FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Expert Drums vs. Real Drums
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Expert Drums vs. Real Drums Reply with quote

I remember in the hype leading up to the game release one of the Harmonix guys said that playing the drum parts on the higher difficulties was more or less playing drums.

My question is to anyone who actually drums. How would you compare the toughest charts in the game on expert to actual drumming? Also how much actual drumming experience do you have, just for context. If someone can 5* every song in Rock Band how far are they from being able to play actual drums with any level of competence?

I got curious about this because in "Wanted Dead or Alive", which is one of the easiest songs in Expert, there is an audible drum roll near the first chorus that is not on the chart. Now it's hardly as if this song is so tough it couldn't have used the drum roll. So it seems like some of the songs might be dumbed down from the actual part.

Thanks in advance!
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty damn close. The same things I have trouble with in real life, I have issues with in this game.

The only difference is that I rarely have to RMA a real set.
laconic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Expert Drums vs. Real Drums Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
...I got curious about this because in "Wanted Dead or Alive", which is one of the easiest songs in Expert, there is an audible drum roll near the first chorus that is not on the chart. Now it's hardly as if this song is so tough it couldn't have used the drum roll. So it seems like some of the songs might be dumbed down from the actual part...

Most likely it was removed to keep it in line with the rest the "Warmup Songs".

I'm not a real drummer, yet. The game seems like a pretty good primer to real drums. It helps you to play faster, gain endurance, seperate limbs, focus timing, etc.
AvoidTheNoid  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have been playing percussion overall for about 11 years...drum set on and off for about 8 or so...i'm by no means an incredible drummer - mainly because none of my good friends really played much music, so i never had a dedicated group of people to play with on a regular basis to practice - but i think i'm pretty solid...i think rock band can be a great tool for teaching the ability to keep a steady rhythm, hand and foot independence, etc...and can be a good indicator for someone to judge whether or not they would like to play real drums, instead of just going out and buying a set, play on rock band a little while and see if you enjoy it...i would say that most of the harder charts are very similar to playing the actual drum parts...the first couple of songs i played, i had a little trouble adjusting to trying to read the notes as they came and figure out what pads they corresponded to, so i just tried not to focus on that as much, but instead just play as i would if i was at a regular drum set, and that made it much easier for me to start out with, especially on songs with irregular drum beats, like tom sawyer, etc...so i would say it is fairly similar to real drums, the biggest difference i see is the proximity and size of the pads...on a real drumset, the toms and snare are gonna be in the 10-18 inch range, and cymbals from 14-20 usually, and they're spread out over a much bigger area, so while someone playing on expert with no real drum set experience may have the necessary rhythmical skills to play the drum parts, it would probably take a little adjusting to get used to everything being bigger and spread out further, but if they're 5*ing everything on expert, it probably wouldn't be too difficult of a transition, imo...i think they're overall pretty similar, and that's why i enjoy it so much...i wouldn't like it if it was nothing like playing the real thing...

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me!"
WVUMountaineers  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvoidTheNoid wrote:
well, i have been playing percussion overall for about 11 years...drum set on and off for about 8 or so...i'm by no means an incredible drummer - mainly because none of my good friends really played much music, so i never had a dedicated group of people to play with on a regular basis to practice - but i think i'm pretty solid...i think rock band can be a great tool for teaching the ability to keep a steady rhythm, hand and foot independence, etc...and can be a good indicator for someone to judge whether or not they would like to play real drums, instead of just going out and buying a set, play on rock band a little while and see if you enjoy it...i would say that most of the harder charts are very similar to playing the actual drum parts...the first couple of songs i played, i had a little trouble adjusting to trying to read the notes as they came and figure out what pads they corresponded to, so i just tried not to focus on that as much, but instead just play as i would if i was at a regular drum set, and that made it much easier for me to start out with, especially on songs with irregular drum beats, like tom sawyer, etc...so i would say it is fairly similar to real drums, the biggest difference i see is the proximity and size of the pads...on a real drumset, the toms and snare are gonna be in the 10-18 inch range, and cymbals from 14-20 usually, and they're spread out over a much bigger area, so while someone playing on expert with no real drum set experience may have the necessary rhythmical skills to play the drum parts, it would probably take a little adjusting to get used to everything being bigger and spread out further, but if they're 5*ing everything on expert, it probably wouldn't be too difficult of a transition, imo...i think they're overall pretty similar, and that's why i enjoy it so much...i wouldn't like it if it was nothing like playing the real thing...

So a priest and a rabi walk into a wall of text...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MitRialb
sideshow  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba-dum-tish

(it is a drumming thread...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WVUMountaineers wrote:
AvoidTheNoid wrote:

If you unfocus your eyes, you can see a sailboat.
lilsushi  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive been drumin for 2 years now.. and i have to say some parts especially fast rolls are either dumbed down to 1 note or just consistant notes not as fast. but genrally RB drums wont master real drums for you but it will defenantly help with co-ordination and maybe teach you the first few basic beats but nothing beyond that IMO
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, Rock Band is a good training tool, but not much more?
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
n4sc4r  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much, it is for training. I'm pretty much the only one in my family whomc an even play them.
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expert charts are very close to the real song, just spread across 4 pads and one pedal instead. It's definitely good training to get started, but it won't teach you everything about the drums. It will give you a solid foundation though, which is way more than you get from mastering a plastic guitar with one string and five frets.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
lordryan29  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience playing the actual drums, it seems like the note charts aren't exaclty what you would have to hit on a real drum kit (obviously...) however I think after some tinkering aroud, the chart is close enough that you can acctually play the song.
"It presently learns, that, since the dawn of history, there has been a constant accumulation and classifying of facts. But what is classification but the perceiving that these objects are not chaotic, and are not foreign, but have a law which is also a law of the human mind?"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: lordryan29
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spekkio wrote:
WVUMountaineers wrote:
AvoidTheNoid wrote:

If you unfocus your eyes, you can see a sailboat.

Ha ha ha ha. You dumb bastard. It's not a Sailboat... it's a schooner!

Pcowperthwaite  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band would be okay training for rudiments maybe but it will teach you zero left foot independence which is what Separates the Meg Whites from the John Bonhams.

Gurn wrote:

gonna go whack to some gay pr0n before bed
ArchaeoJohn  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the 'good training tool' statement.

RB will definitely teach you the basics, although you'll have to modify your set to get it closer to a real kit (reed switch mod, gum rubber pads, etc.).

Some of the things that RB won't teach you: double bass rolls, hi-hat coordination (open/closed/loose/tight), manipulating the sound of your drums (crescendo, rim shots, etc.), and the ability to play your set hard and heavy, which is one of the best feelings ever.

On the flip side, RB is obviously a lot of fun for drummers (when the drumkit works, that is). It provides very challenging riffs on expert, and a great song selection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: