FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
10/12 DLC: TOWNS and ARXX ft. Pillow Queens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:05 am    Post subject: 10/12 DLC: TOWNS and ARXX ft. Pillow Queens Reply with quote

ARXX_10_12_DLC_twitter6598.png
Harmonix wrote:
ARXX ft. Pillow Queens Call Me Crazy and TOWNS Season 5 (Break My Fall) are two sides of the same coin: infectious, hook-heavy, punk-influenced rock emotional, lyrical heft. Grab both of these scorchers Thursday in the Rock Band Music Store!

Alt-rock/garage duo ARXX delivered a powerfully compelling single with Call Me Crazy from their 2023 debut album Ride Or Die. On this infectious, uplifting track, the Brighton-based duo (Brighton, UK; not Brighton, the neighborhood of Boston) are joined by frequent tour-mates, Irish quartet Pillow Queens whose singers Sarah Corcoran and Pamela Connolly provide rich vocal harmonies that really elevate the song. Not that the composition was in particular need of elevation as its a gutsy, hooky pop anthem that deftly and bravely explores the broad topic of mental health struggles.

"'Call Me Crazy' is a happy sad ballad about mental health that will pull at your heartstrings and get you dancing all at the same time," ARXX shared in advance of the singles release. "It feels like the perfect song to team up with Pillow Queens on, [as] they're great friends of ours and when you're struggling with mental health, friends make everything better. Their voices and instrumentation on the track adds a new dimension to the song, helping it to evolve into a really special moment of shared experiences that make it feel like a conversation with your best friend.

Beginning with singer/guitarist Hanni Pidduck singing over a quiet, palm-muted guitar progression supported by drummer Clara Townsends spare, yet authoritative beat, the arrangement allows the direct, candid lyrics to take center-stage. At :51, ARXX opens up the sonic space, adding sparking, wobbly synth to uplifting effect in what serves as the first chorus. When we reach the 1:20 point, the girls return to a more syncopated version of the first verse but now with the additional angelic voices of their friends in Pillow Queens (and presumably its lead guitarist Cathy McGuiness and drummer Rachel Lyons providing additional six-string and percussive flourishes, further enhancing the presentation). After the second go-round of the refrain, at 2:11, we reach an entirely new part of Call Me Crazy a break defined by call-and-response vocals. By the time of the third chorus (2:37) its layer upon layer of soothing, gorgeous singing from each one of the capable vocalists. The soaring crescendo reaches its apex at the 3:15 point before quite abruptly all instrumentation and backing vox are pulled away, leaving just Pidduck repeating the heartbreaking, but simultaneously brave and cathartic lyrics that began the song. This track pulls no punches and you *will* understand the topics ARXX is boldly confronting.

All in all, Call Me Crazy is a prime example of upbeat punk spirit married to radio-friendly production. If youve not yet had the pleasure of listening to this cleverly arranged, gorgeously delivered modern-day triumph, welcome the next addition to your go-to playlist!

Chiming, slightly distorted guitar strumming kicks off Season 5 (Break My Fall), the 2022 single from Adelaide, Australia duo TOWNS and it really only takes those first four seconds to realize were going to be taking a nostalgic, 90s-tinted trip down memory lane (for some; for others, this track can serve as a satisfyingly fuzzy and hook-laden introduction to this type of music).

When full instrumentation kicks in, Season 5 (Break My Fall) is instantly radiant and charismatic sing-along perfection. The twin, harmonized vocal powers of Aston Valladares (guitar, bass, synth, vocals) and Dan Steinert (drums, synth, vocals) are in many ways the standout feature of the recording super catchy, inviting, and immediate but thats not to take away from any of the other impressive skills on display. Steinerts stick-work is bouncy and tight, but also suggestive of a potential to go off the rails, while Valladares playing is confident and precise, while still somehow conveying a just-beneath-the-surface potential for mayhem. Indeed, the tension between danger and vulnerability is the crux of Season 5 (Break My Fall).

Really the beauty of the song is whats under the hood, as the twosome retrofit each component of the song riff, verse, pre-chorus, chorus every time they come around again. Verses dont have the same length each time and every refrain is delivered differently, landing more strongly than the time before. Its these tiny choices in Season 5 (Break My Fall) that keep things consistently interesting. Case in point, the breakdown at 2:02 is a surprising quiet/loud interlude that comes out of left field and then segues into a barely audible, acoustic-guitar driven reimagining of the chorus at the 2:22 point that subtly builds until, at 2:40, Steinerts snare sounds out like cannon-fire and we get a full potency delivery of the refrain. This is then followed by an outro defined by the duo singing nah nah nah over a revision of the earlier middle-eight section (because why not?) until the track comes to a close at 3:14.

Vulnerability and sentimentality is palpable throughout and in a very pleasing way! The duo say that the cut is, about nostalgia; a song about understanding that you are growing up and there is a gap developing between where you are now and your youth, but also realizing there is a gap between now and what an adult life should be like.

The level of care and thought that was put into Season 5 (Break My Fall) is what gives it the very impactful narrative propulsion that defines the recording. If theres ever been a sunny, upbeat track to play on repeat for a few hours, this is it!

Available now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, and PS5:

• Call Me Crazy by ARXX ft. Pillow Queens ($1.99/$1.99)

• Season 5 (Break My Fall) by TOWNS ($1.99/$1.99)

(Most tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation systems approximately 3 days after listed date)

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

Note: As of this post, above tracks marked with are available for the Xbox One/Xbox Series X and tracks marked with are available for PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5; these tracks are not compatible with Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or Nintendo Wii.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: