FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robtcee13  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SISOSIG: Awesome on the first phrase... 397 points! On Medium, of course.

Is this just a really screwed up grading system, or am I misunderstanding it? I think I'm supposed to get only an awesome rating and multiplier ONLY if the pie is completely full and if I get the full 400 (or 1000) points... But here I got 397 and an awesome. >_>

[] Finish listing all of the music in both RB games.
[] Finish planning the Infinite Setlist performance.
[] Get the Stage and Light Kit, and the ION kit.
[] Perform, and raise at least 1500$ to balance out the losses from the expenses.
lanceuppercut  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
- Dont Swallow your sound. This is most likely the cause of many people being unable to hit low notes. You should be putting the sound forward and outwards, not putting it in the back of your throat.

i've just started the vocal tour (i'm a drummer, me) and this tip has helped me so much.

i went from a mighty 7k points on blitzreig bop on easy and now going through on medium and 4/5 starring songs and enjoying it actually.

which is quite a feat for me, as i dont like to sing
Robtcee13  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a general question. There are songs like Green Grass and High Tides, Black Hole Sun, and such that I can't sing like crap. I can't reach GGaHT in anyway no matter how hard I try. I can pass it well enough and 5 stars thanks to tambourines. Black Hole Sun just requires me to sing REALLY low and I'm wondering if there's something to it.

Like, my range is so limited that singing low to hit BHS or GGaHT stuff is horribly painful, and I can't reach it an octave up. Most of the typically harder rated songs I can easily hit. I can even reach the highest stuff of Tom Sawyer and Run to the Hills. Can't quite hit the highest thing in Long Time but... Any general advice to a really limited range that leaves me unable to sing BHS? >_>

[] Finish listing all of the music in both RB games.
[] Finish planning the Infinite Setlist performance.
[] Get the Stage and Light Kit, and the ION kit.
[] Perform, and raise at least 1500$ to balance out the losses from the expenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few "song specific tips", about octave changes:

Tom Sawyer - "Friction of the day" - 'the' and 'day' are the same note

I'm So Sick - "So you'll shut up and stay sleeping" - Every note in that phrase except "sleeping" is the same note

Outside - "Who knows, could be" - Could and be are the same note

Welcome Home - At the 'Oh's in the ending, on the second phrase in each set of three phrases, the first two notes in that phrase are the same.

Epic - "But you can't have it" and "But you can't grab it" are exactly the same

All my Pro Keys scores are done with only the right hand touching the keys (left hand used for OD and touch strip).
Evidence that it's possible to play the piano line of Roundabout with one hand: 6:45
(She has more crazy piano stuff in her second quiz too!)

OCD: 70/83
h311CrA73R  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for inside the fire intro, if your using the regular mic, or any hard top one, just take your fingernail, or a guitar pick and scratch the mic for the opening laugh, easy awesome
TheMurder  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general tip, monotony is NOT GOOD. The more you try to sing a song and fail it, you will get bored of it more and more and more, causing your effort to sink more and more until the point where you're failing even worse. Generally, if it's possible, if you're failing a particular song, leave it for later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robtcee13, the are 2 parts to how low/high you voice is. If you want to sing deep relax you throat and then sing low. But for GG&HT, you want to make your throat feel tight and attempt to sing high. If you cross these, you'll get your regular voice, and (I think) that's your problem.

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
3.20.10 - First to FGFC 3 instruments on RB2.
Kniffin  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm just starting to try out Vocals and I decided to try out the Tutorial first. It was teaching me the basics of activating Over Drive, but I couldn't get it to work. The rest of the singing was registering, so my mic is fine. However, when the OD activation came up, I'd say all kinds of things to get it going and nothing happens. I all but screamed until my face turns red to get it to work and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong? I can't accept that it'd be this hard to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DAVID KNIFFIN PSN Name: Kniffin Wii Friend Code: 7121065051422612
WildcatTennis  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kniffin wrote:
Okay, I'm just starting to try out Vocals and I decided to try out the Tutorial first. It was teaching me the basics of activating Over Drive, but I couldn't get it to work. The rest of the singing was registering, so my mic is fine. However, when the OD activation came up, I'd say all kinds of things to get it going and nothing happens. I all but screamed until my face turns red to get it to work and still nothing.

maybe when activating turn your sensitivity wayyyy up quick like a cat.

#1 fan for AWG!... I need a life.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: WildcatTennis
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kniffin wrote:

I'll get the crazy-but-still-possible possibilities out of the way first:
Are you sure you have at least half a bar of OD?
Are you screaming when the bar is yellow with a pattern in the background?
You mic is plugged in, right?

If the answer is yes to all of those:
What song(s) are you trying this on?
Are you trying to activate later on in the OD window?
What kind of mic are you using?
What is your sensitivity set to?

Some songs (such as 29 Fingers, Go With the Flow and Can't Let Go) have tricky windows where, for whatever reason, you cannot activate too late in the OD window, no matter how hard you try.

Some activation windows are very small and can be very hard to hit. The most obvious ones are the first activation in Outside, the second activation in The Hand That Feeds, and the last activation in Highway Star, assuming you are following the optimal OD path.

You can try setting the sensitivity of your mic up a bit, but it really shouldn't be too big of a factor as most of us play with the sensitivity set really low anyways and it works for us just fine.

If nothing above applies to you or helps you, RMA your mic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:

I'll get the crazy-but-still-possible possibilities out of the way first:
Are you sure you have at least half a bar of OD?
Are you screaming when the bar is yellow with a pattern in the background?
You mic is plugged in, right?

If the answer is yes to all of those:
What song(s) are you trying this on?
Are you trying to activate later on in the OD window?
What kind of mic are you using?
What is your sensitivity set to?

Some songs (such as 29 Fingers, Go With the Flow and Can't Let Go) have tricky windows where, for whatever reason, you cannot activate too late in the OD window, no matter how hard you try.

Some activation windows are very small and can be very hard to hit. The most obvious ones are the first activation in Outside, the second activation in The Hand That Feeds, and the last activation in Highway Star, assuming you are following the optimal OD path.

You can try setting the sensitivity of your mic up a bit, but it really shouldn't be too big of a factor as most of us play with the sensitivity set really low anyways and it works for us just fine.

If nothing above applies to you or helps you, RMA your mic.

Yeah, I'm just trying to do it in the Tutorial with the standard RB mic and sensitivity on default setting. All the singing in the lesson was going just fine, then it got to the Over Drive lesson and I couldn't get it to work. I got a full charge and I said all kinds of things and even screamed into it and nothing... it was pissing me off, so I just went back to Guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DAVID KNIFFIN PSN Name: Kniffin Wii Friend Code: 7121065051422612
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try it in a real song? I've never gone through the tutorial.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips a lot :P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: azndude3194
RickyGeddes  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: x pearl jam xx
gh2H2  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have made a simple video about squeezing, it shows the subtle differences between squeezing and activating normally. hopefully it can help out some people who may have questions with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taNcPdkta24
Most Recent: when you were young
52/58
58/58
Ranked: 59thon Scorehero
Ranked: 62nd XBL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: