FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Any interest in reviving the Vocal Gold Star cutoff project?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Any interest in reviving the Vocal Gold Star cutoff project? Reply with quote

Right. I ramble too much, so let's do this in two versions.

================================

The EASY READ Version:

I wanna revive the "Vocal Gold Star cutoff" project, much like I've been keeping up-to-date on in Guitar/Bass.

With accurate 5* cutoffs we can get very close 5GS cutoffs, because I've confirmed the approximate multiplier.

But I can't sing, so I'd need people willing to determine those 5* cutoffs to get this project off the ground.

If a few people have interest in it, I'll whip up a beta list (with scores that may be WAY off) and we can go from there.

================================

The WALL of TEXT version:

Seeing as I "run" the Guitar/Bass Gold Star cutoffs and apparently enjoy wasting my time determining numbers and not actually getting high scores , a couple people have asked me if I want to maintain a similar list for Vocals.

It's a whole different can of worms than Guitar/Bass, though, due to the large increases in score from segment to segment and the fact that I can't sing worth a damn to determine these scores myself.

Not too many people showed interest in the current Vocals topic, so I'm afraid another one would be met with similar disinterest. But if I can find a few people willing to determine some reasonably accurate 5* scores (I don't need Gold Stars, just the 5 Star will do), I think we could make this work.

Because after wasting TWO HOURS of my life on Blitzkrieg Bop, I've got the formula pretty close:

5* : 86,175 - 86,262
5GS : 130,973 - 131,360
Which gives a multiplier somewhere between 1.5183 - 1.5213.

Logically, all roads lead to "the programmers were lazy" and used the same formula (1.5195) for all instruments except for drums, where they had to use a lower one to make up for the notes lost from the drum fills.

So now that we know the approximate "Rule of 1.52" applies here, it should be easy to get those cutoffs, right?

... no. Consider this scenario:
You have 42,000 points and a 8x (overdrive) multiplier on a song.
The song's true 5* cutoff is 43,000.
You do the next phrase perfectly, get 1,000 (x8).
Score jumps to 50,000, you hear a "ding" and see the fifth star.
You think, "Okay, that's easy enough to calculate. 50,000 x 1.52 = 76,000."
Where as the REAL cutoff would be 43,000 x 1.52 = 65,360 ... over TEN THOUSAND points lower.

And those stupid multi-thousand point jumps are the reason why getting cutoffs even to within 1,000 point of the true range is going to be a BITCH. Unless I find people as crazy as I am, willing to deliberately sabotage their scores and multipliers to determine accurate 5* cutoffs (and from them, the 5GS ones), it's pretty much an impossible project.

Damned if I'm not willing to try, though. But I'll need a "few good voices" to get the job done. I fail out in "In Bloom" in less than a minute when I try that.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll help with this. I just plain like to sing so this sounds like a fun project.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds difficult, but I might give it a try on a short song and see what I can come up with.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go and help you with some of the easier songs since I'm just starting vox on Expert (PS2 BTW).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
pvtGramps  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lot of the stuff at 4*'s, so why not? Here's what I've got at 5* and Gold starred:

Main List:
Ballroom Blitz: 280,500~ Gold Star. I think on the main forums this one's listed as 275kish

Enter Sandman: 122,378 5*.

Flirtin' With Disaster: 154,166, 5*

Bonus:
29 Fingers: 75,414, 5*

DLC:
Sprode: 143,266, 5*
Wonderwall: 136,748, 5*
TheNewsAndHueyL  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread on the official forums with some Vocal Gold Star points if that is of any help:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15029
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help out all I can. Heres the gold stars I have.

Vasoline- 112,364 100%

Are You Gonna Be My Girl- 185,384 GS 98% 22 PS

Flirtin' With Disaster- 200,033 GS 99% 29 PS

Tom Sawyer- 183,575 GS 97% 13 PS

Blitzkrieg Bop- 136,980 GS 100%

Paranoid- 117,644 GS 100%

Creep- 186,420 GS 100%

Dani California- 231218 GS 99% 43 PS (EPIC PHAIL)

Maps- 150,107 GS 100%

Pleasure (Pleasure)- 148,598 GS 100%

Last edited by cdylan13 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:
Vasoline- 112,364 GS 100%

You gold starred Vasoline? I didn't think that was possible - unless maybe you're playing on the PS2? The Gold Star cutoffs are about 10% lower on there for all instruments, which makes the impossible possible ...

Over 117,000 points isn't enough to do it on the PS3 or 360 ... mathematically, the cutoff is at least 124K, and that's way out of the range of possible scoring for it.

The thing that makes this project a pain is that a list of "end of song" 5* or Gold Star scores only goes so far.

The best way to get accurate cutoffs is to hit 5*, preferably with only a 1x multiplier at the time, and then either quickly jot your score down and/or deliberately fail out of the song. Either way, it's that "score just at the point 5* is reached" that is needed. The more people that do that, the closer we can get the cutoffs.

... which is why few people would want to bother. What's the fun in deliberately FAILING a song, unless you're a number-cruncher like myself?
pvtGramps  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nailed 5-star Gold for When You Were Young: 110k.

Pausing is the best way to do it. So's using the extra hand we've got to jot down while continuing.
mr-apples  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Cutoffs seem a lot less necessary for vocals compared to guitar/drums.

Since a vocalist inherantly has fewer phrases to work with, one can very nearly equate a gold star with a song FC or a high scoring -1 run. (Obviously there are exceptions)

What I guess I am getting at, is that I see less of a reason for cutoffs if the gold star strategy for every single song is "FC the song with reasonable overdrive usage"
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a point. The thousand point score chunks in Vocals make it much harder to find exact cut-offs than the other instruments.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
cdylan13 wrote:
Vasoline- 112,364 GS 100%

You gold starred Vasoline? I didn't think that was possible - unless maybe you're playing on the PS2? The Gold Star cutoffs are about 10% lower on there for all instruments, which makes the impossible possible ...

Over 117,000 points isn't enough to do it on the PS3 or 360 ... mathematically, the cutoff is at least 124K, and that's way out of the range of possible scoring for it.

The thing that makes this project a pain is that a list of "end of song" 5* or Gold Star scores only goes so far.

The best way to get accurate cutoffs is to hit 5*, preferably with only a 1x multiplier at the time, and then either quickly jot your score down and/or deliberately fail out of the song. Either way, it's that "score just at the point 5* is reached" that is needed. The more people that do that, the closer we can get the cutoffs.

... which is why few people would want to bother. What's the fun in deliberately FAILING a song, unless you're a number-cruncher like myself?

sorry i didn't... mistake
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-apples wrote:
I don't know. Cutoffs seem a lot less necessary for vocals compared to guitar/drums.

Agreed. Logically, there's not much of a reason for them. You break combo somewhere in the middle, you can kiss the stars goodbye unless there's a ton of overdrive to play with or a bunch of short phrases to use overdrive with in succession.

Maybe if the scoring system was different (IE - you had to sing perfect on EVERY section of a phrase to fill the song meter, but you'd get credit and keep your combo at 75% or higher), they'd be more useful, since there would be more variety in the Full Combo scores.

In the end, it's just the way I play the game, I guess. Some people to milk the most possible points out of a song and try to get high scores, I play to decipher the logic behind the game and its scoring system.

Tackling BAND 5GS scores would be a more useful project, but none of my friends around here are Expert level even on Bass, so that kills THAT idea. I wouldn't even know where to *begin* to try to calculate the additional modifier on THAT ...
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like this is one situation especially where it would be much easier to figure out the cutoffs from the base scores, since the base scores are so easy to determine. The real question is how tambourine hits figure into the whole deal. I did some quick math and came up with a system that seems to work for the few cases I've checked thus far. Hopefully tomorrow I wil have time to compile an entire list of cutoffs using it and see how it stands up to scrutiny, but here is the basic rundown for now.

I'll just include numbers within +/- 0.01 for now, hopefully to be narrowed down later.

x Star Cutoff Formula
Code:
mnd + 25st
where    m = (x = 6 | 4.68;
              x = 5 | 3.08;
              x = 4 | 1.87;
              x = 3 | 0.77;
              x = 2 | 0.47;
              x = 1 | 0.21)
         n is the number of phrases in the song
         t is the the number of tambourine hits in the song
         d = 1000 on expert, 800 hard, 400 medium, 200 easy
         s = max(x, 5)

So it takes the base score for the vocal phrases, multiplies it according to the cutoff we're calculating for, then adds some multiple of the tambourine hits (maxing out at 125 per hit, as that's the max score on them without using overdrive for some of them).

Also note that the m values for the 1, 2, and 3 star cutoffs may be more inaccurate than the others. I didn't put much effort into them.

Also, there's a good chance things are different on the PS2 version (even beyond the normal difference), since tambourine hits benefit from your multiplier on it.
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
Also, there's a good chance things are different on the PS2 version (even beyond the normal difference), since tambourine hits benefit from your multiplier on it.

Heh. Now THERE'S a fun fact I never knew. That wacky PS2 version. Why does it almost feel like two separate teams were working on the versions, following a guideline of "do this," and each side took certain creative liberties that weren't in the script when it came to the scoring system?

The tambourine, as I affectionately refer to as the "Cowbell Factor," is what made me give up on finding a formula based off of just using the EASY 5* cutoffs (a lot easier to do precisely) and multiply by five.

Worked fine on Blitzkrieg Bop (no Cowbell). But with Maps and its ~90 hits, the numbers were so far off that my estimated 5* for Maps was actually HIGHER than its 5GS rating!

I'll gladly pass the torch to finding a viable way around the Cowbell Factor to you on this one. Props if you pull it off - even *my* voice can get a base score on most songs before failing out, and I'd be bored enough to do that on all songs to reasonable precision if we had a working formula for it ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: