FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to stop the sticks hitting each other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: How to stop the sticks hitting each other? Reply with quote

I've been getting much better lately. Fills aren't just "those things that look crazy that I can't do" anymore. My rhythm is better than ever and my level is about halfway through Expert, the later songs giving me trouble. My biggest problem right now is that the sticks keep hitting each other. I can literally see exactly how to play the fill and I'm mentally set, but...whoops my sticks hit each other and I dropped one of them.

It doesn't even have to be fast notes. If there's multiple notes on the same pad, my sticks will surely find a way to hit each other, causing me to lose my streak. A good example is "Am I Evil?" from GH Metallica. The beginning is super easy, I don't even have to look at the screen, but my damn sticks keep bumping into each other. I will literally watch them hit each other as if they are alive and just want to piss me off. It makes me lose some motivation, because I know I'm at the level where I can start learning very complicated fills, but these damn sticks are dampening my spirits.

I have to keep reminding myself "I know I could have hit that" almost every time. My arms are relaxed, my fingers are relaxed. I've looked up how professional drummers hold their sticks and what not, I'm good to go as far as form goes. It's just so frustrating.
Dante77  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really have no idea how you cant do that lol, its really slow too

but anyways, probably you're playing way too relaxed and thinking about it too much. you might not be making your sticks bounce back to the original position in which you have to hold them after every hit, kinda like a waiting position, with your sticks looking up (70 angle, as a reference). obviously as the rolls are faster the bounceback will be progressively lower to hit the pads faster.

i really dont know how to describe it very well but i hope that helps, look up techniques on rolls and hand positioning. also maybe you're hitting the middle of the pad with both right and left hand when you should try to hit a bit off centered each stick to their respective side. try sticking two paper circles or something to the pads where you're supposed to hit them to straighten your hands position
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: