FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Making a custom, am I doing this right? :3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Making a custom, am I doing this right? :3 Reply with quote

So let me give you a walkthrough of what I'm doing and you can tell me if I'm doing it right so far.

I got an instrumental version of Drake - Headlines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9yNOhDeEck and I'm trying to make a karaoke version of it. I'm not going to charting any instruments because I'm just interesting in doing the vocals (to learn with). Also, I know the song has some pitched parts in it, but I'm just learning the program first so I'm going to be trying to do it all in talkies.

So:

1. I open Reaper.
2. File > Project Templates > RBN2 Template.
3. Insert > Media File > Headlines (Instrumental).wav
4. I get confused at this part. I drag the waveform to the very start of PART VOCALS and put it in the GAME VOCALS row. Like this:

When I double click PART VOCALS I get this:

Which is obviously where I can chart the vocals by clicking on shit, but I'm mystified as to how I do talkies here. There doesn't seem to be any option, unless it's "PHRASE MARKER", but that doesn't seem right.

And finally, is this how I do lyrics? By just double clicking down here and typing stuff? :P

(Just ignore the placements, lol, I was doing an example).

To be honest I'm just totally guessing at this point, so if I'm totally wrong just tell me :3
espher  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see your images b/c your host is blocked by my filter here at the office. There's a doc on the RBHP spreadsheet that touches on some of the vocal stuff, which is doubly good with Creators being down, but I'll give you a tl;dr:

You insert lyrics by double-clicking at the bottom, typing your lyric (or partial lyric for multi-syllable words), selecting Lyric as the event type, and hitting OK. Make sure it is lined up with the beginning of your note.

To turn a note/lyric into a talkie, add ^ or # at the end of the lyric (e.g. you chart "this" to E3, so to make it a talkie you make sure the lyric is "this#"). There's a little more nuance to which talkie thing you use but I did say this is the tl;dr version.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
Can't see your images b/c your host is blocked by my filter here at the office. There's a doc on the RBHP spreadsheet that touches on some of the vocal stuff, which is doubly good with Creators being down, but I'll give you a tl;dr:

You insert lyrics by double-clicking at the bottom, typing your lyric (or partial lyric for multi-syllable words), selecting Lyric as the event type, and hitting OK. Make sure it is lined up with the beginning of your note.

To turn a note/lyric into a talkie, add ^ or # at the end of the lyric (e.g. you chart "this" to E3, so to make it a talkie you make sure the lyric is "this#"). There's a little more nuance to which talkie thing you use but I did say this is the tl;dr version.

Okay my image shows that the little arrow things at the bottom are lined up, so thanks for that :3

And yeah, you know I read how to do talkies before with the # but for some reason I just totally forgot that until you said it, haha.

I still have a lot of stuff to do to make sure it works and stuff first though, aaah.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so in the PARTS VOCAL chart I have these little things, a random line about a second long on "Phrase Marker" and another one on C3. Are these important?

Also at the bottom I've got three vertical lines that say "[Idle]" and "[Play]" and "Lyric". What are these for?
espher  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're placeholders in the template. You can delete them.

[Idle] and [Play] are some of the animation markers you'll need to get custom animation tracks working. The Creators docs touch on these, so hopefully they'll be up soon, but they essentially determine the animation state of the character performing that instrument part.

Lyric is likely a sample of a lyric event.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
farottone  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Don't have your audio file start at 1.1.00 or you'll regret it. Notes shouldn't generally appear before 3.1.00 (before any purist jump in: notes shouldn't appear before seconds not beats, but 3.1.00 allows for a nice count in).
2) You don't have to insert lyrics in Reaper. I do mine in a TXT file and import, that way it's easy to fix any issue.
3) Leave some space between your notes: not only you need it for gameplay but it's very very unusual for any singer not have any pause between notes, so try to listen carefully to the audio and stop the note as soon as the singer stops carrying the note (and in the future will learn to treat vowels sounds in a different manner, etc.).
4) Listen to Espher because he's very good at vocals.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farottone wrote:
1) Don't have your audio file start at 1.1.00 or you'll regret it. Notes shouldn't generally appear before 3.1.00 (before any purist jump in: notes shouldn't appear before seconds not beats, but 3.1.00 allows for a nice count in).
2) You don't have to insert lyrics in Reaper. I do mine in a TXT file and import, that way it's easy to fix any issue.
3) Leave some space between your notes: not only you need it for gameplay but it's very very unusual for any singer not have any pause between notes, so try to listen carefully to the audio and stop the note as soon as the singer stops carrying the note (and in the future will learn to treat vowels sounds in a different manner, etc.).
4) Listen to Espher because he's very good at vocals.

Right, so is 3.1.00 a good place to start? I thought 1.1.00 might be retarded haha. Currently I'm at 6.2.52 ._.

Which brings me on to another point, where exactly do I put the "music"? Because I worked out the easiest way to do a karaoke version is to get the karaoke track and then get the acapella track (Come on it's a rap song, they ALWAYS have acapella versions ;P). I have the acapella in "Dry Vox" at the moment, and the instrumental at the very bottom in "TRKS". Is this right or do I need to move them around? Thanks bros.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpity bump I need help with this.
farottone  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurrDeeDurr wrote:

Right, so is 3.1.00 a good place to start? I thought 1.1.00 might be retarded haha. Currently I'm at 6.2.52 ._.

Which brings me on to another point, where exactly do I put the "music"? Because I worked out the easiest way to do a karaoke version is to get the karaoke track and then get the acapella track (Come on it's a rap song, they ALWAYS have acapella versions ;P). I have the acapella in "Dry Vox" at the moment, and the instrumental at the very bottom in "TRKS". Is this right or do I need to move them around? Thanks bros.

3.1.00 is THE place to start, because you get 2 measures to do a full count (1, 2 in the first measure, 1-2-3-4 in the second). You can put the music wherever you like, you just need to render it out for Magma.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farottone wrote:
HurrDeeDurr wrote:

3.1.00 is THE place to start, because you get 2 measures to do a full count (1, 2 in the first measure, 1-2-3-4 in the second). You can put the music wherever you like, you just need to render it out for Magma.

Okay, right thanks. I moved everything to 3.1.00.

So I decided I'd export the song half way finished just to see if it's working okay (and I need to wait for my USB to come anyway).

I click:

File > Export Project MIDI

and put it on my desktop.

Then I open Magma and fill in the fields I need. I leave everything but VOCALS and BACKING unchecked.

I assume BACKING is where I load the .wav of the song that is just the instrumental part and VOCALS are where I load the acapella VOCALS. What's DRY VOCALS for then? I load the same file in that one for the VOCALS one because it won't let me build until I put something in it.

When I hit Build I get a bunch of errors telling me I misaligned lyrics (they have to be RIGHT at the start of the tube right? What a fucking ball-ache, is there any less annoying way? :P) but what's worrying me more is:

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: c:/users/XXX/desktop/drake - headlines rb3.mid: Track PART HARM1 not allowed

Like seriously? How do I do harmonies then if I'm "not allowed" to have Harmony parts? ._.

Edit - Overall I think I got the hang of this but it's kinda hard to read up on it when RB.com is down :/
farottone  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurrDeeDurr wrote:

Okay, right thanks. I moved everything to 3.1.00.

So I decided I'd export the song half way finished just to see if it's working okay (and I need to wait for my USB to come anyway).

I click:

File > Export Project MIDI

and put it on my desktop.

Then I open Magma and fill in the fields I need. I leave everything but VOCALS and BACKING unchecked.

I assume BACKING is where I load the .wav of the song that is just the instrumental part and VOCALS are where I load the acapella VOCALS. What's DRY VOCALS for then? I load the same file in that one for the VOCALS one because it won't let me build until I put something in it.

Dry vocals is for lip sync and for scoring. You render out at 16 Khz, mono, that's it.

HurrDeeDurr wrote:

When I hit Build I get a bunch of errors telling me I misaligned lyrics (they have to be RIGHT at the start of the tube right? What a fucking ball-ache, is there any less annoying way? :P)

Do your lyrics in a TXT file, then select all notes, then Import lyrics from the select note files from the *MIDI* action menu. No more misalignment.

HurrDeeDurr wrote:

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: c:/users/XXX/desktop/drake - headlines rb3.mid: Track PART HARM1 not allowed

Boy that annoyed the heck out of me. Harmonies track have no "PART" in the track name. It's just HARM1, it's wrong in the template.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeeeeeeesus I'd be dead without you guys.

The thing is, I want to learn this because I ALWAYS see people on other sites asking how to do shit and I want to learn because then I can teach them Unless they're fucking technologically impaired or something and don't know how to turn on a computer.

Quote:
Boy that annoyed the heck out of me. Harmonies track have no "PART" in the track name. It's just HARM1, it's wrong in the template.

So I just have to rename it?

Edit - Oh, it's called HARM1 anyway... uh.

Is it because I haven't put anything in HARM1 2 and 3? You're supposed to chart HARM1 the same as PART VOCALS right, because HARM1 is the blue line (and it's always gonna be incredibly similar)? I haven't got anything in HARM1 at the moment though.

Edit 2 - Holy shit I finally got lyrics working, my RBN keymap didn't load for some reason ._.
farottone  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurrDeeDurr wrote:

Is it because I haven't put anything in HARM1 2 and 3? You're supposed to chart HARM1 the same as PART VOCALS right, because HARM1 is the blue line (and it's always gonna be incredibly similar)? I haven't got anything in HARM1 at the moment though.

If you have harmonies, HARM1 can be the same as PART VOCALS (although you will find yourself authoring more stuff on PART VOCALS, in duets and songs like that). If you have no harmonies, noly PART VOCALS is authored and included in the MIDI file.
HurrDeeDurr  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farottone wrote:
HurrDeeDurr wrote:

If you have harmonies, HARM1 can be the same as PART VOCALS (although you will find yourself authoring more stuff on PART VOCALS, in duets and songs like that). If you have no harmonies, noly PART VOCALS is authored and included in the MIDI file.

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up :3

I'm sure I'll get a load of problems when I try to export it :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: