FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best powerups
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bront  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDSmith wrote:
One tip I would say is try to avoid using Super Drums if you can, unless it's stupidly obvious that that's the part you should go for (e.g. blink-182). The drum tracks in Blitz seem to miss out the lighter hi-hat/cymbal hits so that what would have been a tier 3 song in RB3 is actually a very slow boring track in Blitz. AFAIK it's the only instrument part that actively misses out notes outside of really fast parts. (Which might explain why Polly has no drum part in RBB.)
Yeah, I was playing "Radiant Light" and there's a section with a fast hi-hat that had 0 notes. I'd expect "Do You Feel Like I do" to have a similar issue.

Generaly, Super Guitar or Super Bass are your best bet, as they tend to have the most notes, and you're around them a lot. Occasionally Drums, Vox, or keys, but it's very song dependent there.

Songs: Just over 1000.
CNS  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got gold stars on Forbidden City using the Bandmate, Flame Note, and Super Bass powerups. Generally speaking, these are the 3 I use most of the time. Sometimes I'll switch Flame Note out for Blast Note or Runaway Note, but it really depends on the song. Since this song is only 3 lanes, it was really easy to basically use Bandmate exclusively for the guitar track on the faster passages, while I could focus on running up the score on drums and bass, especially.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDSmith wrote:
The drum tracks in Blitz seem to miss out the lighter hi-hat/cymbal hits so that what would have been a tier 3 song in RB3 is actually a very slow boring track in Blitz. AFAIK it's the only instrument part that actively misses out notes outside of really fast parts. (Which might explain why Polly has no drum part in RBB.)
It's still a tier 5 even though there are 0 notes though
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blast notes are best unless it is a track w/o a high density of notes, in which case flames notes work really well bc you have all sorts of time to hit them. I live drive by for songs with lots of notes and if a part has heavy sustains in a song you have to use jackpot. Blitz is strange bc sustains score WAAAAAY more than standard notes do. It feels wrong but scores jump stupid high.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
Bront  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some interesting observations:

You can increase your multiplier with notes beyond the gate if you're close. You can use things like Bandmate (it launches when you first start it), Road Rage, or the Rocket (or possibly get lucky and hit a blast note near the boarder). Being aware of this can make a HUGE difference in your scores.

Beyond that, don't underestimate the power of "hitting moar notes". You get into Blitz faster, stay in longer, get better multipliers, etc. Between that, and getting proficient at changing lanes without breaking your streak, you can GS many songs with several different combination of upgrades.

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Beyond that, don't underestimate the power of "hitting moar notes". You get into Blitz faster, stay in longer, get better multipliers, etc. Between that, and getting proficient at changing lanes without breaking your streak, you can GS many songs with several different combination of upgrades.
If it means levelling up, sure; but don't sacrifice OD phrases or blast notes otherwise, they'll get you far more points than the value of the notes by themselves.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:

You can increase your multiplier with notes beyond the gate if you're close. You can use things like Bandmate (it launches when you first start it), Road Rage, or the Rocket (or possibly get lucky and hit a blast note near the boarder). Being aware of this can make a HUGE difference in your scores.

That's something I'd like to see explained in a bit more detail from the people using Jackpot, incidentally.

I can't be the only one who is having trouble getting the Level Cap +3 on every section. Some songs with <5 instruments, it's generally not a problem but with any song with 5 lanes and not a lot of notes, getting that +3 seems virtually impossible on some sections without sleazing using Road Rage / Blast Notes / Bandmate.

Conceptually, I understand why Jackpot works so well because of triple point scores, particularly on lane sustains, but some people are advocating using it on most songs even for sightreads. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Conceptually, I understand why Jackpot works so well because of triple point scores, particularly on lane sustains, but some people are advocating using it on most songs even for sightreads. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

Well i've only started out on the game - due to PAX and other life things ive probably only played for a handful of hours, but i think you are looking at it from the wrong direction. The best points is going to be to use jackpot over a run with no missed notes and where you get perfect multiplier control, so the thing to do is to figure out how to get multiplier optimization done first and then overlay jackpot on top of that. (Granted, of course thats not a sight read, so we agree on that point. in fact I'd argue - and do so in the mechanics thread - that it never makes any sense to use any powerups for a sightread, at least on a double coins basis). Ive been playing each song a few times with no powerups at all and usually i can get optimum multiplier on most songs (its definitely harder with keys but that is such a small portion of the songs anyways, at least for me). Once i get that mastered (or at least where i can see that i probably would have done it if i didnt make a dumb mistake) only then do i move on and make a run with jackpot. Plus you always have blast notes to cheat a bit and close some performance gaps. The only song where im certain that I couldn't execute an optimum section was on 'Complete Control' where there is a section that is mostly a guitar solo and then the other instruments come in right at the last 15 seconds or so with fast sections, esp with the gutiar placed wehre it is, its too hard to switch and what i did was practice just getting +2x for each of these instruments and then when i went back on jackpot/blast run i got 3x due to hitting the two blast notes that appeared here.

For more details I already posted somethign i think in the GS thread i wont repeat my specific strategies here. To me the issue of maxing the score with no powerups at all is probably the most interesting in the game, as it comes very much down to a very pure pursuit of overlaying the progress on individual lanes without as many distractions or randomness. I almost wish there was a separate no powerups leaderboard, as it is sort of depressing to finish a run where i felt really amazing but have no real sense of how good i did relative to others because obv the score is 4* and fairly poor, ranking-wise.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
Icemage wrote:

The best points is going to be to use jackpot over a run with no missed notes and where you get perfect multiplier control, so the thing to do is to figure out how to get multiplier optimization done first and then overlay jackpot on top of that. (Granted, of course thats not a sight read, so we agree on that point. in fact I'd argue - and do so in the mechanics thread - that it never makes any sense to use any powerups for a sightread, at least on a double coins basis).

I agree, but I'm really wondering if it's possible to consistently get level cap +3 on every segment. Based on about 6 hours of on-again-off-again play, I'm leaning toward the answer being "No, not without outside help from a power that breaks more gems" on significant portion of songs.

Because of the way scoring multipliers stack, losing even a single Level Cap +1 early on in a song causes a significant ripple effect in the overall scoring. Using Jackpot may get you a lot of extra points towards the end of a song, but if using Jackpot instead of one of the gem-buster OD powers causes you to miss a level+3, you're also leaving a ton of points on the table that way, depending on what the rest of your loadout looks like.
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of times the jackpot bonuses outweigh the lack of level caps in sections.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
I agree, but I'm really wondering if it's possible to consistently get level cap +3 on every segment. Based on about 6 hours of on-again-off-again play, I'm leaning toward the answer being "No, not without outside help from a power that breaks more gems" on significant portion of songs.

Because of the way scoring multipliers stack, losing even a single Level Cap +1 early on in a song causes a significant ripple effect in the overall scoring. Using Jackpot may get you a lot of extra points towards the end of a song, but if using Jackpot instead of one of the gem-buster OD powers causes you to miss a level+3, you're also leaving a ton of points on the table that way, depending on what the rest of your loadout looks like.

Some songs have checkpoints where it's completely impossible to get a +3 cap on (Shout at the beginning, e.g.).

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
Bront  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Bront wrote:

That's something I'd like to see explained in a bit more detail from the people using Jackpot, incidentally.

I can't be the only one who is having trouble getting the Level Cap +3 on every section. Some songs with <5 instruments, it's generally not a problem but with any song with 5 lanes and not a lot of notes, getting that +3 seems virtually impossible on some sections without sleazing using Road Rage / Blast Notes / Bandmate.

That's why you pair Jackpot with Blast Notes and you go hunting.

I generally don't use Jackpot because I can't seem to hold a streak when I have it active, but when I've tried it, Blast Notes are required to help max out the multiplier.

Beyond that, some songs simply can't be maxed on all instruments every time. Sometimes it's a matter of knowing which sections end first and loading up there, or knowing where different parts are heavier, other times it's simply luck of getting blast notes at the right time.

Example: Shout. The key on the first section is to get Bass up to 2X. You might be able to manage 3X if you never miss a bass note, but I think you give up maxing the other tracks at that point. It requires a lot of shifting and bailing on the sustains on Bass (they're only 1x sustains, so no real harm). Getting Bass up to 2x means the entire song has an extra 1x multiplier. After that, knowing where Keys are heavy, Vox is heavy, and doing a lot of jumping around is key to maxing out when you can (and it won't always happen, I think there's another section or two where you can't max).

I'll do a power breakdown in a separate post.

TheLonging  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like that, in addition to using the right powerups, you nee to perfect the multiplers and max them out as best as you can. i'm sure that if I had my guitar track up one or two more levels, G* would be in my reach.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Bront  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, here's my breakdown of the OD powerups:
Bandmate: Useful for maxing out specific tracks, particularly tricky ones you personally have trouble playing flawlessly. Also not bad for hitting tricky solos. Jumps ahead of you when you trigger it, so if you're just short of a multiplier, you can fire it on that track and get it. Works well with Flame Note (2 different players effectively triggering them), Blast Note (Same as Flame), and Runaway Notes (an extra chaser). Biggest drawback is that it won't change lanes, and runs until you run out of OD, so it can be not the most useful upgrade in some spots (really long solos you can hit, or places where there aren't many instruments). It's also sometimes hard to see if it's active, and it can break your streak if it hits a blast note and you don't catch it in time to stop playing the next note.

Road Rage Bandmate's drunken cousin. Road Rage swerves around and hits notes, starting opposite from where you are and randomly moving around till it runs out of OD. The good news is that it hits a ton of notes and can go even further if it hits OD notes. The bad news is that other than your initial direction, you have no real control over where it goes. Useful with Blast Notes, as it may hit them as it goes, causing even more destruction. The lack of control generally means it's best used in areas where most instruments are busy, and it's not very useful during a solo. However, when it's useful, its possibly the best upgrade in the game (combined with Blast Notes), and can hit notes 30 seconds down the track.

Jackpot A large boost (3X notes played?) IF you don't miss a note while it's active. Very useful at the end of a song, and to people who can pull off long stretches of perfection easily. Works best when you max out the multipliers, so Blast Notes is a good partner with this on 5 lane tracks. Is practically useless if you can't string a streak together.

x2 doubles your multipliers while active. Pretty much standard OD. Because you can miss and still score, it's easier to use than Jackpot, but scores a lot less. IMHO, the above 3 are better.

Bottle Rocket Clears a section of notes ahead of you. Useful for helping with the multiplier and giving you a clear lane to change easily, but won't focus on any particular track, so best used in very busy songs (Spoon Man for example). Situational use at best.

dore  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

I sightread with Jackpot/Blast/Guitar and I never really run into that problem, because the risk (messing up at the end and not taking advantage of jackpot) of using that combo has the same result and going for something else, at least for me. The biggest risk honestly is not knowing where the song is going to end and leaving OD on the table but with a well-played rest of the song you can still squeak a gold star since the last checkpoint is pretty obvious (since the levels are super-quick since the last checkpoint tends to be short). You just have to be really efficient with your leveling and able to nail the ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: