FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7/10 DLC: Daughtry 3-Pack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
One was in reference to a span of DLC, the other is in reference to this week's DLC. One is personal "it bores me" while the other is an observation "This looks boring." It's like asking what's the difference between "This fucking sucks" and "I don't like this." One is pig-headed and obnoxious while the other is an actual statement. Sure, maybe it's semantics, but how you express your opinion is as valuable as the opinion itself.

And I'M the one being sarcastic and condescending? Hold on, let me pull these quotes from Yak and Pieman to see what level of "class" I'm working with here
:...
And I'm a dick for calling people "entitled brats." Yeah, okay.

Fair enough, I can understand/agree with that. I just didn't see the outrage because it's not as blatant as it could've been. I know I among others have been guilty of phrasing it such as that before "this DLC is really just not doing anything for me" and I certainly don't think we are entitled just because of that. Maybe if someone had said "This DLC is objectively bad" you'd have a case (ignoring psymatiq and his usual posts), but really no one said that. So cool your jets.

As for the sarcasm/condescension: Not sure if you understood what I was getting at by saying "high road." That means to continue to be civil even faced with people who try to rile you up. When you feed into them too much you lose credibility (and lets be honest, they wouldn't try to get your goat in the first place if you weren't sarcastic from the start). Saying "look at the level of class I"m dealing with" is like saying "well they're throwing shit too so why not me!" If you feel ScoreHero is below you as far as sensibility/maturity etc, you're welcome to take your thoughts elsewhere. I don't mean to offend, just telling it how I see it.

Anyway, the interesting thing about Daughtry is like what Kris said, he is actually a good singer and I did watch the season of American Idol he was a part of. The funniest part is one of my favorite bands ever, Shinedown, has a singer with a similar voice to Daughtry. I'm sure some of you hate Shinedown and would tell me they are generic (though listen to their first 2 albums before you say that), but I think this is a good example of how songwriting can make 2 similar voices have very different effects and appeal to different people. My dad likes Daughtry, so I did purchase their CD for him in 2007. Other than that, fairly bland. Compare that to how much I love Shinedown... buying every CD and seeing them twice. Interesting.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
sukergod  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin, there has to come to a point where even you have to get sick of everyone always arguing with you about the same old tired issue. Like c'mon please just drop it. people are going to complain about what they want and no one here (at least the 20 odd people posting here) care if you dont like it. I'm not going to lie but its like feeding the troll and you sir are that troll. You get so out of shape about it that it's just a matter of time till you come here and wall of text everyone to death.

To me it all comes down to how you dont like people wining about the HMX DLC and that it's a business and so on and on, but what is scorehero without people complaining about something they put so much into everyday, money and time. If you don't like it than leave, but nobody is going to stop and nobody should have to no matter how muvh some of your posts have a lot of truth to it. You have continued to do the same old thing so much that nobody cares now if you make a good point. I'm sorry my friend but you have ruined this for yourself. We just don't care anymore. Now it's just a game to get you all bent out of shape.

I am not saying this to piss you off, I just want you to step outside the situation and see it for what it really is, annoying!

Any ways, Daughtry sucks. I would have gotten "What I Want" and "It's Not Over" is ok so I may pick that one up but still, Id take more Nickelback instead
uSound  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daughtry is the voice of our generation and I'm glad he's gracing us with his representation in the RB library.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I did like Chris Daughtry's voice, but man, I wish he didn't enter American Idol. Going on that show is like bringing your original copy of the Declaration of Independence to Pawn Stars and having Rick give you $200 bucks and them Chumlee eats the paper it was on. If you go on Idol and make it big, you get a contract to push out a big top 40 album as quickly as possible that sells a ton of records with the teen and/or adult contemporary crowds. Daughtry is just, in TQSG's words, "Macho man rock that still has feeling" (or something like that). Might as well be listening to Fuel or something.

tl;dr His voice is good but he got stuck in an American Idol band and nothing's going to change that. I liked Taylor Hicks too and of course he's dropped off the face of the earth. Might as well call the show "15 minutes of fame".
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
DragoonXD  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
I have to say I did like Chris Daughtry's voice, but man, I wish he didn't enter American Idol. Going on that show is like bringing your original copy of the Declaration of Independence to Pawn Stars and having Rick give you $200 bucks and them Chumlee eats the paper it was on. If you go on Idol and make it big, you get a contract to push out a big top 40 album as quickly as possible that sells a ton of records with the teen and/or adult contemporary crowds. Daughtry is just, in TQSG's words, "Macho man rock that still has feeling" (or something like that). Might as well be listening to Fuel or something.

tl;dr His voice is good but he got stuck in an American Idol band and nothing's going to change that. I liked Taylor Hicks too and of course he's dropped off the face of the earth. Might as well call the show "15 minutes of fame".

I agree I did like his voice, but AI sent him on a path to pop-rock mediocrity.

And not everything associated with American Idol is bad. Leslie Hunt went on to front a damn good prog metal band after AI.

PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragoonXD wrote:
And not everything associated with American Idol is bad. Leslie Hunt went on to front a damn good prog metal band after AI.

I've never heard of her so she probably wasn't a front-runner and was free to do something fun instead. Then again I have not watched the show in many years so I don't have a lot of knowledge of any of the seasons post like...Taylor Hicks or Carrie Underwood.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
Mystakin, there has to come to a point where even you have to get sick of everyone always arguing with you about the same old tired issue. Like c'mon please just drop it. people are going to complain about what they want and no one here (at least the 20 odd people posting here) care if you dont like it. I'm not going to lie but its like feeding the troll and you sir are that troll. You get so out of shape about it that it's just a matter of time till you come here and wall of text everyone to death.

To me it all comes down to how you dont like people wining about the HMX DLC and that it's a business and so on and on, but what is scorehero without people complaining about something they put so much into everyday, money and time. If you don't like it than leave, but nobody is going to stop and nobody should have to no matter how muvh some of your posts have a lot of truth to it. You have continued to do the same old thing so much that nobody cares now if you make a good point. I'm sorry my friend but you have ruined this for yourself. We just don't care anymore. Now it's just a game to get you all bent out of shape.

I am not saying this to piss you off, I just want you to step outside the situation and see it for what it really is, annoying!

Any ways, Daughtry sucks. I would have gotten "What I Want" and "It's Not Over" is ok so I may pick that one up but still, Id take more Nickelback instead

Aside from a flippant/sarcastic comment here or there, I didn't insult anyone directly. The people I've been arguing with are the clear aggressors, and yet I'm labeled as the one out of control? I find it funny that people can be a real asshole as long as they're on the "right" side of the argument. I understand that my opinion isn't the norm, but silencing it isn't the solution. Telling someone to straighten up and just act like everyone else is never the solution. Providing an argument and discussion is the solution and, short of Hailz, no one seems to do that without taking pot shots at me or my character.

It's not that I don't like people whining about HMX DLC, it's that I don't like people whining. It especially bothers me when they whine about things that are straight up false(Like that there's only been modern/radio/generic rock the past 2 months besides Maiden). I'm just trying to promote a little bit of empathy and say "hey, maybe you should consider HMX's position on why these songs are being released before you cry fowl about how many weeks of DLC you've hated." SH feels very self-centered, very "well, what have you done for me lately?" in these threads especially, and I know it's better than that. I wouldn't stick around if I didn't.

Hailz, we'll have to disagree about the comments. I see what you mean with the high road, but here's the thing. Why are you telling ME to to take the high road and not the people slinging mud? Why do they get a free pass and no mention of their insults that are much more severe than anything I brought up? Why am I the one making the mistake that needs correcting and they aren't? Why not ALL parties involved should clean up their act (myself included) instead of just the one with the controversial opinion.

Last edited by Mystakin on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
Why are you telling ME to to take the high road and not the people slinging mud?

If you do not understand how your first two posts in this thread are the cause of the conflict, I don't really see how anyone here is going to be able to explain it to you.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
Why are you telling ME to to take the high road and not the people slinging mud? Why do they get a free pass and no mention of their insults that are much more severe than anything I brought up? Why am I the one making the mistake that needs correcting and they aren't? Why not ALL parties involved should clean up their act (myself included) instead of just the one with the controversial opinion.

To finally enter the thread on a serious note, I think I have to agree with this. Everyone involved in this conversation could probably show a little more respect towards each other. We're a rhythm gaming community (and since we're smaller now than years ago, I'd venture to say a tight-knit one), not representatives attempting to chart the course of the future. We should be having fun, not partaking in heated argument.

As an aside, I'm neutral on the DLC, I agree with the idea of seeing why Harmonix does what they do (not even sure if that's grammatically correct but you get the idea), but I can also see the appeal in saying something if DLC doesn't appeal to you- after all, if no one speaks up, you never get what you want (well, theoretically. Harmonix is pretty good about pleasing everyone.)

Eh, I kind of sound like a goody two-shoes with what I'm saying, but I hope you all get the idea. You're all cool people with different opinions. I don't think we need to hate on anyone or any group for that.

EDIT:

blingdomepiece wrote:
If you do not understand how your first two posts in this thread are the cause of the conflict, I don't really see how anyone here is going to be able to explain it to you.

I do agree that he was the cause of the conflict, but I don't think he meant for it to escalate to this in such a manner. In fact, I feel like the first post was more jokey than anything. The second post maybe not so much, but yeah.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Mystakin wrote:
Why are you telling ME to to take the high road and not the people slinging mud?

My first post was sarcastic and admittedly immature, but nothing in either of my posts should have lead to accusations that I want on HMX's payroll, that all I am is an RBN shill, and that I'm just "deepthroating HMX as usual." None of those have anything to do with the argument at hand and are simply personal attacks on me and attempts to devalue my opinion. I understand how my posts lead to comments by inv4der and Joe, but I don't see how criticism of the community should lead to being marginalized and attacked. I certainly don't see why it's okay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second post reads like something that you'd been practicing in the mirror for a week and were just waiting for the opportunity to bust it out. I understand the constant frustration with the unnamed masses that post the same thing week after week, but coming out of the gate like that was only going to lead the thread in one direction. I think that part of the reason it's receiving so much attention this time is that the other side of the coin is accounted for so often by (/naming names on) the likes of FL4RE and kris each week that it's white noise now.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please Mystakin, don't act like you're the victim here. You bring this on yourself by essentially acting like you're looking for trouble. And then you try to make out that it isn't your fault no one agrees with you?

Don't expect me to be civil with someone who loves condescending others. I mean hell, I'll play nice with pretty much any other forum member here. But I don't like you, so I'll be a dick to you. And whilst you don't care at all about that fact, it should at least explain why I wrote what I wrote.

Also fUNC, be reasonable. I think mentioning my name and exaggerating the fact that I supposedly religiously hate every single DLC out there now is a bit much don't you? Remove my name from your post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
I certainly don't see why it's okay.

I guess I'm going back to figure out what is the first point where somebody civil got jumped on and there isn't really anything, it started contentiously. If you make a reasoned entry into a topic with a post that sticks with the facts and doesn't draw any personal conclusions about people holding the other view (e.g. entitlement or not knowing what they are talking about), and then people jump on you, I will not consider it okay (assuming I notice or someone reports it).

Otherwise if two parties both seem somewhat "at fault", it becomes a question of trying to figure out which 30% is over the line and which 70% should be allowed to stay. And acknowledging some of the posts taking shots at you were definitely more over the line, in the end I've just left it all as not the best example of decorum, and I'm chalking it up to the heatwave.

If everyone could be a little nicer for the next couple of days then this can stay unlocked until Tuesday, otherwise, not.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I guess I'm going back to figure out what is the first point where somebody civil got jumped on and there isn't really anything, it started contentiously.

I admit that I wasn't exactly the model student at the start of the conversation, but it was all in service of the argument. I called people entitled (a word I didn't use originally, I should note) because that's what my accusation was. I said people didn't know what they were talking about because I provided information that discredited their complaints. Was I an ass about it, certainly, but I never attacked someone out of spite or just because I could. The latter is what I got in response (from some people, inv4der and Hailz had very reasonable responses imo).

I think there's a big difference between having a point and being an ass about it (something I'm very guilty of) and blatantly attacking someone because you don't like them.

FL4RE wrote:
Then you try to make out that it isn't your fault no one agrees with you?
Perfect example of making up a fake argument to make me look foolish. I take issue with the personal attacks, not that people don't agree with me. Anyone who has read my posts logically should be able to realize that as I have stated it over and over again.

Don't expect me to be civil with someone who loves condescending others.
Don't expect me to be civil with someone who discredits others.

But I don't like you, so I'll be a dick to you.
I don't like you either, but I don't use that as justification to mock you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This argument is stupid and should just end. Just please get over it and shut the hell up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: