FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Expert Drums vs. Real Drums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfitzsimon  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should set up their real drum set infront of an expert song in Rock Band and lets hear it. Only play the notes in the game!
nfamouswun  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfitzsimon wrote:
someone should set up their real drum set infront of an expert song in Rock Band and lets hear it. Only play the notes in the game!

oooooo i think im gonna do this soon.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfamouswun wrote:
jonfitzsimon wrote:

oooooo i think im gonna do this soon.
I wonder if it would be possible to disassemble the RB kit and attach the sensors to some real drums..it would be a lot more fun.
saxuallyAPeasing  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out an electronic drum kit at Sam Ash last night, and I have to say that Rock Band has been both a blessing and a curse. While expert has helped me hone my coordination, my left foot is at Level 0 right now. And while (with a little common sense about the individual drums) Rock Band has taught me different beats, it's a bitch to keep time without scrolling notes and other things in the background, especially with complicated beats. Also, it's way too easy to over-drum because the RB set has such little bounce. Stuff like that is just a matter of getting used to the hardware, though.

I didn't get to try acoustic, though, which is the only acceptable way to rock out on drums.

1. Toxicity - System of a Down (now impossible?)
2. Paradise Lost - Symphony X
3. Octavarium - Dream Theater
4. Train of Thought - Dream Theater
5. You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand
ChrisVance  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and No.

Rock Band drums do one thing. They teach you the competence of rhythm. They teach you dexterity with 2 hands and (ONE) foot. They teach you ultimately how to barely float nose above water.

I am not a drummer, at all. But I have 5 star'd every song in the game minus RTTH and Blackend on Expert. And I can not still sit down on a kit with music playing and jam a steady beat.

Rock Band does not teach you: How to properly use your wrists to bounce sticks (because the plastic just has non bounce), Hi-Hat Control, Velocities, and due to the large note-hit window on the kick pedal, it's leniancy dosn't teach you how to keep a steady beat with your foot.

Most importantly the hardware is not as responsive as an accoustic kit, let alone a cheap midi-drum kit.

Essentially what I'm saying is, It's kinda like the real thing, but light years apart.

However, I will say this. If you're already are a GOOD drummer (AND PLAY RHYTHM GAMES) , you can tear this game a new one cuz it's so easy it can be a joke.

If you havn't played rhythm games and are a drummer, you may not be as good if you cant read gems coming down a highway at you very well.

However, like said by others in previous posts, it's a great tool to gauge your interest and ability to perform if you decide to go out and buy a kit and learn f0r r34lz. And over all, RB is my second favorite game to play right now, under GH3. I may not be a real drummer... but I still love playing teh plastic ones
canoshiz  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna see the worst Rock Band-related video ever?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGIDrC7ER4

This should answer the OP's question.
Freequebec86  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 star all on Expert and can't play on real drum.... Hard to believe....

And if you talk about "Jammin", with friends. You should be able to do it.
Useless you dont have imagination lol.
Annihil8or  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canoshiz wrote:

haha, that guy is playing a tom when it's supposed to be ride cymbal... and he said he's playing the hard drum part.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to disassemble the RB kit and attach the sensors to some real drums..it would be a lot more fun.

http://www.otronicon.org/InDash_Display.aspx?PGID=440

Step by step instructions. That's about as sweet as it gets. That 17" monitor in your face is a double bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annihil8or wrote:
canoshiz wrote:

haha, that guy is playing a tom when it's supposed to be ride cymbal... and he said he's playing the hard drum part.

Honestly, I think I may have just died a little on the inside from watching that. Every strike on those drums is another year docked from my life.
Roflcopterrr  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is pretty close to the real thing if you want to train, but they really need to work on the bass pedal.. it is way too stiff.
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkai wrote:
Annihil8or wrote:
canoshiz wrote:

Honestly, I think I may have just died a little on the inside from watching that. Every strike on those drums is another year docked from my life.

I don't know jack shit about drums and I'm only halfway thru Hard, but jeez, i think the vid program shouldve stopped filming automatically 2 mins in, why does it have to go on for 6? Wow. Anyone bother to tell this guy there's more than 5 drums in a kit?
Protein
Sev

LISTEN TO THEM AND SPREAD THE WORD!

(Dream Theater is still the best band ever)
dreamaddict  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once at a friend's place, I put Won't Get Fooled Again on practice (drums), and picked the Organ Solo. At 50% you get a bout a couple of minutes of drum free play per loop. When you do this you can definitely see that the game is quite lenient on timing, especially on the bass pedal like ChrisVance said, because if you try and keep a beat yourself, it sounds like ass.

So what I do to try and counteract that is to practice keeping it in time anyways. Like, try and get the bass pedal to be on time during drum fills/intros. Make drum fills that stay ON RHYTHM with the song. Try not to creep faster/slower during the main groove of the song. At least pretend like these things matter on the game. I can only hope it helps somewhat when I get my hands on a real drum kit and start learning how that works. But yep, the hi-hat pedal is a whole other story.

Sig picture brought to you by GuitarHailzā„¢
BurntOut  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I would be careful. You can learn some basic three-way coordination from it, but time, creativity, groove, four-way coordination and rudimental technique all go to the shitter. And those are all pretty important things for any drummer.

One thing is for sure though, it's easy for a drummer to tear the game apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: