FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Strange ION cymbal crosstalk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobthecreep  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Strange ION cymbal crosstalk Reply with quote

I have looked all over the internet for a solution to this and have nothing but the sort-of fix for the e-kit module. I have a standard ION kit that I have recent purchased a third cymbal for, though this problem was still happening when it was just two.

Whenever I hit either the green and blue or green and yellow cymbals, there's a pretty good chance that it will trigger one of the pads or not trigger one of the cymbals and it's completely random. I can hit any cymbal by itself and it will trigger just fine. I can even hit yellow and blue simultaneously and it will trigger normally every time without fail. I have checked all connections, moved everything around, tried padding the L arms against the bottoms of the pads by wrapping the cables around them and nothing seems to help. Should I pop open the brain and start moving things around or just deal with it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this exact same problem with the stock ion controller - it's not the kit or your cymbals. It's either the controller or the game itself. It's probably a combination of both - the game was not tested well, if at all, with the ion kit and given the LONG list of bugs that have gone unattended in the two years since it's release I wouldn't be surprised if we're all blaming the ions for a problem that is solely HMX's. That being said, the ion drum rocker is, to say the least, junk. Their customer support sucks like a blonde in a trailer park and the kit requires at least a few modifications straight out of the box if you expect it to work well and last even without playing pro mode. We could dig deep into the technical jargon about MIDI data, frequency response and the game engine's programming but only the engineers who built the game would have any definitive answers.

The problem is not "crosstalk" as people usually define it (i.e.: kit vibrations causing unhit pads to trigger). It is also NOT static buildup. I purchased a third ion controller and before doing anything, I isolated my kit with a rubber mat, installed brand new high quality cables and shielded the controller with copper tape and dryer sheets (both the casing and the jacks). It didn't work. There's nothing to move around inside the controller - it's just a PCB with buttons & jacks soldered in.

You are correct in highlighting that the green cymbal MUST be hit for this to occur - when hit with the yellow or blue cymbal you'll hear the Y or B tom instead. Hit them hard enough & you'll get a G tom. Adding the kick makes it happen more often. You can hit the Y & B cymbals together as hard as you want with or without kick & you'll never hear a tom.

There are only three solutions to this problem that I've come across after hours of experimenting with different hardware and scouring the web....

1 - Buy a real e-kit. If you've got the cash & are serious about playing drums, invest in a decent Roland, Yamaha or Alesis kit. You'll need a RB MIDI Pro adapter. Expect to spend anywhere between $600-$2000 depending on which kit you decide to buy.

2 - Replace the ion controller with a drum module. I picked up an Alesis Trigger I/O and this solved the problem day one. I went totally Office Space on my old ion controller & I'm never looking back. Again, you'll need the MIDI Pro adapter. This will cost you between $150-$200 depending on where you get them.

3 - Suggested to me in my earlier thread about this same topic: stagger your hits. It takes practice, but if you're hitting a G/Y/O, hit that Y cymbal a split second after you hit the G/O. It works and it's obviously the cheapest of the three. For me, it just killed the vibe having to actively look out for those note combinations instead of just drumming.

You can also try hitting these note combos lightly - it's been tough for me to figure out exactly what range of velocity to use and keep it consistent though - too much trouble for me and it still seems to trigger the tom from time to time, just not as much as when I wasn't thinking about how hard I was hitting.

It sucks, but it is what it is... best of luck!

Last edited by Razorhoof78 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Razorhoof78  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice double post....
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the way the game is programmed. Using the RB Pro Adapter will still give you the same issues (Using an Alesis DM8 straight in to the Adapter and I get it on occasion).

Best bet is the stagger. It doesn't take much of a stagger, just enough to make the game realize it's two different notes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: