FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals Reply with quote

I figured since we often get the generic "How can I do better at Vocals" in this forum, I'd make an all purpose thread that answers some of the more basic questions.

Scoring System
Each phrase in Rock Band is scored according to how much you fill up the pie. If you fill it all the way, you get an "Awesome" rating. If you fill it most of the way, you get "Strong". A little more than halfway is an "Okay", and I'd say that between 1/4-1/3 is a "Weak" and less than that is a "Messy." In order to keep a combo going, you MUST get an Awesome rating for the phrase.

The maximum score you can get on each song (without using Overdrive) can be calculated using this formula:

d+2d+3d+4(n-3)d+p*125

Where
n is number of phrases
p is number of percussion notes
d is score representative of your difficulty:
Easy=200
Medium=400
Hard=800
Expert=1000

You can get more points on the percussion for the PS2 version because the multipliers count.

OD (Overdrive) doubles the score for a fixed number of beats (and it pauses for longer inter-phrase gaps) so the ideal tactic is to use it for short phrases.

(Thanks go to TheRidge and GuestWednesday for the info)

Microphone
If you are using the Xbox360 Headset, turn your sensitivity down, a LOT. It really helps with getting things to register correctly.

Some aftermarket mics are said to be a lot better, with less lag. Some people use the microphone from the Karaoke Revolution games (like me), and there is also the Logitech Vantage Mic which costs $30 (and I believe is the exact same one that is packaged with KR, though the KR mic is black).

Logitech Vantage Mic: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Logitech-Vantage-Microphone/dp/B000ZRVT6W

(Thanks to Nickisimo for his info on the the Logitech mic)

General Singing Tips

- The game measures your pitch on all of the singing sections, not whether you say the words right, etc. The more you can make yourself sound like a keyboard, the better you will fill the pie. Basically, keep your pitch as steady as possible... don't let the arrow waver at all. Humming is not considered cheating by most folks here, but it does make the game less fun/interesting.

- Start singing a phrase early, if you can. You are not penalized for singing early/singing in sections that don't have pitch lines, so take advantage of that and start sections early so that you can adjust your pitch and have the arrow match the line. Making sure you match up the pitch line to the arrow is crucial - I think it's actually better to get half a phrase at 100% the right pitch than the whole phrase slightly flat or sharp, but I will have to check that.

- You can sing in any octave you want. If a note is too low or too high, try changing octaves. You can change either at the beginning of the phrase, or even mid-phrase if you want. There seems to be a little bit of adjustment time if you change octaves though, so just be wary about changing too often in the middle of a phrase. For those who are not aware of what an octave is: Think of someone singing Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do - the first Do is in one octave, and the second Do is in the next octave up. The game will register both "Do"s as the same note.

- After you have completely filled up the "pie," no more points are added to your score. Use this to your advantage by filling up the pie as early as possible, then using the end of the phrase to catch your breath, take a larger breath than normal, or lead into the first note of the next phrase. Phrases with really long note tubes are usually more vulnerable to this tactic. It really helps on I Get By.

- Many people find it easier to sing falsetto. It sounds weird when you do it, but I've heard that it helps a lot. Basically you raise your voice up an octave or two and sing a lot more airily.

- Knowing what the song sounds like helps enormously. That means knowing the song inside and out. Listen to the songs outside of the context of the game and really hear what the vocalist is singing.

- If you're new to a song, focus on listening to the melody and getting the notes first, words later. You're better off not confusing yourself and focusing on one thing at a time. Once you've got the hang of the melody, add the words where you're most comfortable. This doesn't apply to talky parts, obviously.

- Others have found that the static vocal style works better for them. If you're having issues with the way the game is set up by default, try switching to this to see if it helps you improve. This is definitely a preference thing, but don't discount it if you haven't tried it.

- You can use the A button on the Xbox 360 Controller for percussion sections. Just do it and save yourself frustration due to mic hardware difficulties later.

- When trying to hit notes that slide in pitch, aim your pitch at the tip of the arrow. This will help you from going to high/low too fast and therfore missing the tube.

- Use and abuse octave shifts. I Think I'm Paranoid is probably the best example, but there's a number of other songs that have notes that are just unreachable by the majority of singers (Peace of Mind comes to mind here). Straining for a note outside your normal singing range not only often produces results which aren't on-key, but it hurts, too. For the ladies out there, straining to get down to a low note causes similar, though less severe, problems.

- The game suggests that louder is better. This is NOT true. As long as you're close enough to the microphone for it to pick up the pitch you're singing at, you're fine. Don't overdo the volume for the sake of theatrics; it's tiring, and you can hurt yourself trying to shout out lyrics outside your comfort zone. If you're getting a weak pitch indication, move the microphone closer to your mouth - that will do far more than elevating the volume of your singing.

- Don't try to exactly mimic the original singer, EXCEPT for talky parts. Mimicking the tones of the original vocalist will often produce low scores, as they're often not on key, or have warbles/vibrato that score poorly. Rock Band almost always wants perfectly flat notes for the best scores.

(Thanks go to AJayN85 and IceMage for some of these tips)

Talking Sections

Ah the dreaded talking sections. I'm fairly bad at them, myself, so here are the tips I've managed to gather from this forum:

- Turn your mic sensitivity down, way down, for songs that have a lot of talking sections (Sabotage, Epic, etc.) It seems to help a lot more if you do this. For the singing parts of these songs, don't be afraid to eat the microphone to make sure your singing registers.

- If you don't like the idea of fiddling with your sensitivity, then try speaking them a lot softer, or pull the mic further away from you. I think the main issue that people have with talking sections is that they're probably being registered as kinda garbled since the microphone is too sensitive.

- Get your timing spot on. Timing is very important for the talking sections, unlike the singing sections. I've noticed that if I say "Timmy" just a fraction of a second too late at the beginning of that song, I can't get the "Awesome" rating on it. Also it may just be me but it seems like earlier is a bit better than late on talking sections. In the podcast, Sean from HMX said that saying them a 1/2 second earlier helps.

- Sound as much like the artist as possible. In songs like The Hand that Feeds, during that talking section he sounds more like he is saying "Fades" than Feeds" and this actually seems to help.

- Enunciating the beginning and the ends of the words in the talking sections seems to also be a good way to get the talking sections to register.

The talking sections are quite frustrating, but don't give up on them - it's just about figuring out what the game wants you to say. Many folks have gotten Awesome on the talking sections of almost all the songs (Has anyone figured out that Ow in Next to You yet?) so look around here for tips on individual songs.

(Thanks to skeltonath, SilentEcho, Slowhand, Nickisimo, CowShark and AJayN85 for the tips)

Overdrive and Vocal Squeezing

As noted in the scoring section, Overdrive will double your points earned for a certain number of beats. In solo play, your Overdrive will not deplete mid-phrase if the duration of time between a phrase ending and the beginning of the next phrase is greater than one measure. This does not happen in Band play, though - your meter will decrease steadily in Band play no matter what.

This means that with a combo going and Overdrive on, you can get a maximum of 8000 points for each phrase.

Overdrive does affect your percussion sections - you will get 2x25 pts for each percussion hit under Overdrive. However, it's not really the most efficient use of OD and really should only be used if necessary (like, the end of Dani California, where the last phrase in the song before the percussion section is an OD phrase).

Many of the songs have optimal paths - check the Vocals forum for these OD paths - they can make a fairly big difference in score.

Billtvshow's Guide To Overdrive Pathing Notation:
2/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive half full.
3/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive 3/4 full.
4/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive full.
AI means hit all activations the first opportunity possible.
AS means Activation Squeeze (Which means you need to squeeze in order to catch an OD phrase later to keep your overdrive running longer)
RS means Reverse Squeeze (Which means you should not squeeze the phrase, and should hit the activation earlier than normal, this is usually to accomplish the opposite of an activation squeeze)
AT means After Taps (aka Tambourines, Cowbells, Claps)
BOD means activate before overdrive
sk1 means rather than hitting the first activation, you should skip it and hit the next.
sk2 means that you should skip 2 activations and hit the third.
And so on...

Vocals CAN be squeezed. The idea is to activate your overdrive as late as possible in the activation section, as it gives you additional overdrive in your meter to carry onto the phrase when your overdrive would typically run out.

When your OD is about to run out, you want to fill the pie as much as you possibly can to squeeze out extra points. The game will give you 2x the amount of points for however much of the pie you have filled when the OD runs out, and then score you accordingly for the rest of the phrase.

(Thanks to violinhero86 for the info on squeezing... and props for being the best vocal squeezer out there - also thanks to AJayN85 for OD info... props to Billtvshow for standardizing OD path notation)

Song Specific Tips

- "I Think I'm Paranoid": During the chorus, the high note for "par-" is the same note as the notes before and after it, so there's no need to change octaves.

- "Here It Goes Again": Don't bother trying to hit the short low notes during the chorus -- you're better off making sure the notes before and after them are solid. They're too short to make a large difference in your phrase meter.

- "Maps": During the second and third choruses, the note tubes for the low "you" in "They don't love you like I love you" and the high "Wait" that follows right after are the same note, so there's no need to change octaves.

- "Maps": This is almost not practical, but you can Awesome the entire first "Oh say say say..." section and the long "Maps" phrase of the chorus by holding the top note through the entire phrase and not changing it.

- "Welcome Home": Both times that it appears, the notes for the "longed" in "Is our love ever longed" and the "With" in "With truth on the shores of compassion" are the same note, so there's no need to change octaves.

- "My Sharona": You don't need to sing the lower notes for "stop", "up", etc. Just maintain the pitch for "Never gonna" and you will easily get an Awesome rating on those phrases.

(Thanks go to AJayN85 for the majority of these tips)

General Vocal Tips
Collective knowledge from those around these boards. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed!

- Unlike the other rockband instruments, singing in RB is no different than singing in real life (except the game grades you and wants you to sing a specific way). There are mountains of material on the internet to help people sing better. Go read.

- Warm yourself up on vocals. Nothing hurts your voice more than pushing your limits when you haven't warmed up. Sing some easier songs and just take it easy at first.

- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink water often while you play. It'll be a lot less of a strain on your vocal cords. Room temperature water is better than cold water, as cold water will make your vocals cords shrink. Lemons apparently help to clear the mucus in your throat.

- Things that are bad for your voice: caffiene, alcohol, milk/dairy, smoking. It's okay to consume most of these things in general just don't do it directly before you sing. Alcohol causes your vocal chords to swell for up to 48 hours and milk/dairy will cause you to produce mucus in your throat.

- It is generally better to stand while singing than sitting. When you're sitting you're compressing the amount of space you have available in your chest cavity. Slouching is actually detrimental to just about every brass and woodwind instrument along with vocals. If you're standing up, or at least sitting upright, you have more room to fill up your lungs with air, so you can sustain notes longer and provide the air necessary to hit higher notes. Tone and lung capacity improve if you're sitting correctly (or standing, for that matter).

- Don't look down while singing..especially if you are trying to hit higher notes. Keep your chin up a bit. Chin down makes things worse. If you get to the point where you are contorting your body to try to hit certain notes, let it go..you can't hit them...and trying to do so may damage things.

- Don't ruin your voice..not for a game. Once you feel your throat voice getting tired - pack it up for the night. I would say the same for any instrument..but I know many people keep pushing themselves beyond fatigue when playing guitar on this game (guilty myself)...this is REALLY not a good idea on vocals.

- Don't use vibrato. Not only will it ruin your score in the game, but most people use it as a crutch to hold/hit notes they otherwise can't. Learn to sing without it and you will be a better singer in the end.

- If you feel yourself starting to go flat, one way to raise your pitch a microtone is to raise your eyebrows. This gives your voice a brighter tone, which generally brings pitch up by about 1/8 of a tone.

- Dont Swallow your sound. This is most likely the cause of many people being unable to hit low notes. You should be putting the sound forward and outwards, not putting it in the back of your throat. The best way to learn this is by singing through your nose, to the point you may sound like Urkel. Take a normal pitch and sing it down till you get lower. You can also think of playing wind/brass instraments. The air your pushing needs to go forward.

- Whenever possible, keep your lungs full, particularly when you know a song has many, many continuous phrases in a row. Deep breaths always - nothing will ruin your pitch than running out of air in the middle of a phrase.

- For the guys out there, try to avoid using falsetto if you're going to be doing a lot of singing. It strains your vocal cords a lot more than singing normally, particularly if you're trying to sing loudly.

(Thanks to rabies, duo797, ArcadicGamer and IceMage for the additional tips!)

More Info
GuestWednesday's info on pitches and octaves:

Pitch is how high or low the note is, and the pitch the game hears you at is shown by how high or low the arrow is on the screen (except for different octaves, see below). The keys on a piano keyboard play higher pitches to the right and lower pitches to the left.

When people talk about singing up/down an octave, they mean singing the next highest/lowest note of the same name (note names are the letters under the picture above) instead of the original one. Even though it's a different pitch, it is the same note and the music will still sound "right", and the game will still recognise it as the same note.

On a piano you can try playing a white key and another white key 7 spaces to the left or the right to hear this - every 8th white key is the same note an octave apart. You can see the pattern of white and black keys repeats for every octave.

You probably instinctively sing down one or more octaves when trying to sing certain female parts if you're male, or vice versa. You might need to switch octaves during a song, or even during a phrase, to make it easier.

===========================================

I'll edit/amend to this post as needed - also let me know if I've made mistakes or didn't credit people appropriately (I'm only human ).

Last edited by pmswedge on Mon May 12, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
violinhero86  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great. Excellent work.
bach741  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, good job! I like the tips on the talky parts - hopefully that will help me work my way up from 12th on the leaderboards. Spoken bits are always the death of me!!
skeltonath  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work
This all looks really spot on for tips.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: The Skeltonath
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, wedgie. That's pretty comprehensive.

You're right about caffeine too. I noticed when I'm wired from green tea/coffee/soda it's a lot harder to hold notes since my voice is fluttering.
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents cover general tips.

1. Unlike the other rockband instruments, singing in RB is no different than singing in real life (except the game grades you and wants you to sing a specific way). There are mountains of material on the internet to help people sing better. Go read.

2. It is generally better to stand while singing than sitting.

3. Don't look down while singing..especially if you are trying to hit higher notes. Keep your chin up a bit. Chin down makes things worse. If you get to the point where you are contorting your body to try to hit certain notes, let it go..you can't hit them...and trying to do so may damage things.

4. Don't ruin your voice..not for a game. Once you feel your throat voice getting tired - pack it up for the night. I would say the same for any instrument..but I know many people keep pushing themselves beyond fatigue when playing guitar on this game (guilty myself)...this is REALLY not a good idea on vocals.

edit:
Forgot one big one. Don't use vibrato. Not only will it ruin your score in the game, but most people use it as a crutch to hold/hit notes they otherwise can't. Learn to sing without it and you will be a better singer in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
2. It is generally better to stand while singing than sitting.

I'm weird in that I sing much better sitting than standing up, and I usually sit pretty slouched with my feet rested on the table. Maybe it's because my TV is low and I have to look down to see it when standing up that I prefer sitting. Not sure.
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great compilation of information. I'll add some general singing mechanics tips later; I just finished my Music Education degree with voice as my instrument. Here are a few more general tips:

- After you have completely filled up the "pie," no more points are added to your score. Use this to your advantage by filling up the pie as early as possible, then using the end of the phrase to catch your breath, take a larger breath than normal, or lead into the first note of the next phrase. Phrases with really long note tubes are usually more vulnerable to this tactic. It really helps on I Get By.

- If you're new to a song, focus on listening to the melody and getting the notes first, words later. You're better off not confusing yourself and focusing on one thing at a time. Once you've got the hang of the melody, add the words where you're most comfortable. This doesn't apply to talky parts, obviously.

- In Vocals Solo Tour, your Overdrive will not deplete mid-phrase if the duration of time between a phrase ending and the beginning of the next phrase is greater than one measure.

(I confirmed the specific amount of time after some OD path work on Say It Ain't So. The first and last choruses of the song pause your Overdrive meter after "Your drug is a heartbreaker" but the second chorus does not. This is because the third phrase in this chorus starts a bit earlier than in the other choruses, shortening the duration of time between the second and third phrases to less than a full measure. Creep is also a good song to see this in action.)

- Use the A button on the Xbox 360 Controller for percussion sections. Just do it and save yourself frustration due to mic hardware difficulties later. ;D
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks AJay and rabies! I'll add your tips right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, listening to songs out of the game REALLY helps. Sabotage has been on my mp3 player for a year and a half now, and it's the only song i can do above easy.
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song-specific tips might help too. For example:

- "I Think I'm Paranoid": During the chorus, the high note for "par-" is the same note as the notes before and after it, so there's no need to change octaves.

- "Here It Goes Again": Don't bother trying to hit the short low notes during the chorus -- you're better off making sure the notes before and after them are solid. They're too short to make a large difference in your phrase meter.

- "Maps": During the second and third choruses, the note tubes for the low "you" in "They don't love you like I love you" and the high "Wait" that follows right after are the same note, so there's no need to change octaves.

- "Maps": This is almost not practical, but you can Awesome the entire first "Oh say say say..." section and the long "Maps" phrase of the chorus by holding the top note through the entire phrase and not changing it.

- "Welcome Home": Both times that it appears, the notes for the "longed" in "Is our love ever longed" and the "With" in "With truth on the shores of compassion" are the same note, so there's no need to change octaves.

Yeah, I found a lot of octave "cheats." =D
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
Maybe it's because my TV is low and I have to look down to see it when standing up that I prefer sitting. Not sure.

That would do it. Having your head level or tilted back is always better, as it simply opens up your air flow. I've found that some of the best times I've ever sung in my entire life have been when I've had to sit on the front row of a theater for 3 hours with my head tilted back about 90 degrees.
You should typically sing better standing up, as you can breathe more fully, though I will say I do usually sing sitting down for Rock Band. Sometimes I stand up for I Get By.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Billtvshow
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billtvshow wrote:
Nickisimo wrote:
Maybe it's because my TV is low and I have to look down to see it when standing up that I prefer sitting. Not sure.

That would do it. Having your head level or tilted back is always better, as it simply opens up your air flow. I've found that some of the best times I've ever sung in my entire life have been when I've had to sit on the front row of a theater for 3 hours with my head tilted back about 90 degrees.
You should typically sing better standing up, as you can breathe more fully, though I will say I do usually sing sitting down for Rock Band. Sometimes I stand up for I Get By.

Agreed. My tip #3 is more important than tip #2. If standing means you have to look down, it is better to sit. Would be best if you had a tv slightly elevated from eye level while you stand....but that setup is probably rare in most people's homes.

..and good tip on the 'octave cheats' ajay...i found a couple of those (especially I think I'm Paranoid) that I have been exploiting for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw out something else that seems to help me. If I'm having a lot of trouble finding out what the pitch to a given phrase is, sometimes I go on YouTube and just try to find a RB guitar or drum recording of that song(usually one with a direct feed from a capture card so you don't hear background audio) and focus on listening to the master vocal track. It sounds a lot different when you're not hearing it mixed with your own voice. A lot of times I'll hear songs and I'm like, "Wow...that's not how I sing that at all".

Then I'll just play that same piece in the video that I'm struggling with over and over, listening and humming out the pitch until I'm pretty sure I have it. That's helped me get FC's on a couple songs that I was struggling with. In WGFA, the weird "Won't Get Fooled Again" near the end of that song, the little dip and rise part I had to listen to a lot until I was confident that I knew what the note was at the end of that phrase. I guess if you had access to the actual master tracks you could just listen to those too, although not all songs in RB are masters. Most of the Highway Star recordings sound noticeably different than the RB cover, at least to me anyway.
wildbillkickoff  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Wedgie.

One general singing tip for those of us who do not have natural perfect pitch--

If you feel yourself starting to go flat, one way to raise your pitch a microtone is to raise your eyebrows. This gives your voice a brighter tone, which generally brings pitch up by about 1/8 of a tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: