FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Control schemes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Control schemes Reply with quote

Thread for the discussion of the different RBB control options, and what the advantages / disadvantages are of each.

I've been using the default, with the A button and d-pad (usually hitting up) as the inputs. I've had a lot of trouble with fast AAB AAB type parts though, which pop up in a lot of guitar solos, and it also seems to be how most gallops get blitz-ified (see: Devil's Island)
Kane40  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only tested the default, but didn't like it. I now use the Crazy (dunno how it's called in English, my game is in french) one, where triggers/buttons play notes, and D-Pad changes lanes.
I think the advantage for fast gallops (but I'm not used to it yet) is that you can use either LT or LB for the same note (L1/L2 for PS3'ers).
So for the first note, you use LB, then LT (for the AA part) and play the B with either RB or LT.

I hope you understand

< barely, but yay \o/
S8BB-1 League 14th season/p-o semi-finalist
My Acc. Thread / My RB DLC / / GH3H SP sheet ? / Band Acc / X guitar ESL2 : December 10, 2008
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Kane40Be
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In english that control mode is called "freakish". I played with that when I was at PAX East, I think I prefer using my thumbs though.
uSound  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down with freakish, using LB/RB over the triggers. I find it the most comfortable setup with respect to ease of button pressing and track switching (which I do with the d-pad since I feel it's more precise). However, I do find myself accidentally hitting the control stick sometimes causing me to switch tracks unexpectedly. It's never extremely costly though, I think.

On that gallop aspect, I'm pretty sure you can do that. I only double up when they're really fast, or even a long string of fast notes on one side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done alright with regular, though I might start with Freakish because Painkiller got pretty difficult to cope with at points.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first thoughts when I played the demo at PAX East was that I would've liked to see a more advanced control scheme similar to Freakish except where A/B/X/Y also acted as shortcuts to move instantly to one of the four open lanes. I mentioned it to Harmonix as well, but I can understand why it wouldn't happen.

I've been using the default though, but may switch to Freakish as my left thumb hurts after a while on the d-pad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Default w/ the 360 Controller, but I run into the same problems mentioned here (can't do LLR patterns well, thumb starts to get sore after a while).

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakish using the bumpers over the triggers for me. This feels the best, but it also makes my hand start to cramp up after a while, especially playing metal songs for the group goal this week since they tend to have lots of notes.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
Zman10894  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Typewriter mostly. I tried the default and Freakish controls and both of those weren't really good for me. Typewriter makes it easier for me, though, because I'm used to having my buttons played by one hand, leaving my other for switching lanes and using my power-ups

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrMilksop94
JizzleWright  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using shoulders, I always found I was missing a note when I went to deploy the power up and would accidentally press A or would press power-up when I was supposed to press A, also I didn't like using the Xbox controllers D-Pad. I might try out freakish and see how I feel with that though.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the control schemes seem impossible. It's not that it's not necessarily hard to play; it's getting the high scores that are really difficult.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman10894 wrote:
I've been using Typewriter mostly. I tried the default and Freakish controls and both of those weren't really good for me. Typewriter makes it easier for me, though, because I'm used to having my buttons played by one hand, leaving my other for switching lanes and using my power-ups
^ this

mainly because I'm using the Madcatz Portable Drum Brain
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those rare occasions that which console you use makes a big difference. I'm pretty fond of both Typewriter and Default on the PS3 controller, since on the SixAxis/Dual Shock 3 it's a symmetric setup. Really fast runs of chords and solos are a pain on Default, so I think I'll eventually transition to Typewriter for speed and accuracy. I cut my rhythm gaming teeth on Stepmania for PC, so hitting falling notes with index/middle finger is second nature to me.

The uneven sticks and placement of the 360 D-Pad compared to A/B/X/Y would drive me crazy in either control scheme I think (which is why I think so many people in this thread playing on 360 might be preferring Freakish).
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
This is one of those rare occasions that which console you use makes a big difference. I'm pretty fond of both Typewriter and Default on the PS3 controller, since on the SixAxis/Dual Shock 3 it's a symmetric setup. Really fast runs of chords and solos are a pain on Default, so I think I'll eventually transition to Typewriter for speed and accuracy. I cut my rhythm gaming teeth on Stepmania for PC, so hitting falling notes with index/middle finger is second nature to me.

The uneven sticks and placement of the 360 D-Pad compared to A/B/X/Y would drive me crazy in either control scheme I think (which is why I think so many people in this thread playing on 360 might be preferring Freakish).

I was an avid SM player as well, and I didnt even see typewriter and went straight for freakish. It's not that I can't do it one handed (far from it), but I just find it comfortable to be able to hold the controller and not have it resting on something, lest the controller be improperly balanced on the left side.

dore  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from an SM/FFR background as well and I prefer shoulders. It's a little rough on the hands after a while from holding the controller steady but I like being able to play with index and middles in a pretty ergonomic way. Honestly, I think the best control scheme would be askl on keyboard and space for powerups lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: