FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Playing Power Chords the "Correct" Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expertwin  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Playing Power Chords the "Correct" Way Reply with quote

I've been playing Pro Guitar a bit lately, and I've been wondering something. The game says you should play power chords with three notes, but I prefer playing the lower fret with my index and the higher frets with my ring finger, except when I also want to form barre chords. Is doing that way "wrong," both from a technique standpoint and from a Rock Band standpoint.
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most people would consider it "wrong," but realistically, it doesn't matter. Doing it the "right" way will help you get used to finger placement for chords, stretching, and barre chords, but it's not a really big deal if you're comfortable just barring power chords.

There are some guitar techniques where you really want to get into the habit of doing it "right," but on the scale of things, I wouldn't consider this to be one of them.
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual I have to disagree. While there are many good things about being free in your techniques, I would advise against playing powerchords any other way.

You want to be training all your fingers to be independant. What your doing is experiencing early signs of lazyness and looking for shortcuts to get better faster. I did that 10 years ago, only my fault was using index and pinky for 2 string powerchords. For 3 strings I used my pinky to barre the double-stop and index for the root note..... boy did this make my life hell when it came to learning real chords...and im not talking about your average G's, C's, F's, A's and D's. Because I confused my finger positioning on a 3 string powerchord (which I like to think as the foundation, base layer of most chords) I found it extremely hard transitioning from one exotic chord to another exotic chord. Again, basic G's, C's all those beginner chords were no problem, but stuff like hendrix-style and lifeson-style chords were extremely difficult and it took me years to retrain.

I still use my index and pinky for 2 string powerchords as im more comfortable, however, now I cannot barre the double stops, and i use my ring and pinky independantly for each. Chords no matter how complex are a walk in the park now for me, all thanks to that muscle memory I developed.

So yeah, save yourself some years retraining, and try to use all 3 fingers.... unless of course it truely is a barre chord i.e.

--3--3--3--3--
--3--3--3--3--
--5--5--5--5--
--5--5--5--5--
--5--5--5--5--
--3--3--3--3--

On that note, here is why it is important. Say you have a song that has chord dynamics like this:

--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--
--4--4--3--3--5--5--3--3--
--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--
--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--

I wont explain it, but if you get a chance, try playing those chord sequences with the bad habit in play, and I guarantee you, that at least on a couple of occassions, you had muted out a crucial note on the D,G or B strings.

The best piece of advice I was ever given when playing guitar... play with your fingerTIPS (i exagerrate tips, because I mean tips, not the pads of your fingers). This will greatly increase your accuracy, and ability to feel every single note and hear every single note in big chords.

Obviously, if you carry on barring powerchords, you are essentially just playing a root note and using the pad of your ring finger to hold down the majority of the other notes. Therefore your not technically utilising the tips of your fingers.

Good luck! Guitar is a long and boring process but it gets fun after a certain point!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: