FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band Blitz GS Breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
espher  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
roadrage bomb and gtr powerups. stay on gtr as much as possible, only move to get od and bomb notes. you'll get it

Alright, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
Bront  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some interesting observations:

You can increase your multiplier with notes beyond the gate if you're close. You can use things like Bandmate (it launches when you first start it), Road Rage, or the Rocket (or possibly get lucky and hit a blast note near the boarder). Being aware of this can make a HUGE difference in your scores.

Beyond that, don't underestimate the power of "hitting moar notes". You get into Blitz faster, stay in longer, get better multipliers, etc. Between that, and getting proficient at changing lanes without breaking your streak, you can GS many songs with several different combination of upgrades.

Songs: Just over 1000.

Last edited by Bront on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubuh wrote:
And I have gold on everything using Road Rage/Blast Notes/Whichever Super works best for the song except for Shout where I used 2X/Blast Notes/Super Guitar.

Blast Notes seems like the big thing that you never should change
This is almost always true. The exception is if it is a very slow song with very few notes, then flame or runaway might work better.

Road rage works best on most songs for the first slot, but on a good chunk of them, if you're accurate and/or fast enough you can get substantially more with Jackpot, particularly on longer songs where golding is tougher.

For the third slot on most songs it will be guitar. There are a handful where drums or bass would work better, almost none for vocals or keys. Synchrony is mostly rubbish, it might work on a song that has very very very few notes because you can score by switching lanes even when there are no notes at all.
GamingAwesome1  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gold starred every on-disc Blitz song and the combination I used pretty much all the time was Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Guitar

Changing the Super Instrument depending on the song is a good idea, I recommend at least playing the song before without powerups to get the feel for which Super Instrument is best, the difficulty listings don't really work as a general indicator, vocals is listed as the hardest instrument for (off the top of my head correct me if wrong), Stronger and Moves Like Jagger. Neither of which you really want to be using Super Vocals for, Guitar's still probably the most consistent instrument throughout.

Not to say it can't be done with Super Vocals. I made that mistake and still sightread Gold starred, but it's still not a wise move, learn from my mistakes.

Bottle Rocket spam allowed me to sightread Gold Star enormous chunks of the setlist and score high in the leaderboards, if BR doesn't work for getting a GS, try Road Rage, that'll probably do it, it depends on the song.

The only exception being Shout, which has got to be the hardest one of the lot. Jackpot is absolutely necessary, there is no chance otherwise. Activate frequently but start saving it towards the end for the long sustains on Guitar. I raised my level caps flawlessly and saved a full bar for the end sustains, scored literally 120k off the end sustains with Jackpot and barely scraped the GS off the end of song track bonus. That jackpot end sustain bonus is critical and is just about the only reason for picking Super Guitar on this song but a powerful reason. It's a real toughie, this one.

I've never really had much luck with either Bandmate or Flame Notes. I've always preferred powerups that allow me to raise all of the tracks level caps so I can focus on my Super Instrument for more points.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GamingAwesome1 wrote:
the difficulty listings don't really work as a general indicator, vocals is listed as the hardest instrument for (off the top of my head correct me if wrong), Stronger and Moves Like Jagger. Neither of which you really want to be using Super Vocals for, Guitar's still probably the most consistent instrument throughout.
Yeah the tierings don't apply to Blitz, they're RB3 tiers for the most part I think..I still don't know how theyre tiering Polly as a 5 on drums though.

GamingAwesome1 wrote:
I've never really had much luck with either Bandmate or Flame Notes. I've always preferred powerups that allow me to raise all of the tracks level caps so I can focus on my Super Instrument for more points.
Flame notes work well on really really easy songs that don't have a lot going on at one time in one lane. Bandmate similarly works well in songs where there is only one track that has anything going on, but the song does have other parts with minimal notes - this allows you to keep points coming in on the high volume lane while still levelling up the other lanes.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
GamingAwesome1 wrote:
the difficulty listings don't really work as a general indicator, vocals is listed as the hardest instrument for (off the top of my head correct me if wrong), Stronger and Moves Like Jagger. Neither of which you really want to be using Super Vocals for, Guitar's still probably the most consistent instrument throughout.
Yeah the tierings don't apply to Blitz, they're RB3 tiers for the most part I think..I still don't know how theyre tiering Polly as a 5 on drums though.

Uh...it isn't. Unless there's something different on your game, it's all tier 0 over here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, so, for Cult of Personality, after consistently grinding between 365k and 368k, I can say that I didn't get gold until the end of track tick that brought me to 370k. :p

Good riddance to that goal.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

370k? Ugh, need to boost my score by 40k. This is going to take some practise.

EDIT: So. Uh...I did that. First try since yesterday and I managed to boost my score to 383k. Amazing.

Last edited by ShiftBreaker on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started going for GS, and as with a bunch of people I use Jackpot + Blast Notes + Super instrument (usually guitar). Usually I play the song with no pwerups about 1-2 times first and focus on getting perfect multiplier boosts.

For this run as a general rule what i do is at the start of the song before the lyrics start I focus on bass, hitting drums in between any bass pauses, or if there is a special density of drums like a roll. Obv if either maxes then you make sure to hit all the notes on the other, or move to guitar. Once the vocals start in then I focus on hitting all the blue notes, going over to guitar to hit notes during pauses or long sustains. If vox maxes then I go back to guitar and max that and then to bass and then to drums until everything maxes. Then at checkpoint i repeat the process, drum and bass when there are no vocals, vox and guitar if there are. with keyboards (which really i dont consider as a separate case, as it is really only about <10% of the available songs in the game, at least for my library - RB3 on disc export would help this) I do the same basic thing but usually you want to do vox/keys at the same time, unless the keys are really spaced out and in that case its pretty important to prioritize the keys over vox, and hit every keys notes (esp if they are long two note sustains) and go back to vox (or gtr) during pauses or long sustains. Then you work your way leftwards as in the four lane case. When workign my way leftwards (after maxing gtr/vox) sometimes i'll move off bass after its one below the minimum so that i can get my drums up in case i get surprised by the checkpoint.

Basically I replay the song a few times until i can get perfect multiplier progression handling any unexpected cases like where one instrument is way less prevalent in the back half of a section compared to the first - laying a good multiplier foundation during the run. In most cases (and im only really early in this process - ive only worked at getting good scores on a dozen or two songs) I can get perfect progression, but if theres a song where you cant quite get it work out a way to at least get all instruments to one under cap, and blast notes in the real run should help you out). The reason for the foundation though is that the earlier in the section you can max all lanes, the longer you can stay in just the super lan in the real run, which ends up allowing you a better chance to get maxed jackpots where you dont have to do a lot of lane-switching. So even though blast notes will probably easily help you get all lanes maxed each section, if you already know how to do it with no blast notes, its only going to let you do it much sooner and thus pay off big with jackpot.

Other things to watch for is to identify the last checkpoint of the song in the real run you will probably want to stick on on einstrument through this section, to identify any solos so you dont miss the first note and lose 10k to not having 100% solo (unless obv its a solo you cant 100% anyways), and to decide which lane to super, with special emphasis on the final section post the last checkpoint, as if you do a full jackpot on this section this actually gets you probably 33% of the score for the song or so.

It helps a lot ot get good at switching without missing notes. What ive noticed is that when you switch off a track you almost never miss that note (even if it just passed), what you miss is the note on the new track (even if it has already passed). So what you want to do is get good at dividing your attention when you come up to a switch, so that you pick a spot just ahead on the track to switch at, then look over and switch and play the new note as one action. Luckily I have lots of practice dividing my attention in such ways do to various activities with previous games. Theres definitely a sort of pattern to how to hit all notes on vox plus notes on guitar in between short vox pauses that you can build up (which is why its important to practice).

Ideally you can get about 4.5-4.75 stars on the song with no powerups, in the cases where i could do this I was able to easily get gold star on first try of song with powerups, in cases wehre I can't I usually got only 5 stars (and moved on, ill come back to it later)

Then i turn on jackpot, blast notes, and super instrument and go for the gold star. My strategy here is to basically just execute the same path through the song as in no powerup case, but you have the flexibility in a couple spots for example its usually a good idea to hit any blast notes you can get to, though theres a lot of leeway here for most gold stars scores (to get optimal run im sure youd need to basically hit every one). Also not a bad idea to be a bit flexible in case you see a overdrive section that is only on one track or not. Then what i do is after reaching the point in each section where i max all the lanes i switch to the super lane (or rarely some other lane) and activate jackpot (which usually will only be half bar or so) and focus on playing perfectly so as not to lose jackpot. Not clear to me yet if blast notes points are subject to jackpoint (i have sense they probably arent) but sometimes you need to let blast notes go by to avoid screwing up jackpot. Also note that lots of times jackpot will cause you to have to stay in teh super lane past teh checkpoint which can change your multi path a bit, you basically just want to be flexible, but its a good reason to try and keep you rjackpot activations short early in the song so as to not put extra pressure on yourself (and risk losing more points) by blowing a jackpot trying to also keep your multi path intact. Keep in mind that though jackpot in the first 2/3rd of the song is nice points, its probably actually more important to keep your multi optimal for the huge points by using jackpot in the last activation at the very end (or even the penultimate one). As rule of thumb whatever your jackpot is worth now, chance are your *next* one is worth even more. Better to do short not many points jackpot early in the song even on non super lane but preserve optimal multi, than to sit on one lane for the section and blow your optimal multi for trebled points when your multi is at a point wehre its not really all that high (compared to last section of the song).

Keep on going like this until towards the end of the song at which point for the last runs of jackpot you want to try and have much longer jackpots (as you are going to be earning so much fraction of your total base points at this point in song), ideally you get to last checkpoint of song with your jackpot bar just filling up and you quickly max the super instrument and play out the jackpot which lasts almost to the end of the song. Because of the 3 second jackpot activation delay its not a bad idea to activate maybe as you are one under the cap. In certain cases maybe there is not much song after the final checkpoint or other reasons, and you might want to activate a bit earlier, and if your super instrument has a pause, then obv you want to go to another track, but keep in mind that the super instrument should probably be the one wiht the most notes *at the end*, so consider if you should use a different instrument as super if there are any really long breaks at the end. note if you break a jackpot and lose it you keep all undrained OD, so if you start a jackpot and immediately chunk it, stay calm and just restart it (maybe grab nearby OD train if there is some), if you choke it at the end of the activation then sadly you are probably SOL. generally in songs wehre ive still gotten gold stars (sometimes easily) ive messed up at least one jackpot in the song, so its not probably necessary by this strategy to get perfect execution if you are just going for gold stars alone.

with this strategy Ive been able to get a bunch of gold stars so far, though im going for songs based on what I want to play so many of them are not focused on the on disc songs yet. Usually with a pretty sloppy run ii can get the jackpot points equal to about 50-75% of the base notes, and on the runs where i have had really good exectution (ie didnt blow a single jackpot run) I can get my jackpot points to exceed my base points. And that is with really playign fast and loose with the specific jackpot activations, in order to really get teh absolute best scores via this strategy family (no idea if other strats like keep pinball going or road rage based ones would ultimately be better on some or all songs), one would want to really drill down into the absolute best times to use jackpot in order to collect as much OD as possible, not waste it, but still get two or so really eqipcally long activations of it at the end of the song, while also achieving maximal multiplier of course.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
k, so, for Cult of Personality, after consistently grinding between 365k and 368k, I can say that I didn't get gold until the end of track tick that brought me to 370k. :p

Really? On the FINAL note for that song, I got a few hundred over 368k and unlocked G*.

Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar is fantastic for that song btw.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
espher  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
espher wrote:

Really? On the FINAL note for that song, I got a few hundred over 368k and unlocked G*.

Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar is fantastic for that song btw.

Okay, then it's somewhere between 368.4 and 368.9, because my high before the previous gold star run was 368.3 iirc. :p

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShiftBreaker wrote:
singemfrc wrote:

Uh...it isn't. Unless there's something different on your game, it's all tier 0 over here.
Upon further examination you're right I mistook a tier 0 for a tier 5. Still an error though, instead of 0 it should be "NO PART". Must be because the game is reading those notes that are in RB3 but for some reason they're discarded in the conversion to Blitz.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragoonXD wrote:
Shout is arguably the hardest GS in the game. Jackpot/Blast Notes/Super Guitar is the way to go. Save your jackpot for the chord sustains on guitar at the end, and you should end up with around 250k from jackpot. The GS cutoff is around 490k.

This is a great strategy that I never would have thought of... I've employed it a few times in other songs that nailed me a gold star too.

In fact on Wicker Man I actually picked super keys and used Jackpot on those chords sustains... You can get so many points for sustain notes, you can turn that into 100K+ if you use it right. I used to curse parts with just a few sustains cause they were annoying to level up, but then I realized, so many points...

Can op update this thread's op? Or maybe a mod? This will be a resource for me over the next few days

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHandle wrote:
I was having trouble with using the "cookie-cutter" methods for Spoonman, and was advised to try Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Bass.

Use bottle rockets constantly throughout the song, use the breaks as areas to change tracks without breaking combo. Preferably use most of your rockets, during the "Spoooonmaaaan! Come together with your hands..." parts, and try and empty your gauge before the bass break before the guitar solo.

Coming out of the bass solo you should have a full bar again, use all your OD in the outro. I got about 20k over the GS cutoff with this method on my first try (I had been playing the song a fair bit previously with other powerups though), with 96/100/100 solos.

I just want to say THANK YOU for this advice. Spoonman was the last GS I needed and switching to this strategy helped me get it on my first try.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I just GS'd Shout, and that Blitz chart can die in a fire. Almost impossible to get anything off of that first level cap increase because of having almost no Bass notes, and there's literally no other way to GS the song without Jackpot + Super Guitar (unless you're one of those crazy people who can Pinball across 5 lanes).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: