FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First time playing Keys both irl and rb
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parmesean97  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alternity, I can, but I don't know what way is best to comprehensively understand pro keys.

Should i slowly move through all of medium and then up to hard and finally expert? Or slowly trudge through the easiest of the expert difficulty songs until I can do the harder ones?

Although the latter is faster and I wouldn't mind not wasting time, I feel like the learning curve may be too much. Or am I overestimating pro keys?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZionalQuadrophenic Lulz no vids, but add as a friend!
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmesean97 wrote:
@Alternity, I can, but I don't know what way is best to comprehensively understand pro keys.

Should i slowly move through all of medium and then up to hard and finally expert? Or slowly trudge through the easiest of the expert difficulty songs until I can do the harder ones?

Although the latter is faster and I wouldn't mind not wasting time, I feel like the learning curve may be too much. Or am I overestimating pro keys?

Honestly, either will work fine. I know personally, I spent a lot of time on medium PK, then jumped almost immediately to expert (very little time on hard). I don't think I would've been able to jump into expert without the basic competency I learned on medium. But to each his own. There are plenty of players who (as evidenced by this thread alone) just started straight out on expert PK and learned through failure. And plenty who worked their way up from lower difficulties.

I'd say keep playing medium for now, but try a few easier songs on expert, and see how you feel about that learning curve.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmesean97 wrote:

I started on expert and pretty well stayed there. I eventually went down to Hard to pick up the 5* goal. However I previously had a bit of piano experience so I knew how to play a scale and crap like that.

As a beginner a lot of what you need to do is get used to where parts of the note highway are on your keyboard (e.g. red, yellow, blue, green sections). Lower difficulties have no lane switches which I think is going to slow you down when you want to move up.

In MY opinion, the best way to learn pro keys is to play on higher difficulties, but to have access to DLC so that you aren't just playing the same few charts. If you don't have the cash for a lot of DLC, and are finding Expert too hard, I would go to Hard, and only go to Medium if you are really struggling on Hard.

Last thing is, don't get disillusioned if you have to work your way through the tiers like a beginning Guitar Hero player. The only people here who didn't have to do that are the ones with years of piano experience. It took me a month of constant playing to pass everything on Expert except Roundabout, and then another five months to pass Roundabout. It took me about a year to be able to 5* stuff like Smoke on the Water or Free Bird. It just takes patience and dedication.
Alternity  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmesean97 wrote:

I began immediately on expert. The hardest was to actually be able to read the chords, and such. Personally I just turned no-fail on and screwed around all songs, and dedicated myself to learn one of the impossible songs (Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting) that I wanted to play well. Yes, I did horrible at first (1, 2 stars), but soon enough, I've been able to understand what was in front of me, and was able to 5 stars it in under 2 months. My way might not be good for you, as it could be too. I really suggest finding a hard song that you truly want to learn first (Exclude roundabout and llama for now, those are out of reach), and everything on pro keys will make a little more sens, until you can read this. It will also train your endurance. Another advice I can give you is the colors, if you're using the official RB keyboard, there's a mark that you can feel with your fingers between the colors, so you can know where you are without even looking, this might look like a little innofensive thing, but it helps alot to not get lost, and still be able to read the chart as you play. I'm probably one of the few here that constantly sightread the stuff, and I'm pretty good at it just for the fact that it's how I learned to play, so now whatever people picks, even if I don't remember the song, I will usually AT LEAST get 4 stars on it, unless it really hard impossible stuff (like Andromeda), I'll get 3 stars, and the really impossible stuff (flight of the bumblebee) I will just.. fail. But seriously, choosing something hard that you know you can't pass yet, and just try and try, will get you better faster than you think probably.
malkieriking  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started much like a lot of people here; my enormous RB ego made me decide to play expert right away. I haven't put nearly as much effort into Pro Keys as many of the people here (and the skill level difference shows it), but I have passed the disk and have 20 (21? can't remember) on disk FCs. It all depends on a few factors:

1. Do you need to feel immediate success? Play medium or hard first and work upward.

2. Are you willing to get less than 3 stars on many occasions with no-fail on? Play expert.

3. Are you willing to sit through some basic scales? Go through the trainers first. If you are like this, you might also like to go into the song trainers before playing, and maybe even practice mode.

Personally, I played through the first few sets of tutorials first (the only piano experience I had before this was about 2 days of learning C-Major in a middle school music class). Also, don't be afraid to use 2 hands for some things. I could've never FCed The Killing Moon without 2 hands, and a lot of songs become a lot easier. Again, slowing things down and practicing for a little while is incredibly helpful. Coming up with methods to hit sections is important, especially with the amount of rote memorization you generally need to do well to 5*, GS, and FC songs, easy or hard.

Some songs are obviously a waste of time, but some early songs to practice:

Rock Lobster was my first 100% not including Need You Tonight. It's fun, gets your hands moving, but isn't that bad to learn.

The Con: Practicing the one hard part is really good for learning to hit black keys. It's vital at higher levels, so learn early.

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before: Great for small amounts of movement, and pretty fun. Rather note dense in the choruses.

Last Dance: Intro to chords. Learning to play the chorus is vital, and will help a ton.

Good luck with trying to improve!

zage1337, in my accomplishments thread wrote:
Ever since I started Blitz I played the silver ball
From Thrasher down to One Vision, I've must've played them all
but you aint seen nothing like him in any song at all
that malkieriking SURE PLAYS A MEAN PINBALL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: