FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunslinger21  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3111460214333127
aznboi77  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multiplier also counts for tambourine hits on the Wii.
FiftyQuid  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a complete noob vocals question. I'm trying for the EXPERT Vocals trophies/achievement and I have one question that has not been answered in the 7 pages of this thread;

What is a phrase?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyQuid wrote:
This is a complete noob vocals question. I'm trying for the EXPERT Vocals trophies/achievement and I have one question that has not been answered in the 7 pages of this thread;

What is a phrase?

LOL You know what, I can't explain it in short.

Basically, if you see the chart on the lyrics. The lyrics that are in between the two vertical lines are A PHRASE.

EXAMPLE: Down with the Sickness ---- |Can you hear that| (that is one phrase) ---- |oh, woa-ah-ah-ah| (that is another phrase)

It is how the game divide lyrics into parts and use it to calculate scores in the end.

My YouTube Channel
FiftyQuid  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Is it possible to get 100% and not hit every phrase?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, NOPE.

You can however, miss Tambs/Cowbells and still get 100%

You can also have less then the FULL PIE and yet to get an Awesome on that phrase. So for example, if the max point of a song is 100,000 (being that it is also the best path with no EXTRA squeeze point left). It is possible to have a person with 100% and only have 99989 in points.

My YouTube Channel
FiftyQuid  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone have any opinions on what song would be the easiest to snag the PS3 100% Expert Flawless Vocals trophy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyQuid wrote:
So does anyone have any opinions on what song would be the easiest to snag the PS3 100% Expert Flawless Vocals trophy?
In RB2, a song with all talkies.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: sonicdude164 PSN Name: sonicdude164 Wii Friend Code: 2636125983192222
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyQuid wrote:

So Whatcha Want or Testify. There's a lot of talkies on DLC as well (Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Tame, Debaser, Thrasher, Clouds Over California, etc.).
ErikSchierboom  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
* Whenever possible, keep your lungs full, particularly when you know a song has many, many continuous phrases in a row. Deep breaths always - nothing will ruin your pitch than running out of air in the middle of a phrase.

This has already helped me a lot, my scores seem to go up a lot. Now I need to practice on singing the low parts as I'm still terrible at those.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rock band for christmas today (WOOT!!!). I tried out Vocals, but It doesnt stay on the pitch. I tried a higher and lower pitch, but that didnt work. I would just falsetto, but i dont think im good at that yet. Any tips?

Oh, and your guide just really goes over my head. Im not critizicing it or anything, because its an exellent guide; im just saying that your tips are going through one ear of this newbie vocalist and out the other. So, is there a way that you can condense to newb speak for me?

Also, on some of them, the arrow looks like its cliffhanging off the phrase. What does that mean?

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Icemage  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
I got rock band for christmas today (WOOT!!!). I tried out Vocals, but It doesnt stay on the pitch. I tried a higher and lower pitch, but that didnt work. I would just falsetto, but i dont think im good at that yet. Any tips?

Oh, and your guide just really goes over my head. Im not critizicing it or anything, because its an exellent guide; im just saying that your tips are going through one ear of this newbie vocalist and out the other. So, is there a way that you can condense to newb speak for me?

Also, on some of them, the arrow looks like its cliffhanging off the phrase. What does that mean?

Go through the vocals tutorial in-game. It'll give you the basics.

If the arrow on-screen isn't matching the line, it means you're out of tune with the lead singer. If you're at least "close", it'll show you roughly how far from the line you are. If you're desperately off-key(more than maybe 3 notes off), the arrow will just hover in the center of the scoring area.

When the arrow drops down and there is no pitchline, those are talky phrases. You just need to say/shout/whisper the right words on those. Again, see the vocals tutorial for more information about how that works.
Salamence20  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals Reply with quote

What does BOD mean? Activate before overdrive? Whats that mean?
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please if you can edit that quote down somehow. We don't need to have the whole thing repeated =).

BOD = Before Overdrive.

If a OD path had a 3/BOD, this would mean collect 3 OD's then activate in the window right before the next overdrive (yellow text) phrase appears.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is due for some updates for Rock Band 2. After several months of singing in RB2, there are some stylistic and technical differences between the two games that make some new tricks possible.

Pitchslides

(places where the line rises or falls at an angle instead of being a horizontal line):

These are worth a disproportionate amount of credit toward a phrase, and your slide doesn't necessarily have to be completely accurate to score them well. Make sure that you don't "jump" your voice down to the lower pitch and you'll get these easily.

Talkies

Almost all talkies, aside from a very tiny handful scattered about in a few songs, work just fine in Rock Band 2. You can pretty much ignore ALL of the previous advice for Rock Band 1.

For 90% of talky phrases in Rock Band 2, making almost any sound will score them properly. For 99% of them, whispering the same words works even better and faster.

For the 1% or so of talkies that are very peculiar, in all but two known cases, setting sensitivity very high + moving the microphone several inches away from your mouth and whispering as quietly as you can will score virtually all talkies.

The only two talkies in the game at the time of this posting that do not respond to these techniques are the first "getcha getcha" phrase in One Way Or Another, and the final talky in Cherry Bomb.

Vibrato

Vibrato (quivering your voice up and down slightly "around" a note) was your enemy for scoring in Rock Band 1. However, it CAN be useful in Rock Band 2 for hitting off-key notes that you're having trouble hitting and/or remembering. You can be a little farther from the "correct" pitch and still get credit in Rock Band 2, and as long as you're bouncing around near the pitch often enough, you'll get almost full credit for that part of a phrase using vibrato.

Any song with off-key chromatic pitches can be made easier with vibrato in Rock Band 2, from Vasoline's tremendously aggravating "one time a thing occurred to me" to most of the songs from The Killers to Gimme Shelter.

I don't recommend using it full-time unless you really know what you're doing, but if you're falling just short of filling the pie on a song with weird pitches, it's worth a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: