FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to play upgrades, customs, and imports on Wii
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: How to play upgrades, customs, and imports on Wii Reply with quote

Hello, everyone that play Rock Band 3 on Wii. I've experimented with playing customs and such on the Wii version of Rock Band 3 and will now explain how it can all be done. The Xbox 360 version isn't the only one that can can freely get in on the customs and upgrade fun! There's no need to worry about title updates, disc versions, losing access to your legit DLC, or online because the Wii has no updates or account-entangled online.

Start by grabbing these tools and files you will need for this guide.
http://ge.tt/8f2aVwf

You can download pre-compiled releases of the Rock Band Harmonies Project from the above link. The latest package can also be downloaded here below.
April 25, 2014
April 4, 2014
January 31, 2014
October 18, 2013
September 6, 2013
August 16, 2013
July 26, 2013
July 4, 2013

These are some terms you should know about custom Rock Band DLC for Wii.
Code:
NAND: The Wii's internal storage. Normally it is about 200MB. It is not advisable to use this for DLC unless you are on an emulated NAND.
DLC: Download content. The Wii needs to see 2 files per song; one with metadata info, and the other with song data.
.APP: A container format for the Wii. This is how DLC is loaded onto emulated NAND systems.
.BIN: A container for DLC. This is only used if you're playing DLC from an SD card.
Ticket: A file stored on the Wii which allows you to purchase and repurchase songs. You need this to pack your own DLC if you're using an SD card.
Content Generation: Folders on the SD card such as sZAE, sZBE, sZCE, etc. that hold about 500 files each. Each generation needs different files, but this guide will focus only on sZAE. They appear in hexadecimal, such as 735A4145, for emulated NAND users.
.DTA: A file that contains meta information on songs. They are not entirely cross-console compatible.

Softmodding Your Wii
To begin, you must find out what the state of your Wii console is. It could be:
Unmodded ("virgin" Wii)
Softmodded on real NAND, using SD Card
Softmodded on emulated NAND

If you've never softmodded your Wii before, get started with this guide. The Wii is super-easy to mod. The most important part of that guide is to get The Homebrew Channel installed, make a NAND backup of your console, and get WADs installed. I haven't heard of any customs working off the retail disc so if you can, try using a USB Loader to play the game.

By now, you should have a softmodded Wii. I'll go over how to pack DLC for use on an SD card which is a few steps more than packing for emulated NAND.
Download RBWii-DLC-Packer from above. It should contain all the files you'll need to pack custom songs and upgrades, including the Rock Band Harmonies Project. What it's missing though is the Wii common key, in binary format, which you'll need to find and drop there. ShowMiiWads can create one for you. It should have no file extension and be called "common-key". Also, you'll need to get your own ticket file.

Getting Your Ticket
On emulated NAND, go to /ticket/00010005 and find 735a4145.tik. Put that in the folder as title.tik.
On real NAND, since your DLC should be on an SD card, you'll have to remove your SD card and download one of the free RB2 songs, like Crazy Tuesday. It should let you download it if you have enough free space on your NAND. Then, download FSToolbox, put it on your SD card and run it with The Homebrew Channel. Navigate to /ticket/00010005 and copy 735a4145.tik to your SD card. Then take the file out and rename it to title.tik to put in the DLC packer folder.

If you've recently backed up your NAND, you should have keys unique to your console. Get your console ID and paste it in ng_id if you're going to be packing for SD on real NAND. You can also find your ng_id by using HxD to open your legit DLC and write down (without spaces) the part highlighted in this image. It must be 8 characters long.

Additionally, if you need to grab your own TMD and DLC save file, navigate to title/00010005/735a4145/content and grab the fie with the large number (000001D2 on NTSC). You may need these for packing DLC.

Learn The Packing Structure
Here is how your folder should look like with everything in it.

Observe the naming convention I used to help you see important values directly from the file name.
For example:
Code:
061_0000003d_upgrades

This is the folder which will pack to 0000003d.app, which will then turn into 061.bin. Even if you're on emulated NAND, you still need to keep track of the .bin file name.
The first folder in the sample is a spoof file required by RBHP. It is simply a songs.dta file which can contain updated DTAs to force harmonies to load on upgraded songs. You NEED the Wii version of the DTA to upgrade songs, though. This spoofing file is set to overwrite song 001, which according to this list, is "The Kill". If you do have that song, you'll have to overwrite it and add it back some other way.
Folder 002 contains upgrades. You can add in your own Pro Guitar and Harmony upgrades here, as long as you update the upgrades.dta correctly. Wii requires the file path to contain the following:
Code:
dlc/sZAE/002/content/songs_upgrades/

For content to be found, you need to include the content generation title and the number of the folder it's in, which in this case is 002. After that path, you then add the upgrade midi's name, such as "song_plus.mid".
I encountered a limit of about 13 song upgrades per pack, so I made another folder for it, which solved the problem.

Packing Your Own Songs
Understanding this, you can now begin packing your own songs, like customs. It is very easy to find custom songs for Rock Band 3, Xbox 360 at least. Find and download one you like. They are usually distributed in CON format. Unpack them with a program like Le Fluffie. It should make a Root folder where you unpacked. Inside, you will find all parts relevant to the song.

In the RBWii-DLC-Packer folder, we'll make this song 063/064. Make 2 folders and call them:
Code:
063_0000003f_songname_meta
064_00000040_songname_song

On the unpacked Xbox 360 file, copy songs.dta. Open the meta folder and make folders to match the structure below.
Code:
content
  songs
    songs.dta
    songname
      songname_prev.mogg
      gen
        songname_keep.png_wii

Make sure songs.dta is inside the songs folder. The gen folder will normally contain the album art, in png_wii format. You have to make your own, which I will go over later.
Optionally, you can also include a preview mogg. Because the Wii can't play the preview from the full song file, the preview mogg gets priority. It can be a mono ~10 second clip of the song in mogg format. There are problems with songs vanishing randomly with this, for some reason.

Now open the song folder you made for 064 and create the following structure. Drop the Xbox files where they are necessary.
Code:
content
  songs
    songname
      songname.midi
      songname.mogg
      gen
        songname.milo_wii

Normally customs come with milo_xbox files, and renaming them to milo_wii seems to work just fine. Now you should have all the Xbox files moved somewhere in the DLC folders.

Go back to the songs.dta file that was placed in the meta folder and open it in WordPad. In the name path, just like what had to be done with the upgrades.dta path, you have to add the Wii-specific path so it reads as:
Code:
dlc/sZAE/063/content/songs/songname/songname

The file has to point to the meta folder we created.

You can pack multiple songs into this file structure, though there is a limit of about 400MB for .APP files and 40MB for .BIN files.

Running The Packer
Songs get packed using the batch script file pack-dlc. It uses u8it to make .app files and wadpacker to turn them into .bin files. Open the batch file with Notepad to add the song we just added. Notice what I had written before.
Code:
u8it 061_0000003d_upgrades 0000003d.app -pack

You simply copy the entire line and replace the folder name with the folders we created to read like so:
Code:
u8it 063_0000003f_meta 0000003f.app -pack
u8it 064_00000040_song 00000040.app -pack

The last part of the batch command is to use wadpacker to pack for SD. It's split up in 2 commands because the tool stops when more DLC can't be found. Paste the following at the bottom to pack 063 and 064.
Code:
wadpacker 63 2

Now, if you ever have to add more songs, in 065/066 and on, you increment the second number for every file you make. 63 4 would pack 4 files starting with 63.

Save that and run pack-dlc. If it was done correctly, you should now have .app files and .bin files. Real NAND SD users will take the .bin files and place them in the sZAE folder of their SD card (private/wii/data/sZAE). Emulated NAND users should take the .app files and put them in:
Code:
title/00010005/735a4145/content

Resetting The Cache
Finally, every time you add new songs or change the contents of a DLC slot, you must reset the song cache. Download the MSTORE.VFF file from above and put it on your SD card. To do this on real NAND navigate to the following with FSToolbox:
Code:
title/00010000/535a4245/data

Let it create those folders on your SD, then put the clean MSTORE file in the data folder and repeat. This time, press + to replace the file.
Emulated NAND users can go to the same path, only they can delete the file entirely.

Now, you can finally run the game. If you (and I) did everything correctly, you should see the songs load at the main menu. If it still hasn't frozen, you can now play your custom songs.

You are done.

Videos
Because cache resetting can get really repetitive, I made a video showing this procedure.
http://youtu.be/Ts9zgCQxUxw

Watch this for a step-by-step instruction on converting Xbox DLC to Wii. This procedure is fundamentally the same once you have everything set up.
http://youtu.be/nAvb4cqJ-4g

Here is video proof of an imported song working, with RBHP upgrades included.
http://youtu.be/fi65zhToOX0

This shows a RB1 song playing flawlessly in RB3 Wii.
http://youtu.be/oPwQaKmILnM

Optional: Importing
Because the Wii can't legitimately import Rock Band 1, Lego, ACDC, and get later RBN stuff, you can manage to get the 360 version of the imports and follow the above steps just like you would for customs. They work with minimal problems. Lego is an exception to buggy 360 files because if you have the disc and snoop around for tools to grab your own files, you can pack your own DLC using the on-disc files. It is confirmed working.

Optional: Adding Album Art
The Wii can't use Xbox album art files, so you have to make your own. Download the AlbumMake ZIP here or from above. It's very easy to use. Find the album art you'd like to use and resize it to 128x128 and save it as a PNG. Drop this file in the input folder. Now, run AlbumMake to batch convert everything. You can pick up your usable png_wii file in the png_wii file folder. Make sure to drop this in the gen folder of the song's meta folder.
____
Known issues
For Harmonies upgrading, if songs won't update, like they did for me when I had spoof files set up on 061, then your only choice left is to edit the real DLC directly. PM if that's the case.

Your scores may mix among custom songs if you don't give them an ID.

Longer songs with more complex stems (usually from drum parts) can cause the game to stutter occasionally, though it also seems to come up randomly on some customs.

Very, very long songs like Foreplay/Longtime won't port easily. You could try reducing the file size yourself somehow.

For songs without vocal parts, called out as "vocal_parts 0", you'll have to remove the line to prevent the value from showing up incorrectly in the sort.

Sometimes, user-created preview moggs force the song to hide until it is removed.

When you do get things working, memorize the folder structure and repeat the last 2 steps. It gets easier the more times you do it.

Questions? Please ask. I'm sure I messed up somewhere.

Last edited by Koetsu on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 18 times in total
espher  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*slow clap*

Glad to see you got it structured.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
*slow clap*

Glad to see you got it structured.

It's too broad and I feel like I'd be repeating myself isolating just parts. I could see a lightweight 1-click solution for just RBHP though. I would have to gather more Wii DTAs to replace the X360 DTAs you have.
trojannemo  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got a pm.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is of interest.
kim666  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tutorial

i think it is much better and understandable than my old tutorial, but i'm a bit disappointed that you did not mention it at all.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim666 wrote:
great tutorial

i think it is much better and understandable than my old tutorial, but i'm a bit disappointed that you did not mention it at all.

I think at this point it could only complicate more things as I've gone more in-depth on the topic. Having 2 separate guides for both methods would also mean a lot of repeated information.

Okay, looking back into the archive I seem to have forgotten the "save file" part which is another thing that would set apart this tutorial for PAL users. So far it's only for NTSC. Users have to get it though.

Also, I've taken all the song DTAs I've gathered and converted them for use with RBHP. The work-in-progress master package is at the top link and here.
Basically, all DTAs have been given the Wii file paths, defaulting to dlc/sZAE/000/content, so the user can change it later.
Lego songs are based on the on-disc DTAs. Some songs also have gen folders for milo and album art stuff, since it would be required as part of the process of creating it into DLC yourself.
Rock Band 1, since it can't be exported, also requires the user to compile it themselves. Surprisingly, all the songs had album art and milo files ready for them so I highly recommend using those over the 360 versions if you're importing.
The rest of the files should be as easy as dragging and dropping the files in their correct folders and updating the paths.
espher  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep me apprised of updates so I can keep it updated, I'll add a Wii section to the spreadsheet.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
kim666  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the guitar hero conversions, you may need to add a subguide for .mogg editing (14 stems to 9 stems).
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
If you want to keep me apprised of updates so I can keep it updated, I'll add a Wii section to the spreadsheet.

Oh sure, of course. Some of these take a little while to find so it could be a while before I have all the currently-released upgrades available.

But say, when I was going through them, the songs "Nightmare", "Orange Crush", and possibly one more still had a dummy CON file in there. I took it out, of course.
And a minor typo. For RBN Pro Drums, Steve Vai "For The Love of God" is misspelled in the folder.
Claythest  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for this thread ! Playing Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin on Rock Band 3 on Wii becomes true !

But, i'm on a European Wii... And the things are not exactly the same...

I don't have 735a4145.tik file on my NAND, but i have a 735a4150.tik . I used it instead of your 735a4145.tik file, but i get the following error while running the pack-dlc.bat file :

Code:
TMD size truncated to 18808 bytes
TMD title ID does not match ticket:
        Ticket: 00010005735a4150
        TMD:    00010005735a4145
TMD title ID will be modified.
Title Key: 5ED4E592ABC6C8671565DC70C218A5FB
Title IV:  00010005735A4150
cannot open common-key: No such file or directory

Can you help me to install customs on my PAL WII ? Is it possible ?

Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible on PAL Wiis. You are correct in grabbing your tickets, but you alsi have to grab your own tmd and save file. In title/00010005 there should be folders for DLC content that is stores on your NAND. You'll need the one with a bigger number and the tmd.

Also, remember PAL DLC uses different paths, so yours would be sZAP instead of sZAE.
Claythest  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. I have forgotten the Wii common key. With the Wii Common key, the pack-dlc.bat seems to be ok.
But now i have error while i'm trying to write MSTORE.VFF on my NAND with FSToolbox. I'll try later...

But I don't have TMD File and save file ! It's not mentioned on your first post : where can i find them ?

For sZAP it was ok for me ;)

PS : please excuse me for my english, i hope i'm enough clear in my words...

Koetsu  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claythest wrote:
Thanks for your answer. I have forgotten the Wii common key. With the Wii Common key, the pack-dlc.bat seems to be ok.
But now i have error while i'm trying to write MSTORE.VFF on my NAND with FSToolbox. I'll try later...

But I don't have TMD File and save file ! It's not mentioned on your first post : where can i find them ?

For sZAP it was ok for me ;)

PS : please excuse me for my english, i hope i'm enough clear in my words...

I've added the instruction and it's fundamentally the same on PAL. Get your tmd and save by going to title/00010005/735a4145/content and basically getting everything.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, this will also work on Wii U if you have the internal Wii emulator softmodded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: