FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mechanics discussion for Blitz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bront  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
BeachBum187 wrote:
How exactly do the power ups work? Do you have to rebuy them after you complete song? A couple times they seem to save for 2-3 songs, but usually I have to rebuy them after each one

You have to re-purchase powerups every time you play any song, but the game remembers your last powerup configuration.
It does not after you exit and re-enter the game.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Graf  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
Downloaded the game this morning and got to play 5 songs (love this game, got me excited about my RB library for first time in well over a year). Is there any ideas yet on how the stars are calculated? I assume (hope) its a single score regardless of powerups chosen, and that its a formula but I am just curious for those of you who were playign it early (lucky bastards) if there is any headway.

Unfortunately, I am doing some travel (PAX!) so i wont be able to play until late int eh weekend, but I fully plan to try and noodle around with exact scores, etc 'at some point'. (maybe try and proof some low star count cutoffs on some songs). The flexibility with the different notetracks being at different multipliers should be very handy though i can guess that blitz points and other bonus points will probably be a huge headache as well.

It seems to be exact scores that need to be achieved to reach each ranking, regardless of Powerup configuration

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a configuration of power ups that anyone has found that has maximized score? I have almost unlocked all of them, and am looking for that special combination that makes gold stars possible (or at least easier to get).

I've found that no power ups usually gives me 4 stars no matter how well I do, where power ups obviously make it possible to 5 star, but have not had luck with the gold stars (except for a couple songs). Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
Is there a configuration of power ups that anyone has found that has maximized score? I have almost unlocked all of them, and am looking for that special combination that makes gold stars possible (or at least easier to get).

I've found that no power ups usually gives me 4 stars no matter how well I do, where power ups obviously make it possible to 5 star, but have not had luck with the gold stars (except for a couple songs). Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on the song, really. Single instrument songs are the easiest to figure out, if it's a long song Pinball gives a ridiculous score (see: Wabi Sabi) and for a shorter song flame notes are great. I've been using Bandmate, Blast note, and Super ___ and I've been able to get 5* on a bunch of songs. I think to get gold you need to play the song a lot too, to get a sense of when you should switch to what lane in order to max all of your levels. Perhaps "powerup strategy" should get its own thread.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently found a lot of love for the Road Rage/Bomb combo, although it might not be best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely heavily on Bandmate, Blast Note, and Super ___, especially with five lane songs. I find Bandmate helps me ensure I get my multipliers up for the gate, and I usually drop it on whatever my Super lane is in a heavy section so that I can worry about the rest.

I've also had surprising success with Overdrive (ofc), Bottle Rocket and Flame Note, the latter mainly on songs where the note density isn't insanely high. I don't like Synchro over any of the Supers (and to be frank, the Supers tend to give me such a low bonus point total on non-shreddy songs that I'm tempted to just save the coins), and I've been less than impressed with Jackpot and Shockwave. Can't say I've fiddled with Pinball or that note chasing one at all yet.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Bandmate

While the other overdrive powerups are useful, I do think on any song that doesn't have ridiculously fast OD burn or incredibly short, Bandmate is probably the best OD powerup for score.

It doesn't have the immediate scoring punch of Shockwave or Bottle Rocket, but it's much more consistent and reliable than Pinball, and it makes some Level Cap +3s possible where you otherwise would have little to no chance without a lot of luck with Bomb or whatever. This is extra-true on songs with all 5 instruments, as you basically have zero chance to upgrade all five instruments unless the notes are extremely dense on every track.

Synchrony is pretty useless. I think you get 1000 points every time you swap lanes on a measure marker. I could see this maybe being useful on 2-3 instrument songs like Hanuman, but those songs comprise such a tiny percentage of the catalog that it's really a waste (and you'd still be hard pressed to convince me that Super Bass/Super Guitar wouldn't be a better option on Hanuman).
Zman10894  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been using this combination:

Bottle Rocket or Road Rage
Blast Note
Super _____

Blast Notes are a quick and easy way to get rid of notes. Bottle Rocket or Road Rage do the same too, depending on how many activiations are needed. Super _____ is a given depending on which instrument is mostly played. Pretty much what I need to get GS

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrMilksop94
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the mechanics rather than the favourable choice of powers, I just have to ask...what the hell is with the pinball? Trying it out on Song of the Century managed to boost my score from 37,000-ish to as the record screen says now 586,467. And I'm only 27th on the PS3. That's just an insane increase and it kept going even after the song had finished. This a bug, or is it really that...insane?

EDIT: Did it again, changing only Jackpot to Point Doubler, score is now 687,328, currently 7th. I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah pinball seems a tad OP lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShiftBreaker wrote:
On the subject of the mechanics rather than the favourable choice of powers, I just have to ask...what the hell is with the pinball? Trying it out on Song of the Century managed to boost my score from 37,000-ish to as the record screen says now 586,467. And I'm only 27th on the PS3. That's just an insane increase and it kept going even after the song had finished. This a bug, or is it really that...insane?

EDIT: Did it again, changing only Jackpot to Point Doubler, score is now 687,328, currently 7th. I just don't get it.
Sort of a bug..developers probably just didn't consider it. The pinball "paddle" is exactly one track wide, so for any song with only one track, you can't lose at pinball, therefore you get astronomical scores. I managed 40,000,000+ on one such song.
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Sort of a bug..developers probably just didn't consider it. The pinball "paddle" is exactly one track wide, so for any song with only one track, you can't lose at pinball, therefore you get astronomical scores. I managed 40,000,000+ on one such song.

They definitely did consider it. If you play a one-instrument song you can't get the achievement for having the pinball stay in play for 20 seconds.

WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pass the last checkpoint it's best to just stay on the lane with the highest score. Level everything up is useless as it nets less points than stay in 1 place.

Knowing the last checkpint is crucial for a decent score.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhYYZ wrote:
If you pass the last checkpoint it's best to just stay on the lane with the highest score. Level everything up is useless as it nets less points than stay in 1 place.

Knowing the last checkpint is crucial for a decent score.
Depends. Some songs have breaks in instruments near the end. "Promised Land" for example, has sections where only one instrument is doing anything interesting, so you swap back and forth and can max out nearly everything.

But yes, once every track is maxed, or towards the end of a song, just ride your super instrument and profit.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of notes needed for one multiplier looks to be based on Total notes in the checkpoint divided by the number of measures in the song x2. Meaning your bass and drums will have them at more even intervals to raise the multiplier than the other instruments (as a general rule).

It took me way too long to break my freq habits in this game.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Blitz All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: