FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mechanics discussion for Blitz
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

Spent a little time this evening with Rock Band Blitz on PSN, so here's a quick rundown of what I've noticed so far in terms of how the engine behaves, and how scoring works.

- Timing window is very large. I don't know how large, but it feels a lot looser than RB3's 40ms for sure. I'm hitting stuff way early and way late and still getting credit for it.

- You only get the 1/4 energy bar credit for an overdrive phrase if you hit all of the notes in the phrase. I have not verified yet if you get the 1/4 bar at the end of a sustain on an OD phrase (but should be easy to test).

- You can jump from one instrument track to another without penalty as long as you don't miss or overhit, so if two neighboring tracks have alternating notes, you can jump back and forth to hit both and get credit for both.

- I have not tested what happens on songs with simultaneous solos, but as with Rock Band Unplugged, all other instrument track notes disappear when a solo appears.
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
- I have not tested what happens on songs with simultaneous solos, but as with Rock Band Unplugged, all other instrument track notes disappear when a solo appears.
Interesting to note that Satch Boogie (and maybe others) doesn't have the solo appear at any point, despite being largely made up of guitar soloing.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Interesting to note that Satch Boogie (and maybe others) doesn't have the solo appear at any point, despite being largely made up of guitar soloing.

Same thing happens in "If 6 Was 9" and "Hitch a Ride". I honestly can't figure out the statistic of how these songs don't get solos.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

I forget which song I tried a few days ago, but songs with simultaneous solos just have them playing simultaneously while all others lanes are still shut off. Of course, that's assuming Blitz even puts the charts in. Its quite interesting though. Hangar 18 plays none of the 8 guitar solos and as such you can just play whatever you want throughout the song, same with Green Grass. Compare it with Caprici where you play all 4 guitar solos. My guess is that its because said solos in H18 and GGaHT make up a massive percentage of the song themselves (same reason Satch would fall under that same category).

Also fun note about the timing window: it is big enough that you can hit notes that are side-by-side on adjacent instrument lanes without plinking if you're quick enough. Done so a fair few times.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Bront  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
Icemage wrote:
I saw this posted elsewhere, but any song that has a solo that lasts more than 2 minutes (or was it 4?) ignores all solos in that song.

I think the idea is so you don't basically play guitar for 90% of songs like GG&HT

Other notes: Rock Band World goals can sometimes be completed in RB3. Any "Get x stars on these types of songs" goals are playable in RB3, though you do need to own Blitz before you can start to earn coins.

Songs: Just over 1000.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
ShadoWolf wrote:
Icemage wrote:
I saw this posted elsewhere, but any song that has a solo that lasts more than 2 minutes (or was it 4?) ignores all solos in that song.

I think the idea is so you don't basically play guitar for 90% of songs like GG&HT

I think it's more based on percentage of the song that is a solo, since (Random Song) is not even 2 minutes long, but the guitar solo is ignored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Bront wrote:
ShadoWolf wrote:
Icemage wrote:

I think it's more based on percentage of the song that is a solo, since (Random Song) is not even 2 minutes long, but the guitar solo is ignored.

I'd say this is possibly the case. Hangar 18 has a lot of short solos, and they don't appear, whereas Selkies has a solo that exceeds two minutes but does appear.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like Indulgence, where the whole song is marked as a solo?
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanics discussion for Blitz Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
- Timing window is very large. I don't know how large, but it feels a lot looser than RB3's 40ms for sure. I'm hitting stuff way early and way late and still getting credit for it.
That's for sure, I noticed that right away. Makes it much more enjoyable than RBU to me.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
What about something like Indulgence, where the whole song is marked as a solo?

I can confirm that the solo does not appear.

Not that it matters in that case since there's no other lanes to swap to and Pinball/Super Drums gets you way more points than the solo bonus would.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on creators that solo markers do not appear if solos make up 35% of the song.

Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the game this morning and got to play 5 songs (love this game, got me excited about my RB library for first time in well over a year). Is there any ideas yet on how the stars are calculated? I assume (hope) its a single score regardless of powerups chosen, and that its a formula but I am just curious for those of you who were playign it early (lucky bastards) if there is any headway.

Unfortunately, I am doing some travel (PAX!) so i wont be able to play until late int eh weekend, but I fully plan to try and noodle around with exact scores, etc 'at some point'. (maybe try and proof some low star count cutoffs on some songs). The flexibility with the different notetracks being at different multipliers should be very handy though i can guess that blitz points and other bonus points will probably be a huge headache as well.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a looser window might be affecting gameplay a little. Was playing "We Are Young" and during the eight drum hits, I switched back a little late and when I started the rhythm (perfectly on-time as far as I was concerned, egotistical as that might sound), I think the engine thought I was trying to hit the previous note rather than the one that was approaching the hitbox.
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly do the power ups work? Do you have to rebuy them after you complete song? A couple times they seem to save for 2-3 songs, but usually I have to rebuy them after each one

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeachBum187 wrote:
How exactly do the power ups work? Do you have to rebuy them after you complete song? A couple times they seem to save for 2-3 songs, but usually I have to rebuy them after each one

You have to re-purchase powerups every time you play any song, but the game remembers your last powerup configuration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: