FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on Doing Well in Rock Band Vocals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabies  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbillkickoff wrote:
Excellent work, Wedgie.

One general singing tip for those of us who do not have natural perfect pitch--

If you feel yourself starting to go flat, one way to raise your pitch a microtone is to raise your eyebrows. This gives your voice a brighter tone, which generally brings pitch up by about 1/8 of a tone.

...... I've never heard of this before. I'm gonna go try it. Does this work even if you are on pitch? Will you then go slightly sharp?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbillkickoff wrote:
Excellent work, Wedgie.

One general singing tip for those of us who do not have natural perfect pitch--

If you feel yourself starting to go flat, one way to raise your pitch a microtone is to raise your eyebrows. This gives your voice a brighter tone, which generally brings pitch up by about 1/8 of a tone.

Thanks! I added your tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the octave cheat subject, there are tons of them in Dani California (though i guess that's stating the obvious). That eyebrow thing does work, it's pretty funny :o
BBQchicken  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe that raising your eyebrows actually worked! thanks
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does frowning work for those who are sharp? :P

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that sort of singing the talky parts in the tonic note helps as well. I have noticed this in a few songs, but I now prefer to "rub out the phrase" now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: UncleGummers
CowShark  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I notice that my pitch arrow is just barely off of the note that I'm supposed to be on (and it's a long enough note to do this), I'll just make different shapes with my mouth rather than try to alter my pitch from my vocal chords. This is like the eyebrow thing, but without the eyebrows.

O shape or just opening really wide gets me a touch lower.

E (well, the shape of your mouth when you make the letter E) shape or just tightening the lips gets me a touch higher.
duo797  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify why it's better to stand than sit when you're singing, when you're sitting you're compressing the amount of space you have available in your chest cavity. Slouching is actually detrimental to just about every brass and woodwind instrument along with vocals. If you're standing up, or at least sitting upright, you have more room to fill up your lungs with air, so you can sustain notes longer and provide the air necessary to hit higher notes.

That's the core reason that music teachers throughout secondary education levels constantly (or should, anyways) harp on students for poor posture. Tone and lung capacity improve if you're sitting correctly (or standing, for that matter).
Joe857  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if you pull the mic further away from yourself than you normally sing, i makes the talky parts a lot easier. Also, emphasize each individual sound; for example, if you're saying "that", make sure you say "ah" and make the "tuh" sound at the end.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duo797 wrote:
Just to clarify why it's better to stand than sit when you're singing, when you're sitting you're compressing the amount of space you have available in your chest cavity. Slouching is actually detrimental to just about every brass and woodwind instrument along with vocals. If you're standing up, or at least sitting upright, you have more room to fill up your lungs with air, so you can sustain notes longer and provide the air necessary to hit higher notes.

That's the core reason that music teachers throughout secondary education levels constantly (or should, anyways) harp on students for poor posture. Tone and lung capacity improve if you're sitting correctly (or standing, for that matter).

Thanks! I'll add that in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people notice that singing higher, or with a falsetto helps. Allow me to clarify, from an acoustical POV. It's very simple, actually. Our brains are naturally more sensitive to pitch in a higher register than a lower register.

Here's an example: It's a lot easier to hear when an instrument like an oboe or flute is out of tune than it is to hear when an instrument like a tuba is out of tune because of their registers.

It's just the way our ears and brains work with one another. So if you can comfortably sing any part up an octave and, chances are, your pitch will be better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:
Many people notice that singing higher, or with a falsetto helps. Allow me to clarify, from an acoustical POV. It's very simple, actually. Our brains are naturally more sensitive to pitch in a higher register than a lower register.

This is part of the issue, but a bigger problem (for me at least) is that the mic is really bad at picking up my voice at lower registers. As I bring my pitch down, the arrow starts to flicker and then disappear altogether. Singing louder help some, but not much, and upping the sensitivity doesn't really help at all.
Joe857  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
BizCasFri wrote:

This is part of the issue, but a bigger problem (for me at least) is that the mic is really bad at picking up my voice at lower registers. As I bring my pitch down, the arrow starts to flicker and then disappear altogether. Singing louder help some, but not much, and upping the sensitivity doesn't really help at all.

(sorry for the quote pyramid)

This is normally because you force more air out of your diaphragm when you sing higher pitched, especially out of your comfort zone. When you drop below your comfort zone your voice gets a lot quieter.
LUIGI074  

Location: I'm everywhere. That's what happens when you're a geek XD.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this, but if you're not feeling well, especially when you have a cold or sore throat, don't sing. It'll just make your voice in worse condition. Wait until you've recovered before singing again.

Also, if you still don't like standing and singing and want to sit down and sing, make sure you are sitting up straight with your feet flat on the floor. While this helps, it is still advisable that you stand and sing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious why alcohol is bad for your voice? I just completed the endless set while drinking beers between songs and during breaks. I did notice my vocal scores going down towards the end, but I figured it was because of fatigue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: