FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB2 Strat and X-plorer mashup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CollinstheClown  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: RB2 Strat and X-plorer mashup Reply with quote

I only just stumbled upon this site looking at guitar mods, wish I found it years ago!

***Here is a like to my gallery, with more pictures and higher resolutions!*** (You can click them for high res!)
http://collinstheclown.com/gallery/index.php/X-plorer-mod

So a little back story I guess... I love the X-plorer guitar, I've been using the same one since GH2 was released. I've been using it and nothing else up until RB4, since they screwed us wired guitar users.
Here's my old faithful, it broke so I harvested it for some parts before burying it in the back yard. It had a foot pedal activated "auto-strum" mod, that would strum as fast as you set it using the 2 knobs on the left. My whammy bar broke so I took the pot and mounted it sticking out (it had a knob on it) so I could still sort of use it.

I also sanded down the "frets" because I didn't like them..

On with the project!
I've always wanted to add solo buttons to the X-plorer, but never felt the need. Now with RB4 I have to do something to keep the X-plorer alive. The concept was simple enough, swap the guts with a RB2 guitar (So I can use the guitar on the 360 as well) and add solo buttons.

I like the GH3 buttons a lot, so I figured I'd use them. Both guitars are Gibson so swapping the necks is ok!

The neck fit pretty well, with only some minor cutting to the body.

CollinstheClown  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the neck I chopped out the buttons from one neck and glued them where I wanted them.

Surprisingly, they fit within the walls of the neck.

Then some bondo and sanding.

...more bondo and sanding...

Then I painted it black. I didn't like the gloss, so I sanded it and painted it with flat epoxy paint.

[img]http://collinstheclown.com/gallery/var/resizes/X-plorer-mod/20151016_164318.jpg8[/img]

You can only see the stitch a little bit.

Here's where it's at.

I'm working on the electronic side of things now, and will update soon. I'm trying to keep this a stock looking as possible, which means I'm leaving the old board in for the d-pad and stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: