FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
S8 - RB - Drums - Hard Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heddon2  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drop leagues sadly because my bass pedal is about 3 hours worth of playtime away from braking. Im going to have to mod it and hopefully get in next season.
laconic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakinalex wrote:
Well, I guess this week will encourage me to learn to pass Next To You...

Last week was the first time I 5* DoA or even got close, so who knows what could happen.

Same here, I 5*'ed DOA once, I think it was Tuesday, nothing but 4 stars after that. Though I can pass Next to You about one in every 5 attempts.

At least from the way this thread reads, hard drums seems to be a pretty even division.
jerridthomas79  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

I completely f'kd up my Reptillia score - so, instead of 5th on that song, i was just about last....

way to go me - dumbass. i had 162,000, not 16,200....well my punishment is to get two wisdom teeth pulled in 12 hours. super.

Visit www.rockoutproductions.com to see what all the buzz is about
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Jerrid DOMN8R
Chucklestyle  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcphantom wrote:
I decided to throw my hat in this ring today at the last minute. I hope I didn't under-place myself. There are still quite a few songs I can't pass on expert.

It'll be funny if I end up in the playoffs agaisnt you again...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Chucklestyle
Serges  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressed with the competition in this league. I thought my scores were probably going to be 1sts based on the leaderboards at the time, but it turns out I didn't place higher than second on anything.

Looks like I'm going to have to step it up to keep ahead of you guys

The only downside to hosting Rock Band competitions is not being able to enter them...
WiseOldUnicorn  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Next to You. Seriously. Fuck it. I refuse to play it more times than necessary to pass, so I'm just using the shitty score I got today and settling for being dead last on that one.

Rock on, Pufferbutt! \m/ O_o \m/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: WiseOldUnicorn PSN Name: WiseOldUnicorn
galaxyy  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its kind of lame how some of your are clearly regular expert players, yet you joined the hard division. I know they were open sign-ups, but I was hoping to play against other people that regularly play the game on hard. Oh well, at least its pushing me harder...
raunch99  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaxyy wrote:
I think its kind of lame how some of your are clearly regular expert players, yet you joined the hard division. I know they were open sign-ups, but I was hoping to play against other people that regularly play the game on hard. Oh well, at least its pushing me harder...

There's quite a few people who are pretty good at hard, but still struggle to pass many expert songs. Or in many cases are just barely able to squeak by getting a 3* score. For people like this (I'd throw my hat into this category), they didn't want to join expert and get smoked by all the really good expert players or end up playing songs that they couldn't even pass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the week 1 points-leader, I'm going to assume that I'm one of the (who knows how many) players being "indicted" with this statement, so I'm going to respond as such...

Quote:

"Clearly regular expert players"-- by this I assume you mean people who more often than not play on expert as opposed to another difficulty. I'd say I play expert about 25% of the time, not frequently at all in the last month, and typically only in groups when I KNOW I can pass the song.

"I know they were open sign-ups"-- this statement basically defeats the purpose of your entire post. They were open for a reason. If the league admins saw a massive problem, I'm sure they would have either split the hard division or bumped some players up accordingly, as they've done in the past.

"I was hoping to play against other people who regularly play the game on hard"-- I think what you really meant here was people whose skill level is best defined as "hard" i.e. you didn't want to join a league where people had the capability to 99/100% songs (because if they can, they MUST be able to play well on expert, right? right?[faulty premise]). I find it sort of insulting frankly that even though I am best defined as a person who regularly plays the game on hard, you don't seem to judge me similarly to someone else who plays the same game in the same manner. Wouldn't you be insulted if I came out and implied that some of the lower-scoring members of this league belonged in Medium? Of course you would. On another note, there are 88 players in this league. Unless you are of the opinion that everyone above you should move to expert and everyone below you should move to medium, you ARE playing against people who regularly play the game on hard. Give them the respect of not self-righteously judging their worthiness to compete on your level.

"Oh well, at least it's pushing me harder"-- I'm glad you ended with this for 2 reasons. It means 1) you are ultimately in this league to better yourself, which is a noble goal, and (ironically) best served by having a higher standard to compare and strive for. 2) It also means that you are not purely internet-whining in your post. For that I give you credit.

I'd group myself in with raunch99's post about being pretty good on hard but laughable on expert. If I had beaten drums on expert, why WOULD I want to be in a league that was "beneath" me? What's the sense of accomplishment in that? Give your competition some credit in the future please, and good luck to you in the weeks to come. Hopefully you'll come out of this season a better drummer than you were going in. That's the real goal, right?

The only downside to hosting Rock Band competitions is not being able to enter them...
laconic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the expert division standings? I mean seriously, 83% is the lowest "Next to You" hit percentage.

I know I'm not one of the ones being talked about, but there's no way I can even come close to those scores. And I'm not too far off from being good on hard.

Last edited by laconic on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
jerridthomas79  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^well said.

I assume i am one of these referred to, despite my stupidity of posting a 16,200 score for reptillia (obvious typo).

I am going out on a limb saying this is a first time (or close to it) league experience for this person claiming we should be in expert.
This is Rockband League 1. Hasn't been done before. Being in GH leagues for 6 seasons, things were always being tweeked. They ended up taking people in say expert and then breaking down into Expert AAA, AA, A >> then even further AAA1 AAA2, A1, A2, A3...

Maybe this will happen here, who knows. Sometimes you're just not going to be the best, and you should not let that bother you. I was always finding myself in the middle of the pack in past leagues, Barely making the playoffs, and was ALWAYS eliminated in the first round.

For this case, I play on Hard 90-95% of the time. I have played through Expert for career, but struggled pretty good, stuck on Reaper right now. Sometimes I feel I'm really in the zone, and will try some songs on expert, but choose to play Hard. I feel like I should be able to FC every song, and like working towards that goal.

League always makes you better, it forces you to focus on songs, and the competition makes you keep going for even the smallest of point increases, and makes you learn to get past troublesome spots, helping your overall skill.

I never complained, and don't feel anyone else should either. Someone has to be the champ, and if you know it's not going to be you, then stop taking it so serious and start having some fun with this.

Personally, my goal IS to win (unless we play Outside and Next to You in the playoffs >> then I am toast) - but mostly to just have fun, get to know others at my skill level, and improve my FC count

Visit www.rockoutproductions.com to see what all the buzz is about
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Jerrid DOMN8R
Chucklestyle  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I know for a fact that last time I played league play I came out much better at the game, and I'm hoping to accomplish the same here, and maybe it will help me massage the skills I need to be able to actually get through the songs on expert that are trouncing me.

So I guess you could say I came in knowing I most likely wouldn't win but would definitely improve. If you're not here for that (and more importantly TO HAVE FUN) then I don't see the point.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Chucklestyle
galaxyy  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, obviously I had misinterpreted people scores (with respect their skill). I thought that 4 FCs (or near) equals regular expert player - I will take you at your word and admit I was wrong on that assumption.

Quote:
I know they were open sign-ups-- this statement basically defeats the purpose of your entire post.
When I said that, it was to prevent people from saying "i can do what I want in an open league so f off". While this statement is obviously true, and I accept that - the point of the post was to say: In my opinion, the scores posted for hard drums reflected that of players who are not of the "hard drums" skill.

Now I FULLY understand choosing a skill level for which you will be more competitive in. I also would much rather play in hard than be in the bottom 20% of expert (personally I'd prob be in the bottom 5% lol). Where I went wrong was that I assumed that the top few people getting scores (ie FCs) would have been at least average in the expert league. Again i'll take your word for it that you would be in the bottom half of the expert league - but put yourself in my shoes. What would you think?

Quote:
Wouldn't you be insulted if I came out and implied that some of the lower-scoring members of this league belonged in Medium? Of course you would.
To be completely honest, if I was in the bottom 10% of the league, I would drop down to medium as I am clearly not ready for the hard league.

Quote:
Give them the respect of not self-righteously judging their worthiness to compete on your level.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. It's not about respect, it's about fun. Would it be fun for you to be in the bottom 20% of expert? No, so you chose hard. The problem here is that there needs to be further division in the leagues as the gap between the top 10% and the bottom 10% is VERY large.

Quote:
Give your competition some credit in the future please
How can you say this, when at the same time I was saying you were freaking awesome and should be in expert? Anyways - that stuff is besides the point...

ps thanks for noticing and recognizing that I wasn't just crying because I was in the middle of the pack. I am just playing the leagues for fun, I just don't feel like I should have to FC most of the song in order to be competitive in the hard league.
WiseOldUnicorn  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaxyy wrote:
The problem here is that there needs to be further division in the leagues as the gap between the top 10% and the bottom 10% is VERY large.

I've gotta agree with that, but keep in mind this is the first time they've done a Rock Band league. If I'm remembering correctly, I think I read that for the next one, they're planning on having it be more like the GH3 league, with people being put in seperate divisions according to skill. They just don't really have the knowledge/means to do that at this point in time.

So, eventually they'll have that problem of which you speak fixed. But for now, for the first RB league, we just have to grin and bear it.

Rock on, Pufferbutt! \m/ O_o \m/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: WiseOldUnicorn PSN Name: WiseOldUnicorn
galaxyy  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseOldUnicorn wrote:
we just have to grin and bear it.

I'm cool with that (back to practicing, i'm going to get killed in week 2, i haven't even unlocked the last tier of hard songs...)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: