FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You've gotta love the easy competition...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that contest sounded fun. I'm sure there's a legal clause in there about anyone who worked on the game not allowed to win, but it would've been cool to see how people did as they tried out.

Yeah, I'm actually located in San Jose for the most part, but I go back to Hayward on weekends. I left my RB set in Hayward for my little brother to play with, so definitely let me know if you're having any RB sessions. =D

I just noticed your location -- now that I know you're from the bay, I bet you were one of the PMS girls to play Halo 3 at my friend's company event, at Patriot Memory. If so, smaaall world!
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
I can't even think of somebody who's singing/voice nobody has ever criticized.....maybe Sinatra? Elvis? 2 people in a billion?

I dunno, I have never been a big fan of Elvis. I just never saw the appeal.

So... ummmm, that makes 1 person in almost 7 billion.

Oh, and you welcome for my helping make your point.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
Wow, that contest sounded fun. I'm sure there's a legal clause in there about anyone who worked on the game not allowed to win, but it would've been cool to see how people did as they tried out.

Yeah, I'm actually located in San Jose for the most part, but I go back to Hayward on weekends. I left my RB set in Hayward for my little brother to play with, so definitely let me know if you're having any RB sessions. =D

I just noticed your location -- now that I know you're from the bay, I bet you were one of the PMS girls to play Halo 3 at my friend's company event, at Patriot Memory. If so, smaaall world!

Probably not me, since I don't really play Halo 3 (I do Guitar Hero and now Rock Band for PMS) but I bet I know who was there. Patriot Memory has been really great to us.

I work near San Jose (Santa Clara) so I'm in the South Bay alot. We have some Norcal gatherings every so often too, but if you wanna get together and play KR/GH/RB anytime after work I'd be down. Just PM me. ^__^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the competition is not quite there for vocals. Just trying to 5 star the main setlist put me in the top 100 for career. A few gold stars and a day of effort and I was suddently top 40.

I've gotten a couple firsts with "random" overdrive usage. My #2 Tom Sawyer score botched the last phrase of the song. I don't put a lick of effort into "squeezing" or other point-centric techniques.

I don't post any of this to gloat, it just seems unusual to me that I can get oustanding-ish rankings with a very half-assed level of effort.

The upside is that I can take my platinum icon online, drop a very average performance, and impress the vast majority of band mates.
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nthing the whole "the competition is not really there yet for vocals" sentiment. I mean, I have a whopping half-dozen gold starred songs, DLC included... and only two FCs... and half the setlist is still on my sightread scores... and I'm still in the top 150? Wilco Tango Foxtrot, indeed. Not sure if it's "the drums and guitar are mega-popular, but singers will come around eventually" or more of a "seriously, most people really aren't that good at 'singing' in a style the game desires"... but either way, it's slim pickings at the moment. (Not that I'm totally complaining at the low-hanging "I can pretend I'm all awesome!" setup. And I just need to clear aside another weekend to synch up my platinum microphone achievement. )

And hey, I also work (and live) in Santa Clara - if it turns out that we are having a South Bay collection of folks, feel free to send a copy of that PM my way, too!

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...I have a feeling that most people who are great singers, won't feel compelled to learn how to sing it properly for rockband to get great scores.

...seems the only people who care are rhythm game junkies (like ourselves) who also happen to be able to sing to some extent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably start doing some of that shit. I can 5 stars most expert vocals, I FCd Dani the other day w/ a band. (I got to put this on rest though because I have a sore throat ATM)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well, considering the number of people right in my home area (Bay Area, CA) just in this thread that are better than me, I'll have to say that the pond is getting bigger by the moment.
Sophrosyne  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
AJayN85 wrote:
For vocalists, it seems like our version of "learn to play a real instrument" comments on YouTube is "you suck at singing but nice score,"

That or, "wtf he's cheating/humming". It's nice to come to SH and have a place to have rational conversations with other Vocal junkies. Most of the top singers on here are pretty supportive of other singers, which is nice. It's definitely hard to gain any kind of respect with though. It's not like Guitar or Drums where someone can just watch you play and the play basically speaks for itself. It just seems like almost no one wants to give credit to someone else for being good at Vocals. Unless you can put up high scores AND have a pleasant singing voice, there seems to be two choices for Vocalists:

1. Sing with the mic muted. No one can hear you, which adds a nice wall of privacy, but just about everyone will think you're cheating in some way, shape or form.

2. Sing with the mic unmuted. Now everyone can hear you, so that should put to bed all the cheating nonsense(although it still doesn't really)but now they say your voice sucks.

I definitely know what you mean. Personally, I'm pretty new to all the leaderboards and ranking stuff. I started singing just for fun and I started doing pretty ok actually Luckily for me, I met some really cool bandmates online and I let them hear me sing (which was nerve wrecking in itself), and they were very cool about it. They actually liked it when I sang. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm a girl and/or I may actually have a tolerable voice lol. Either way, they have been really supportive and have given me a bit of confidence to continue my way down the Expert Vocals Tour. So far, I haven't gotten any of the "OMG YOUR CHEATING" stuff online, and I'm hoping that I won't get any of it =T

There has only been a few guys on XBL who tried to test me and made me sing Timmy like 5x in a row and Enter Sandman, Foreplay Long / Time, and Tom Sawyer in a row all on Expert >_> and some drunk dudes who yelled at me when I beat them in Duels but otherwise it's been fun ^_^

I have one little newbie video up on YouTube which was funny b/c I put it up there since I didn't see any vid for N.I.B. on there. So far people have been ok, except the one guy who said I sound like I'm 8... but I'm still having fun nevertheless

You guys are awesome, really. It's nice to find a little safe haven for vocalists to chat and share their experiences. Not many of my friends do Rock Band vocals and I feel a bit left out. Hopefully I won't be too much of a newbie for you guys lol

and Nickisimo, I remember playing with you some time ago. I was on guitar back then. You have a great voice I hope we get to play together again sometime.

My Expert Vocals Vids / My Rocker Profile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sophrosyne
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophrosyne wrote:

Perhaps it's the fact that I'm a girl and/or I may actually have a tolerable voice lol.

Yay another female RB vocalist!! Now there are like 3 of us...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
Sophrosyne wrote:

Perhaps it's the fact that I'm a girl and/or I may actually have a tolerable voice lol.

And another good one, at that. I think I saw you topping the Leaderboards for one of the DLC songs. Good stuff. =D
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
Sophrosyne  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
pmswedge wrote:
Sophrosyne wrote:

And another good one, at that. I think I saw you topping the Leaderboards for one of the DLC songs. Good stuff. =D

lol thank you ^_^ We definitely need more female vocalists!

My Expert Vocals Vids / My Rocker Profile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sophrosyne
panteraddict  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: You've gotta love the easy competition... Reply with quote

RedTsunami wrote:
Let's face it: Drums and guitar are getting WAY more attention then vocals. Probably because people are afraid to sing, or because they think the don't have any talent or something...

I'll admit, I'm pretty competitive. I played karaoke revolution on-and-off for a while, then rock band came out. Messed around with the vocals...had a good time.

I have discovered that if I really apply myself to a song, I can get in the top 10, and sometimes if I squeeze it, I can get a 1st, like for my score on "Main Offender". Here's how it works:

1st time (never heard song): 4 star
2nd time (understand pitch): 5 star, 500th
a couple times (to find correct OD path): 1-10th place
a bunch of times (correct path and squeezing): Almost guarenteed 1st.

It only seems like there's about 30 or so people who are being hardcore on the leaderboards. As a contrast, lets look at my drum score. After beating "Dead on Arrival" For the 1st time, I ranked around 8000. I don't have a single drum score I've seen that's over 5000 (could improve, but I'm lazy in that area)

Think this'll ever pick up?

I disagree with drums and guitar getting attention. I'm top 30 for guitar on the leaderboards, and I haven't even went through the songs with sp paths. I could easily take top 5, but in gh3 I have squeezed every point I could get out of the game and I'm ranked #13 on expert.

Drums I'm also top 50. I'm a terrible drummer... I can't hit a single drum roll.

Rockband in general doesn't get much attention (or competition anyway).

Best expert FC's: Mother, Carry me home, you really got me, rock this town, laid to rest

My strategy to 5*'ing misirlou... http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28694
Slippy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophrosyne wrote:
lol thank you ^_^ We definitely need more female vocalists!

Hi.

Songs I've been in the Top 10 on XBL: Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Fortunate Son, I'm So Sick, The Kill, Paranoid
My dancing game and singing game videos :X
panteraddict  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women are naturally good at singing... it doesn't make sense to me. ITS NOT FAIR!!!!

Best expert FC's: Mother, Carry me home, you really got me, rock this town, laid to rest

My strategy to 5*'ing misirlou... http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28694
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: