFAF Xpert: ::blows brains out::
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Jed, I believe, in the podcast who said that he plays standing up, lefty, without a strap, and only three fingers. And he's good. So you could argue whether it's easier to play with your pinky or not, it just depends on how you start out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
letthereberock  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am one of those people, like jed who plays oddly:

left handed
no lefty flip
standing
no strap
3 fingers.

its just how it feels natural.

THERE ARE 10 TYPES OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD.

THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND BINARY, AND THOSE WHO DONT.
Spyd3r  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only play with two, have a video up on youtube if care to see it. And I've beaten hard on GH3(Can't do the last 2 tiers of expert ) and expert on RB :P. Just shows anyone can find a way to play heh.
MetalFox117  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mainly three, and just shift my hand all over the fretboard. Sometimes, I'll catch myself using my pinky, but I mostly do just the three. I kinda switch back and forth.. but, yar. Three for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Metal Fox 17
NachoHat7  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell did you beat the mosh then

...And Justice for all got pwned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: