FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You've gotta love the easy competition...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTsunami  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: You've gotta love the easy competition... Reply with quote

Let's face it: Drums and guitar are getting WAY more attention then vocals. Probably because people are afraid to sing, or because they think the don't have any talent or something...

I'll admit, I'm pretty competitive. I played karaoke revolution on-and-off for a while, then rock band came out. Messed around with the vocals...had a good time.

I have discovered that if I really apply myself to a song, I can get in the top 10, and sometimes if I squeeze it, I can get a 1st, like for my score on "Main Offender". Here's how it works:

1st time (never heard song): 4 star
2nd time (understand pitch): 5 star, 500th
a couple times (to find correct OD path): 1-10th place
a bunch of times (correct path and squeezing): Almost guarenteed 1st.

It only seems like there's about 30 or so people who are being hardcore on the leaderboards. As a contrast, lets look at my drum score. After beating "Dead on Arrival" For the 1st time, I ranked around 8000. I don't have a single drum score I've seen that's over 5000 (could improve, but I'm lazy in that area)

Think this'll ever pick up?

You're sick.
1. [] 5* TtFatF (only 4* so far)
2. [X] Beat expert drums before kick pedal breaks.
3. [X] Beat expert 5* guitar (Nov 3rd, 2007)
4. X[] Get sigged (WOOT! [damn, I missed])
SIG COUNT: 3 times! <o_0<
Kataris  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 30 here or XBL leaderboards?
Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly. Then it'll be, "Well, maybe I can press the pedal with my forehead..." I'd be in a full-body cast at that rate. I can just see myself all wrapped up on a hospital bed in the dark. "I'm...a...high...way...star..." *sniffle*
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Vocal leaderboards were basically barren when I started working on my scores. I spent about 3 days doing nothing but Solo Vocal Tour trying to get to 10 million. Once I got there, I just kept working on it, going for 10.5. I got as high as 3rd I think, and then all of a sudden a ton of people showed up(basically violinhero and Ajay) and once I saw that, I stopped trying. In my opinion, Expert Vocals are already removed enough from actual singing without adding complicated squeeze patterns to it, but I don't mean to take anything away from those better than me. They are better and they deserve to be on top.

So now I just do band stuff, drums(still suck at that), ES challenges, etc.
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vocals will pick up, eventually. It's only natural that guitarists and drummers will eventually start learning the melodies and lyrics to the songs they're accompanying and give it a go on the mic. I've seen Wulfe post on the vocal boards a few times, DraktyrExodus is up there on a few songs, along with ParadigmShift, so it's only a matter of time. Besides, when people realize how soft many of the song leaderboards are after a sight-read FC and a top 100 placing, they'll start popping up here and there like they have been in the past month.

Naturally, the market is saturated with guitarists thanks to GH, and everyone wants to try drums because it's new and more similar to the real instrument than the guitar, so those two instruments get all the initial attention. With KR: American Idol Encore coming soon for the next-gen systems, cross-over fans of the KR games will hopefully start paying attention to Rock Band's offerings.

It's been a lot of fun (and frustration when OD doesn't activate before a squeeze...) climbing the charts, day by day -- I've honestly never been so motivated to get better at a game, despite my incremental progress over the past week. I've been hinting at one of the secrets to my quick success with Rock Band's Vocals in my Gamer Bio and Rock Band in-game profile... but to be more direct, try Google searching "A-Jay Nicolas" and see what results pop up on the front page. I think I can safely say I've played more Karaoke Revolution and understand this Vocals engine better than anyone out there that hasn't worked for Harmonix. ;)

Nickisimo: I hate figuring out squeeze patterns as much as you do, if not more. I spent today squeaking out another 10k on songs that just needed OD tinkering. If anything, I wish we had a PRACTICE MODE that was as robust as the other instruments, IMPROVED TALKY PARTS (especially Sabotage and Timmy), and AN OVERDRIVE BUTTON ON THE CONTROLLER (OMG!!!). Don't give up -- the most rewarding parts of the climb have all been past the 10 mil mark for me. You might surprise yourself with the kind of progress you can make in an hour on a song or two. Friendly competition is always welcome; that's what Leaderboards are for. =)
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
rabies  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:

It's been a lot of fun (and frustration when OD doesn't activate before a squeeze...) climbing the charts, day by day -- I've honestly never been so motivated to get better at a game, despite my incremental progress over the past week. I've been hinting at one of the secrets to my quick success with Rock Band's Vocals in my Gamer Bio and Rock Band in-game profile... but to be more direct, try Google searching "A-Jay Nicolas" and see what results pop up on the front page. I think I can safely say I've played more Karaoke Revolution and understand this Vocals engine better than anyone out there that hasn't worked for Harmonix. ;)

You should share some of your insider knowledge! ;)

I'm in the same boat as nick..once I hit 10 mil, I ran out of gas on trying for top scores. I got overly frustrated on a couple things when trying to go for #1 scores

1. On more than one song, singing the way the game wants you to sing sounds awful.
2. I think some talky parts are flat out busted (OW! in next to you anyone?)
3. I hate the inconsistancy. I swear on some phrases there is way more leniency on expert than others. There are some where I am flat out wrong at first, correct myself part way through, and I still get the awesome (hitting maybe 80% of hte green lines). There are other phrases where if I don't start singing early, I'll only get a strong..as you pretty much have to hit 97% of the green lines to get awesome.

So I only sing for points now in heavy petting zoo...on songs where I have to in order to do well. I much prefer singing on hard where I can sing the song karaoke style and get 100% on a regular basis. Or singing on expert and just accepting that my normal singing is not going to net me awesomes all the time.

EDIT: and I agree 100% on OD button on the controller. I am getting tired of running out of breath on some songs because I have to sing/say something between short phrases to activate OD when I really need a breath.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I feel like singing - like, for entertainment and not for scoring - with friends who aren't Expert level players and who are also just looking to have a good time, then I move down to Hard and Medium and enjoy myself. Expert is much more like playing a game where your voice is the controller rather than singing well. For vocalists, it seems like our version of "learn to play a real instrument" comments on YouTube is "you suck at singing but nice score," which is a shame since people don't understand why playing Vocals on Expert isn't really singing.

As for insider information, all the QA to Developer conversation is protected by NDA, so you won't get to hear any of that, unless it becomes public knowledge through another outlet. I do have a few tips for the Vocals engine that I might compile into a mini-FAQ as they come to mind.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
For vocalists, it seems like our version of "learn to play a real instrument" comments on YouTube is "you suck at singing but nice score,"

That or, "wtf he's cheating/humming". It's nice to come to SH and have a place to have rational conversations with other Vocal junkies. Most of the top singers on here are pretty supportive of other singers, which is nice. It's definitely hard to gain any kind of respect with though. It's not like Guitar or Drums where someone can just watch you play and the play basically speaks for itself. It just seems like almost no one wants to give credit to someone else for being good at Vocals. Unless you can put up high scores AND have a pleasant singing voice, there seems to be two choices for Vocalists:

1. Sing with the mic muted. No one can hear you, which adds a nice wall of privacy, but just about everyone will think you're cheating in some way, shape or form.

2. Sing with the mic unmuted. Now everyone can hear you, so that should put to bed all the cheating nonsense(although it still doesn't really)but now they say your voice sucks.
rabies  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nickisimo"]
AJayN85 wrote:
For vocalists, it seems like our version of "learn to play a real instrument" comments on YouTube is "you suck at singing but nice score,"

People in general are very opinionated/harsh on vocalists....hell this reason alone is why that show American Idol is probably so popular.

Fact is that 98% of the population cannot sing well enough to warrant being recorded..but that does not mean 98% of the population won't criticize when somebody tries - even if (especially if) they cannot sing worth a hill of beans themselves.

Even professional vocalists get slammed. Look no further than these forums. How many times have we complained about so and so cover sucking because the cover vocals blow? Bottom line is the guy that sang the cover version of Tom Sawyer in this game did a significantly better job than I could ever hope to do..and he deserves props for that.

We've become so jaded that anything less than a flawless spectacular performance is criticized. Then there is also the matter of personal taste....Geddy Lee sings his songs perfectly....but there are tons of people out there whose opinion is that his voice sucks and can't stand listening to them.

I can't even think of somebody who's singing/voice nobody has ever criticized.....maybe Sinatra? Elvis? 2 people in a billion?

I have all the respect for those of you with the balls to put videos up of you singing. I've never bothered because I know the negative comments would probably bother me greatly....and not matter how awesome a job I did..I am 100% positive there will be negative comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
I have all the respect for those of you with the balls to put videos up of you singing. I've never bothered because I know the negative comments would probably bother me greatly....and not matter how awesome a job I did..I am 100% positive there will be negative comments.

Yeah, it just ended up being too negative for my tastes. I was being cut down by people for over a month or so, and I really tried to cater to what they were asking for and it still wasn't enough. I took a lot of it with a grain of salt in the beginning, but it just never let up. When other singers started ripping me, saying things that were extremely uncalled for considering I was minding my own business, I had enough. I guess the whole thing taught me to be a little more guarded, even on SH unfortunately. I'm playing muted the rest of the way; people can think what they want.

I was never doing it for competition - just showing my passion for the game to other people - but there's always people who can't stand the idea that someone might be better than them at something and they lash out.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....

Depending on the song, I oftentimes will just flat out sing. Foreplay/Longtime comes to mind... that's probably why I love playing that song so much - because I can actually just flat out sing it and it works out.

I have been thinking of making videos; what kind of criticism are you getting? Stuff like "you suck at singing"? Because that kind of stuff I can handle fine, I know I'm not a spectacular singer.

A-Jay you might be one of the few people who has played more KR than me! Though I'm still not sure about that, haha! I definitely have played some ridiculous amounts of that series - I even had a friend who worked on it; he introduced me to the Wavegroup guys since I was such a fan of the games. Heck, I listened to country music for a while just so I could do KR Country. ;)

I do think that vocals will pick up eventually, especially since there are alot of people out there that love to sing; they just tend not to run with the videogame crowd. I competed in a KR: AI competition here in SF a while back and while I got like 99% on the song (thanks to so much practice with the series), someone randomly came along and FC'ed it first try despite never having played the game before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
A-Jay you might be one of the few people who has played more KR than me! Though I'm still not sure about that, haha! I definitely have played some ridiculous amounts of that series - I even had a friend who worked on it; he introduced me to the Wavegroup guys since I was such a fan of the games. Heck, I listened to country music for a while just so I could do KR Country. ;)

Haha, wow, I never got to meet the Wavegroup guys, but one of the testers on the original KR got to sing the cover for "China Grove" on Karaoke Revolution 3. I was hoping that after I finished my music degree I might be able to lay down a cover for one of the KR songs, but now that Konami has left Redwood City, it won't happen.

I think that's a contributing reason to why I get stuck singing Rock Band Vocals for hours on end. Playing KR for six to eight hours a day for three months, I think some of those work conditions have crept into my gaming habits for RB. =)

pmswedge wrote:
I competed in a KR: AI competition here in SF a while back and while I got like 99% on the song (thanks to so much practice with the series), someone randomly came along and FC'ed it first try despite never having played the game before.

Oh wow, there was a competition in SF for that game? Man, I wish I could've come out and watched. I don't often meet other people who are fans of the KR series, so that would have been cool to see how many other people have really enjoyed the game over the last few years.

Sidenote: I got to test KR: AI Encore for a weekend. I told the producers that I've said it for every new addition to the line, but this year's song list is very, very good. I only got to play the PS2 version for an extended amount of time, so I don't know for sure what the new next-gen system features are, but the songs are really, really fun and many of them go hand-in-hand with the staple songs you see on the TV show. I should go ask my friend at Konami LA if I still get a free copy of the game. =D
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
Sidenote: I got to test KR: AI Encore for a weekend. I told the producers that I've said it for every new addition to the line, but this year's song list is very, very good. I only got to play the PS2 version for an extended amount of time, so I don't know for sure what the new next-gen system features are, but the songs are really, really fun and many of them go hand-in-hand with the staple songs you see on the TV show. I should go ask my friend at Konami LA if I still get a free copy of the game. =D

Hey I've been looking at that one to maybe extend my singing fun, and I was wondering what the song list was. Or at least as many as you can share. This isn't exactly a high profile title.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Jackalamo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
AJayN85 wrote:

You should share some of your insider knowledge! ;)

I'm in the same boat as nick..once I hit 10 mil, I ran out of gas on trying for top scores. I got overly frustrated on a couple things when trying to go for #1 scores

1. On more than one song, singing the way the game wants you to sing sounds awful.
2. I think some talky parts are flat out busted (OW! in next to you anyone?)
3. I hate the inconsistancy. I swear on some phrases there is way more leniency on expert than others. There are some where I am flat out wrong at first, correct myself part way through, and I still get the awesome (hitting maybe 80% of hte green lines). There are other phrases where if I don't start singing early, I'll only get a strong..as you pretty much have to hit 97% of the green lines to get awesome.

So I only sing for points now in heavy petting zoo...on songs where I have to in order to do well. I much prefer singing on hard where I can sing the song karaoke style and get 100% on a regular basis. Or singing on expert and just accepting that my normal singing is not going to net me awesomes all the time.

EDIT: and I agree 100% on OD button on the controller. I am getting tired of running out of breath on some songs because I have to sing/say something between short phrases to activate OD when I really need a breath.
your so amazing at singing O___O

Note: on the HPZ videos, hold down the right or left trigger so we actually here you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Macaron11
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenzombie013 wrote:
Hey I've been looking at that one to maybe extend my singing fun, and I was wondering what the song list was. Or at least as many as you can share. This isn't exactly a high profile title.

The Wiki for the game has these songs listed: (partial list)

1. "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden
2. "Black Velvet" Alannah Myles
3. "Close My Eyes Forever" Ozzy Osbourne
4. "Every Little Step" Bobby Brown
5. "Glamorous" Fergie
6. "Gotta Get Thru This" Daniel Bedingfield
7. "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" Fuel
8. "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew
9. "Irreplaceable" Beyoncé
10. "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" Billy Joel
11. "Midnight Train to Georgia" Gladys Knight and the Pips
12. "My Heart Will Go On" Celine Dion
13. "September" Earth Wind & Fire
14. "Unfaithful" Rihanna
15. "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" Whitney Houston
16. "You're Beautiful" James Blunt

I can neither confirm, nor deny any of the songs on this list. You can blame the NDA on that. =D The gaming industry is very particular about their NDAs, as I'm sure the ScoreHero staff is aware from visiting HMX Studios every year, so I can only provide you what's public knowledge.

Whoever compiled this list guessed at song titles based on in-game screenshots that have been released, so you can cross-reference the list with the screenshots posted here if you want to confirm any of the songs for yourself.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
hiddenzombie013 wrote:

The Wiki for the game has these songs listed: (partial list)

1. "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden
2. "Black Velvet" Alannah Myles
3. "Close My Eyes Forever" Ozzy Osbourne
4. "Every Little Step" Bobby Brown
5. "Glamorous" Fergie
6. "Gotta Get Thru This" Daniel Bedingfield
7. "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" Fuel
8. "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew
9. "Irreplaceable" Beyoncé
10. "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" Billy Joel
11. "Midnight Train to Georgia" Gladys Knight and the Pips
12. "My Heart Will Go On" Celine Dion
13. "September" Earth Wind & Fire
14. "Unfaithful" Rihanna
15. "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" Whitney Houston
16. "You're Beautiful" James Blunt

I can neither confirm, nor deny any of the songs on this list. You can blame the NDA on that. =D The gaming industry is very particular about their NDAs, as I'm sure the ScoreHero staff is aware from visiting HMX Studios every year, so I can only provide you what's public knowledge.

Whoever compiled this list guessed at song titles based on in-game screenshots that have been released, so you can cross-reference the list with the screenshots posted here if you want to confirm any of the songs for yourself.

Sold. I'm SO buying this game.

There was a nationwide contest for KR: AI, and the winning prize was a trip to see American Idol getting filmed in LA. They took videos of all the contestants and the top scorers from each city were voted on, AI-style.

A-Jay are you in the bay area? If so we should get together for some RB/KR fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: