FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Harmonix has really gone downhill, haven't they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Harmonix has really gone downhill, haven't they? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqmYHuRW_M
The outro to Slow Ride by Foghat released only two months ago is a joke. Sure, Harmonix is no stranger to stilted song editing (check out Tom Sawyer for example) but this seems incredibly amateurish and sloppy to say the least, not to mention entirely pointless. At least shortening I Will Possess Your Heart by 3 minutes only removed redundant bits, but this is cutting out an iconic part of the song, much like when GH:VH removed the drum intro from Painkiller. And it's borderline false advertisement when your songs don't have previews for the charts readily available. I remember back in the day Harmonix was getting refund requests just for censoring "goddamn" out of This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race, now they're actually chopping up songs altogether and selling them as official. Not to mention, the censorship has gotten worse and the charting has gotten sloppy. Goddamn is cut out once in Stop! and several times throughout Redneck (which completely ruins the song, by the way) but is left uncensored entirely in God Damn. Stop!'s lyrics are wrong, for example, and that's not even mentioning the title missing the exclamation point if I'm going to nitpick, which I am.

Bring back 2010 Rock Band. Nothing Harmonix has been doing since announcing Rock Band 4 has been even acceptable. Stop's lyrics are wrong, for example. "Hum along with me. Hum along with the tv." And it should be Stop! if I'm going to nitpick, which I am. Rock Band 4 and Harmonix in general has been a failure after the critical darling that was Rock Band 3, and the layoffs of over 30 people sure took a toll on creative vision and integrity of this long-running franchise. If Rock Band 4 is the last hurrah in the RB series, then Rock Band's legacy, and Harmonix's by extension, is dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ No.
expertwin  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because its not like HMX never removed iconic parts of song in the RB3 era *cough*BlackMagicWoman*cough*
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single version of Slow Ride is just under four minutes, but yeah this is definitely HMX's fault.

The censored radio version of This Ain't A Scene removes the "goddamns" but yes, that was HMX's fault.

Santana's version of Black Magic Woman is followed up as a medley with a second song, Gypsy Queen, itself an entirely separate song which would likely need to be licensed separately from BMW. But it's HMX's fault.

Maybe someone someday will understand that almost every questionable thing about versions of songs in Rock Band are outside of HMX's control, whether it be things they can't licence, thereby requiring it not be included (Gypsy Queen and various samples in the Chinese Democracy album) or the stems provided already being censored (This Ain't A Scene, likely the case with Redneck as well since "goddamn" is not the only obscenity in the song).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this, they are probably more lenient when it comes to DLC, as it does not attribute to the ESRB rating of the game.

Also, they have been making questionable decisions in charting since RB1, for all instruments.

Broken notes (and notes that are so close together that you can't tell they are separate)
    Missing snares
    Missing sections (Bat Country missing a guitar section, for example)
    Strange censorship (she goes down on you in a theater is censored in You Oughta Know, but the song She Goes Down is fine in it's entirety)

and other things for a very very long time. Nothing new. And it really isn't that large of a problem.
I don't know about you guys, but I as a player of video games - and therefore a musician - am certainly enamoured of the prospect of, next time I begin to play Horrible Night, sitting down with a wide grin on my face as I rub my hands together in glee and shout out to the world "I know your secret! You're in a deceptive time signature!" before failing to hit any notes at all because the song is still balls-out hard.

My Youtube! My Youtube for GD:RB! My Twitter!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S4VN01
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like, the Slow Ride thing isn't even Harmonix's top 20 worst charting decisions. It's fine, honestly. They still have an extremely consistent record across hundreds and hundreds of songs.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some very questionable charting/mixing decisions in the Jimi Hendrix songs. "Foxey Lady" in particular was a bit of a "wtf?" moment. On the whole, I thought this is something neversoft was always a bit better at. But in terms of PR (up until they made everybody redundant), engine & general quality of the game, HMX have usually done a better job IMO.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559
DosParkers  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so pissed when I first played Black Magic Woman because I was ignorant. I'm not excusing HMX of anything else, but in this particular case most people (including me) did not realize that Black Magic Woman on Rock Band is the full song. The iconic "other half" is actually a whole other song called Gypsy Woman. Which means HMX would have had to license 2 songs together and do a "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Woman" type deal. That's the artist's 'fault' for making such an iconic song into 2 separate licensed songs.

Before you go start blaming it all on laziness on HMX's side, understand that licensing music is a total shit show nightmare. Record companies have a team of 20 lawyers on stand-by trying to negotiate the most $$$ out of every single usage of the most obscure song.
Spotify has as ton of songs because they have almost 100 million subscribers, where-as Rock Band had maybe 200k at it's prime. (Just spit-balling numbers but you see that Spotify has nearly a 1000x subscriber rate. The lawyers warm up to them faster.)
Even Youtube and it's ginormous userbase has tough times getting certain songs to stick. Notably, Supertramp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: