FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
[SOLVED] 22nd Fret = Xbox Crash!!!???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] 22nd Fret = Xbox Crash!!!??? Reply with quote

Any Squier owners out there notice this?

If I even touch the 22nd fret on the high E string during a song it freezes the entire game on most songs (I noticed some songs it doesn't) even the f****** ones that require it like humanoid!!!!

Its impossible for me to complete humanoid, freebird and a bunch of other songs because it constantly locksup when I get up to the high fret riffs.

I tried a bunch of things, rebooting MIDI adaptor, guitar, fresh batteries, deleted all game saves, deleted and refreshed song cache, tried playing WITHOUT my chord numbering and individual track speeds modifiers enabled...im at wits end with it, I love the guitar, but it seems the reason I bought it to upgrade from the mustang (to get the extra 5 frets and real strings) is now defunct because I cant play the majority of any songs with a 22-fret chart enabled.

I first noticed this when I finished FC'ing wait and bleed, and as the screen was going to the score page, I had grabbed my guitar neck to place it on the stand and my finger was barring over the 22nd frets.....yep, it froze and I didnt get to post my high score. I put the theory to the test and 100% of the time if i load a song, tap the 22nd fret, it freezes instantly.

Im not expecting to get any help out of this, but I would like to know if anybody else has noticed this, or can test it out on their xbox for me if you own one (or even PS3).

Last edited by Airtrooper719 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
raynebc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my consoles are still packed away due to moving, but I don't remember running into this. I couldn't find anybody else mention it by Googling either so I don't think it's a common problem. It may be worth trying a few things:
*Back up any title updates in case you want/need to revert/restore and try the release version (no patches) of the game by deleting the title updates and see if pressing that fret causes the game to crash. Likewise try allowing it to apply the last title update (booting the game while signed into your online profile) and see if it crashes.
*If you have the equipment to connect it to your computer, you could use a program like MIDI-OX to watch the MIDI commands that are sent when you press that fret versus pressing another one. If the guitar is damaged, it may be sending incomplete or corrupted bytes or something and the game may not be handling it gracefully.

If neither of those yield any interesting results, I can dig out my Xbox 360 and give it a try. It happens in any official chart then?
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
All my consoles are still packed away due to moving, but I don't remember running into this. I couldn't find anybody else mention it by Googling either so I don't think it's a common problem. It may be worth trying a few things:
*Back up any title updates in case you want/need to revert/restore and try the release version (no patches) of the game by deleting the title updates and see if pressing that fret causes the game to crash. Likewise try allowing it to apply the last title update (booting the game while signed into your online profile) and see if it crashes.
*If you have the equipment to connect it to your computer, you could use a program like MIDI-OX to watch the MIDI commands that are sent when you press that fret versus pressing another one. If the guitar is damaged, it may be sending incomplete or corrupted bytes or something and the game may not be handling it gracefully.

If neither of those yield any interesting results, I can dig out my Xbox 360 and give it a try. It happens in any official chart then?

Unfortunately I cannot try any other versions of updates as I only own the on-demand version (latest updated embedded into game file).

I DID find one thing this may help understand what is happening in the background or something??

If for example I load a song which includes a 22nd fret note as the very FIRST song since starting the game up AND only in practice mode.... it allows me to play those riffs and hit the 22nd fret as much as I like...however get this....

Once I have finished that practice session, it doesn't matter which song I pick, DLC, <17>17 frets, RB3 Disc songs, the game hangs upon selecting "Pro Guitar" before getting to choose my difficulty, ANY SONG and EVERYTIME without fail.

IF for the very first song I play a song <17 frets and then afterwards take a 22 fret song into practice mode, the game hangs when I tap the 22nd fret even in pratice mode.

It should be noted, that in no way shape or form have I ever been able to touch the 22nd during a live playthrough (one that is scored to the leaderboards).

I basically have to purposely miss notes now. I played full pro band last night and I could have FC'd foolin' but I had to purposely not play the last couple of notes in the solo the guys were like "damn you were so close to FC" and I was like "THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE BAG FOR ME!!!!!!!"

Is so frustrating :(

Also if I were to test on the PC, does the madcatz Midi adaptor work to connect it to the computer? As I dont have a special MIDI to USB cable.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a note to try this out, but at this point I don't know where the problem lies based on the description of your testing. If you have a second MPA, it may be worth trying that to rule out the MPA as the cause. If you can get your hands on a used copy of the original RB3 release (not the MadCatz re-release), that could help you rule out any game updates (play offline to avoid having it force you to install the updates). Testing with the PC by examining the MIDI data would require a normal MIDI adapter, but it may be the best way to rule out a problem with the Squier itself.
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
I'll make a note to try this out, but at this point I don't know where the problem lies based on the description of your testing. If you have a second MPA, it may be worth trying that to rule out the MPA as the cause. If you can get your hands on a used copy of the original RB3 release (not the MadCatz re-release), that could help you rule out any game updates (play offline to avoid having it force you to install the updates). Testing with the PC by examining the MIDI data would require a normal MIDI adapter, but it may be the best way to rule out a problem with the Squier itself.

I dont have another MPA unfortunately so I will probably wait to see what the result was from yours before I come to the conlusion that it needs replacing. I will also try to get a hold of the disc version, plus that would mean I can have custom songs too which would be an added bonus.

I did have another MIDI cable to try (a 2m one as opposed to the 10m one I usually use), but that made no difference.
Alternity  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone else talking about that bug on the official RB forums a long time ago.. I tried searching the thread but no luck...

IF I recall correctly, it was due to an update... but I can't be sure, been too long unfortunately.

Might be worth a shot going there (if it still exists) and ask there.
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternity wrote:
I remember someone else talking about that bug on the official RB forums a long time ago.. I tried searching the thread but no luck...

IF I recall correctly, it was due to an update... but I can't be sure, been too long unfortunately.

Might be worth a shot going there (if it still exists) and ask there.

I just seen a couple of them on the harmonix forums myself....typical....absolutely no replies to the poor guys, not from anybody...

That just leads me to the assumption that I will not be FC'ing some songs on my squier because there is no workaround, I now have to purposely tell myself NOT to play that fret, even though when Im in "the zone" my hands tend to follow the music and sometimes I end up playing it and freezing my game
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a solution to this bug, I have posted the details on harmonix forums for those who want to know:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/257051/fender-squier-pro-guitar-22nd-fret-crash-bug-fix?new=1
ricecake  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like a real pain in the ass to find the solution. Thanks for figuring it out! My stuff is packed away right now, but I wonder if the bug affects the PS3 version as well, and if so, then I'll try your solution to see if it works there too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
Wow, sounds like a real pain in the ass to find the solution. Thanks for figuring it out! My stuff is packed away right now, but I wonder if the bug affects the PS3 version as well, and if so, then I'll try your solution to see if it works there too.

Yes it also affects the PS3 from what I have heard. The problem came with Title Update 5, but was never addressed before Harmonix stopped rolling out support updates. With it being a home-brew fix, it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Yesterday my game froze 3 times when going to select Foolin' to play the full song (which is one of the steps to take) so you basically have to keep doing it until the game allows you to carry on with the 22nd fret charts properly. I tend to only do this when Im about to play online though, otherwise, unless im attempting a highscore/GS/FC I try to avoid playing the 22nd fret because the bug fix takes about 10 minutes each time to do which can get pretty annoying quickly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: