FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are good Pro Keys songs to help me with certain skills?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: What are good Pro Keys songs to help me with certain skills? Reply with quote

I'm slowly getting better and better, but I'm still struggling with even simple stuff like lane changing, chords, when to use two hands, and activating OD. Anything on-disc, DLC, or RBN that could help me?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lane changing, there's no specific song that will help with you there (maybe Yoshimi? ) (but don't play Antibodies ) but it's mainly practice. Activating OD is another thing that just comes with playing, but it is easier with songs with breaks right before actvations.

as for specific songs for chords and two handing...

(earlier songs in row are easier)

Chords:
- some good chord songs to work on
On Disc: Oh My God, Walk of Life, Werewolves of London, Here I Go Again, The Power of Love, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
DLC: Under Pressure (RB3 Version), I'm In Love With My Car, Head Over Heels, Pressure, Cowboy Casanova, The Stranger
RBN: Can o' Salt (Remix), I Don't Want To Hear About Your Crappy Boyfriend, Under a Raging Moon Cheesy Pop Song, The Entertainer (Joplin), BRODYQUEST

Two Handing:
- find your two-handing strengths from these ones
On Disc: Oh My God, The Power of Love, Something Bigger, Something Brighter, Du Hast, 25 or 6 to 4, Bohemian Rhapsody
DLC: Total Eclipse of the Heart, Miami 2017, Edge of Seventeen, Somebody to Love (RB3 version), The Stranger, Jungle Boogie, Heart of the Sunrise
RBN: I Like Trains, Selkies, Nugget Man, Schizophrenia, Half Crazy, The Grinder's Tale, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Bach)
malkieriking  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Killing Moon is great for 2 hands and chords; that outro isn't as bad as it looks when you break it down, but you have to hit some 3 note chords with the right hand. I also found The Look very fun to 2 hand, and it became my 15th or so FC.

For lane shifting, if you can learn Dead End Friends that's great, Cold as Ice has a few, a bit in Centerfold, and maybe China Grove if you're not afraid of being hit with some hard stuff. It's really only prevalent in harder songs, so you have to play hard songs to get lane shifts.

Also, for some easy, slow practice chords, Dog Days are Over isn't bad. If you can learn the choruses in Captain Jack, that's doable, and plenty others. I'm not the most common pro keys player, so some of my tips might be a little bit out there, but I started playing keys from scratch (presumably much like you).

zage1337, in my accomplishments thread wrote:
Ever since I started Blitz I played the silver ball
From Thrasher down to One Vision, I've must've played them all
but you aint seen nothing like him in any song at all
that malkieriking SURE PLAYS A MEAN PINBALL
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What are good Pro Keys songs to help me with certain ski Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
I'm slowly getting better and better, but I'm still struggling with even simple stuff like lane changing, chords, when to use two hands, and activating OD. Anything on-disc, DLC, or RBN that could help me?

Lane changes... to be honest, lane changes are mainly an issue when a chart is new to you or being sightread. If you know the chart, then you know what note you should be hitting next and then the screen is just a visual guide. I think it's more important to be able to look at a key (e.g. whether it's in the red, yellow, blue, or green) and instantly know what key you need to hit. I think this mainly just comes from practice. I notice you don't have a score in for Just Like Heaven yet, which is a good one. For DLC, A Whiter Shade of Pale is a good test of being able to jump around the keys. As you get better, you'll get better at hitting stuff out of the blue without knowing it's coming (the way you can in general for non-pro instruments), but in the meantime, the best way to avoid the annoyance of lane shifts is to know the section.

Chords: there's a lot of great stuff for chords. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, on disc, is great. China Grove too. For DLC, I Just Died In Your Arms, Private Eyes, Living for the City, Maybe I'm Amazed, Say Goodbye to Hollywood, and I Want To Know What Love Is are all pretty good. A lot of the Johnny Cash songs are good for broken chords (where you have a single low note and then 2 or more higher notes all of the same chord). There's good stuff on-disc for that too (This Bastard's Life and Me Enamora).

Two-handed play / overdrive: Not my thing, and where I have used two hands, I suck at the transition (usually break combo when I introduce the left hand). So I'll let others be the guide here. But I will point out, the more parts you can play with your right hand, the more often you can easily activate OD with your free hand. That said, you can always pick up a foot pedal which will make activating a lot easier.

Hope this helps and if you are wondering about any other techniques I'll answer as best I can.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm back nearly a month later, picking up slowly. Starting from scratch and only counting FCs from now on, I picked up my first FC (Acvodad), and managed to relearn Werewolves of London/Whip It (how I FC'd it, I have no idea). I'm practicing these techniques again, and not only did I forget most of the stuff I learned from day 1 of RB3, I feel like I'm learning how to play games all over again

That being said, would it be better to start on difficulties like Hard/Expert, or Medium? I read in another thread that starting on Hard helps. The thing is, playing a song like Shout on Hard (where it's relatively simple and good practice), then playing it on Expert where it's not only in chords, but completely different lanes, makes the transition a lot rougher and more confusing for me. Medium is too slow paced for me, and I don't remember Easy/Medium having any lane shifts. What difficulties should I try out first, seeing as how I can only play a total of four - five songs on Expert?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can really only play a handful of songs on Expert, maybe you should go with Hard, but don't underestimate your ability to learn stuff on Expert. A few songs that are probably pretty learnable based on the first month I had the game:

* Living in America
* Everybody Wants to Rule the World
* Just Like Heaven
* Rock Lobster

If there's any songs in the first three tiers you're having trouble with, feel free to post. It wouldn't hurt us to have a few more technique posts here now and then . And I'd be happy to tell you how I play anything that I'm able to play.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly enough, the only couple of songs I have any sort of consistency on are Werewolves of London, Rock Lobster, and Antibodies (which I don't fail anymore, and generally break 215k+). Everything else destroys me though, hah. Just Like Heaven and Heart of Glass were both barely (and I mean BARELY) 3*s on SRs.

I would like to know if it's normal to get ridiculously shitty scores on even Warmup songs on sightread. I'm also wondering about how to play Yoshimi and Just Like Heaven, both of which are sustain heavy and shift lane heavy.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get shitty scores on anything on a sightread, esp. if you're not used to reading the charts. One big diff with pro keys is there's 25 lanes, of which you see about 14 of them on the screen at a time. You can't really BS your way through things on reflexes the same way as on 5-lane (you can BS your way through things in other ways; like once you figure out what key a song is in, you know where to usually put your fingers... but that stuff can come later). There is often more memorization involved... so in some cases you might suck at a song because you're not ready for it yet, but in other cases you just have to learn the song.

One thing I often did when I was trying to pass stuff is take a song into the trainer before the sightread and at least look at each section. Odds are each main theme in the song is going to be in there (there are a few exceptions, like the hilariously bad trainer for Rehab). This saves some of the frustration of a pure sightread because you already know little snippets of the song.

Heart of Glass is hard to get higher than a 3* because so many points are wrapped up in that one sustained chord at the end of the song. You need to FC the solo to build up your multiplier and then not miss in the chords before that one long chord and then you can 5* it. But it's not something I would work on yet.

Yoshimi I found pretty tough when I was first learning pro keys. I haven't played it in a while but a lot of the chorus is "broken chords", where you have a three-note chord but you play one key of it at a time. So while it might seem like 10-12 notes, it's really just 4 chords. If you learn the order by heart, you'll be ok.

For Just Like Heaven, for all the long sustained notes you kind of have to learn the order by heart. It's pretty repetitive so if you play through it a few times you'll know it. The middle part with more notes is all playable in one hand position, so you don't have to move your hand at all, just use different fingers.

So really in both cases, the "way I play them" is I learn how the song goes in advance, and then I don't even really care how the lane shifting goes because I know what keys I have to go to. That does kind of bring to mind a weird thing when playing pro keys; sometimes you are looking for an "absolute" key, like D or F# or whatever. Other times you might be looking for a relative key, like "the next note is two white notes higher than the white note I just played". So lane shifting is really about finding the absolute key you need so that you can get back to relative keys. That's probably more confusing to think about than it actually is .
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
So really in both cases, the "way I play them" is I learn how the song goes in advance, and then I don't even really care how the lane shifting goes because I know what keys I have to go to. That does kind of bring to mind a weird thing when playing pro keys; sometimes you are looking for an "absolute" key, like D or F# or whatever. Other times you might be looking for a relative key, like "the next note is two white notes higher than the white note I just played". So lane shifting is really about finding the absolute key you need so that you can get back to relative keys. That's probably more confusing to think about than it actually is .

I think that kind of thinking got me to move comfortably from Medium to Hard. I can't 2-hand either because it's the same as learning to write with your left. I hate how "easy" songs with very scattered single notes score because it's too easy to make mistakes unless you truly memorize it. The Shinedown songs come to mind because I can't get more than 3 stars on Hard. Bully is a nightmare on Expert. You're supposed to 2-hand that, right? It feels so awkward, especially on the non-audible parts.
Alternity  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading alot of the responses, and pretty much only the OP, I have to say that as an actualy keyboadist, every songs, even the warmups, has to be learned in a certain way. Your skills will develop in a matter of time. Don't use easy/medium/hard difficulties, this will slow you down, you're better off using expert + no-fail even if you're doing pretty bad (1 stars, etc). Keep trying. I suggest finding an impossible tier song that you REALLY want to learn, and struggle on it untill you can do fairly well, you will see that everything will make more sens. If you have access to an actual keyboard, it's very helpfull to actually practice the song without RB, and just playing it on different speeds (speed % that you can't get using RB's trainer/practice mode).
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink's "Please Don't Leave Me" is very good broken chord practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: