FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Experimental music on RBN?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Experimental music on RBN? Reply with quote

Experimental can be pretty broad, but for this purpose, it's ambient, noise, drone, post-rock; basically, anything that's not like the usual metal/rock/electronic we have.

I know that PON DE FIOR and SEX were released forever ago (a year), but it's a very weird thing to have noise playable and translated into plastic instruments. And it's something people actually want to buy and play.

With more "experimental" music on the way courtesy of the... artist, Re-neg0a0-s8r48s7p, and post-rock (again, not the norm that you find or would necessarily be fun to play, depending) via Under the Empire, should experimental music be allowed? Would it help bring variety, or just make the RBN look like a joke?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been for it.

My stance has always been that the RBN is for musicians, bands and genres that wouldn't normally be released by HMX, and Experimental stuff fits that perfectly.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did submit a song of this nature to Arcanon for consideration but I gather that he's rather rushed at the moment so not having heard back is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
I did submit a song of this nature to Arcanon for consideration but I gather that he's rather rushed at the moment so not having heard back is fine.

I know the song you speak of, and I could have sworn I gave you my positive opinion on it at one point. Though like you said, I've been rather swamped with projects as of late so I may have forgotten. I do remember wanting to do it though.

I find it funny how all of the experimental and post-rock artists mentioned in this thread were authored by/are being authored by Chart Toppers. We're definitely not the first to venture into experimental and post-rock, but it almost seems like we're responsible for this kind of thing coming to RBN. That's despite the fact that we've got so many other, more accessible songs of various genres in the works and in the store.

So yeah, it's obvious what my stance here is on the matter. I'm totally all for it. I'm always curious as to how songs like these translate to RB3 (and now Blitz, which after playing the SNMT stuff there makes me even more curious about what the charts will look like) and if an artist of this nature wants to come to the RBN and finds a way in, well, more power to them. I've always said RBN is for any artist who says yes to being in Rock Band, and I don't believe there should be exceptions. Especially because, when all is said and done, experimental music will still be a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the Rock Band store, and the people who aren't into this stuff will still have a ton of other songs of various styles to choose from, by us and by every author that contributes to the RBN. That's the beauty of the Network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Arcanon24
Fairwood  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, while I don't know if Arcanon was taking the piss or not, he's claimed that SNMT happened because these happened.

And yes, the more genres the better. We pretty much already come off as a metal-saturated joke anyway, might as well play around a bit.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming soon to RBN eventually
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcanon wrote:
I've always said RBN is for any artist who says yes to being in Rock Band, and I don't believe there should be exceptions. Especially because, when all is said and done, experimental music will still be a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the Rock Band store, and the people who aren't into this stuff will still have a ton of other songs of various styles to choose from, by us and by every author that contributes to the RBN. That's the beauty of the Network.

What about people throwing together random shit as a 10 minute joke noise song for the sole purpose of seeing if it belongs in the RBN? Anyone can make something in 30 minutes to an hour and as long as they're willing to put up with not a lot of potential buyers and contract signing, they can put anything on. Even if variety and experimentation are welcome, there's always that danger.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
Xenigma  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread just reminds me of how much I love Apocalypse for Breakfast. Weird in all the best ways.

machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:

What about people throwing together random shit as a 10 minute joke noise song for the sole purpose of seeing if it belongs in the RBN? Anyone can make something in 30 minutes to an hour and as long as they're willing to put up with not a lot of potential buyers and contract signing, they can put anything on. Even if variety and experimentation are welcome, there's always that danger.

I don't see a danger in this. If they want to, who cares?
Arcanon  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairwood wrote:
And, while I don't know if Arcanon was taking the piss or not, he's claimed that SNMT happened because these happened.

And yes, the more genres the better. We pretty much already come off as a metal-saturated joke anyway, might as well play around a bit.

SNMT didn't happen because of those per se. Andrew was going to put the songs in RBN anyway, and I mainly did it because I know the guy personally and I was curious to see it in RB form. Coelacanths just pushed me forward a bit into actually going through with it. I showed Andrew the Coelacanths stuff, and he didn't find it weird at all, so I don't think it really influenced his decision, especially since he was gonna do it anyway.

I was originally gonna do some less-noisy SNMT stuff, but the fact that it was made in Electroplankton killed that idea. The majority of his stuff is experimental noise anyway, so it wouldn't have really represented his style no matter how much I wanted it in the game.

toymachine wrote:
coming soon to RBN eventually

And we're doing that one too!

TheLonging wrote:

There's always that, true, but how many people are willing to do that to a point where it would flood the RBN and be a concern for buyers not into this stuff? On top of that, who's to say that something like that doesn't count as experimental as well? SNMT is kind of doing that already (he made it primarily to make a 10-minute long song, but it's pretty much in the style of the stuff he makes anyway), and I don't really see many people taking the time to follow in those footsteps, at least not enough to be a significant change in RBN's direction that anti-experimental buyers would be concerned about.

And yeah, anything can make something in 30 minutes and put it in the game. That's not always a bad thing. I made this in 5 minutes and was gonna put it in the game. I still am, but in a different form that took the artist about a day to make. So far I've heard no complaints.

Sometimes someone can throw something together in little time that sounds awesome. Sometimes it's not so awesome. Sometimes it's pure shit. And even then, everyone will have a different opinion on which of the three categories the song will fall into. So it goes. I figure it's less about the time spent making the music and more about the music itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Arcanon24
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcanon wrote:
inv4der wrote:

I know the song you speak of, and I could have sworn I gave you my positive opinion on it at one point. Though like you said, I've been rather swamped with projects as of late so I may have forgotten. I do remember wanting to do it though.

I meant anything beyond that, of course. Still you're busy so it can wait, I'd hate to delay TL's stuff or Thrashbaath. (And god forbid I delay the joy that will be "Re-neg0a0-s8r48s7p"'s work.)

And yeah experimental stuff is interesting, by all means go for it even though I might not buy it personally.

Also someone get some Sunn and Merzbow please.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

The funny thing about this is that Merzbow is one of SNMT's biggest influences, or so he says. Your post reminded me of that. I've not heard his stuff yet, but I really should get on it.

I've never heard of Sunn, so add that to my "I need to listen to this" list.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my phone so I can't quote efficientally.

I know experimental music isn't bad. Hell, I'll fully admit that I enjoy SNMT's music, even if it doesn't translate into a "fun" experience (save for keys on both songs). Hell, if he gets more music in RBN and it's actually over a minute I'll pay the 80 MSP.

However, if someone misses the point and sees that music and thinks "I'll just get something in because anything is allowed", it could start to get all these requests for their six minute songs that took two minutes in audacity. It's not 100% similar but you can't chart dicks in songs (knowingly) and replace lyrics with sexual content every other phrase for shiggles, and the same kind of troll music that is along this vein is the same thing. Again, I'm all for drone or noise or whatever someone puts in, as long ad it's not intentionally done to say "lawl white noise in RB". Too much of that dillutes the quality of RBN as a whole and makes finding stuff to get hard.

I also know that music is subjective. Tomorrow I could make a fourty second track in 5 minutes for play in RBN and people would genuinely love it and want to play it, regardless of how it translates. But it IS a very small niche, even with the most "accessible" of experimental music.

B-besides, I totally w-wouldn't buy Sunn 0))'s music for Rock Band. B-baka.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
daysleeper318  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything on RBN that isn't Creed or Evanescence is too underground and should not be permitted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: daysleeper318 PSN Name: daysleeper318 Wii Friend Code: 3471689087147541
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcanon wrote:
inv4der wrote:

The funny thing about this is that Merzbow is one of SNMT's biggest influences, or so he says. Your post reminded me of that. I've not heard his stuff yet, but I really should get on it.

I've never heard of Sunn, so add that to my "I need to listen to this" list.

Sunn 0))) is a great drone-metal band.

I actually contacted them regarding the RBN like two years ago, and never got a response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: