FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
6/26 DLC: Carrie Underwood 3-Pack!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Harmonix trying to appeal to all the wives and girlfriends out there, a smart move. The country music genre is somewhat unbalanced as it is in Rock Band so it's good to see some variety.
)

REALLY? Country music not being balanced out in Rock Band? Color me shocked. I've had some fun with country tracks on Rock Band in the past, but Carrie Underwood is beyond awful and I will never, ever buy this pack or any song therein.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
Harmonix trying to appeal to all the wives and girlfriends out there, a smart move. The country music genre is somewhat unbalanced as it is in Rock Band so it's good to see some variety.
)

REALLY? Country music not being balanced out in Rock Band? Color me shocked. I've had some fun with country tracks on Rock Band in the past, but Carrie Underwood is beyond awful and I will never, ever buy this pack or any song therein.

(not sure if sarcasm... but I'll work off you being serious since other people have expressed similar thoughts)

For the HMX store, Country has 70 songs; less than half of Rock(241), Classic Rock (224), Metal (214), Alternative (209), and Pop-Rock(167). I think you can imagine how RBN would further skew those numbers. This is true despite 42% of the US population being country music fans and the US having nearly 2,000 Country radio stations. Yes, Country is underrepresented and unbalanced in Rock Band.

Fun fact about RBN: Metal has 613 songs, Rock has 401, and everything else(which includes indie rock, pop-rock, punk, etc.) is 821. Metal + Rock > Everything else in numbers, substantially. How's that for variety.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
krisdaschwab912 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
)

(not sure if sarcasm... but I'll work off you being serious since other people have expressed similar thoughts)

For the HMX store, Country has 70 songs; less than half of Rock(241), Classic Rock (224), Metal (214), Alternative (209), and Pop-Rock(167). I think you can imagine how RBN would further skew those numbers. This is true despite 42% of the US population being country music fans and the US having nearly 2,000 Country radio stations. Yes, Country is underrepresented and unbalanced in Rock Band.

Fun fact about RBN: Metal has 613 songs, Rock has 401, and everything else(which includes indie rock, pop-rock, punk, etc.) is 821. Metal + Rock > Everything else in numbers, substantially. How's that for variety.

You're missing the point here, that being the age-old argument that country has no place in Rock Band. I'm not saying that (again, I enjoyed a lot of the other country songs in the past); I'm saying in this particular instance that Carrie Underwood has no place in Rock Band because she does not rock in any capacity.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
Mystakin wrote:
krisdaschwab912 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
)

You're missing the point here, that being the age-old argument that country has no place in Rock Band. I'm not saying that (again, I enjoyed a lot of the other country songs in the past); I'm saying in this particular instance that Carrie Underwood has no place in Rock Band because she does not rock in any capacity.

And she will not take a place in YOUR catalog of Rock Band. However, as it turns out, Harmonix doesn't decide DLC choices based on what Internet forum regular krisdaschwab912 thinks "rocks." Carrie Underwood clearly has a place in other players' catalogs of Rock Band. Judging from sales, the public seems to believe Underwood belongs in Rock Band more than, if not equal to, Dream Theater and Opeth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
I'm saying in this particular instance that Carrie Underwood has no place in Rock Band because she does not rock in any capacity.
ROCK BAND IS NOT JUST ABOUT ROCK MUSIC, ROCKING OUT, OR BEING A ROCK STAR.(well I guess kinda the last one, but point still stands.)

In a slightly calmer addition, some of Carrie Underwood's music do have quite a few elements of rock music in it. Don't assume that since it's under the incredibly wide blanket term "country music" that it's all hillybilly acoustic honky-tonk stuff like "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy". And seriously, lighten up. It's one week, I'm sure HMX will satisfy your rock/metal/hardcore preferences sometime, or hell, just go to RBN, there's a shitload of that there.
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one who wants more of the two actually successful American Idol winners.

I mean come on. It's the internet. Who the fuck cares if you threw away your man card.

krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated my opinion, and that's that. Because if I say anything about that comparison regarding Carrie Underwood, Dream Theater and Opeth, then I'll probably get scolded by everybody.

EDIT: I just remembered that the player in my avatar is Brandon Underwood (as seen on his jersey). That's pretty funny.
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
I stated my opinion, and that's that.

I mean no disrespect - well, no more disrespect than normal - but a more fully-qualified version of your post would be "I stated my opinion in a pointlessly pig-headed and self-aggrandizing fashion". Kindly take the opportunity to re-read what you wrote:

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
Carrie Underwood has no place in Rock Band because she does not rock in any capacity.

If there were (a) some sort of mythical objective Units of Rock and (b) Harmonix used said units to determine which artists should be in the game, this statement might carry more weight. "Well, the Anderson & Hester model scores one of her songs in the low twenties, but the Boyce-Codd Normalized Rock Algorithm suggests a maximum score of no more than twelve. krisdaschwab912 is right: this artist does not meet the game's minimum rock threshold."

But no such system exists. So your statement more or less boils down to "I dislike Carrie Underwood". Which is fine! It's a free country. (I have no marked opinion about Carrie Underwood in any capacity.) Dislike what you want, go nuts. But this means that your elaborations mostly boil down to "no, you don't understand: I dislike her so much, so much so that other folks who enjoy her music should have no access to it in the game, and my opinions are inexplicably better than yours." So you can (hopefully) understand the two major camps of responses you're getting: scathing critiques and dismiss-this-with-an-eyeroll.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
krisdaschwab912 wrote:
I stated my opinion, and that's that.

I mean no disrespect - well, no more disrespect than normal - but a more fully-qualified version of your post would be "I stated my opinion in a pointlessly pig-headed and self-aggrandizing fashion". Kindly take the opportunity to re-read what you wrote:

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
Carrie Underwood has no place in Rock Band because she does not rock in any capacity.

If there were (a) some sort of mythical objective Units of Rock and (b) Harmonix used said units to determine which artists should be in the game, this statement might carry more weight. "Well, the Anderson & Hester model scores one of her songs in the low twenties, but the Boyce-Codd Normalized Rock Algorithm suggests a maximum score of no more than twelve. krisdaschwab912 is right: this artist does not meet the game's minimum rock threshold."

But no such system exists. So your statement more or less boils down to "I dislike Carrie Underwood". Which is fine! It's a free country. (I have no marked opinion about Carrie Underwood in any capacity.) Dislike what you want, go nuts. But this means that your elaborations mostly boil down to "no, you don't understand: I dislike her so much, so much so that other folks who enjoy her music should have no access to it in the game, and my opinions are inexplicably better than yours." So you can (hopefully) understand the two major camps of responses you're getting: scathing critiques and dismiss-this-with-an-eyeroll.

Well, it was implied that it was my opinion that Carrie Underwood has no business being in Rock Band, not an absolute fact. I just didn't specify this clearly.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: 6/26 DLC: Carrie Underwood 3-Pack! Reply with quote

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system June 26th, 2012:

• Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood (O)

• Cowboy Cassanova by Carrie Underwood (O)

• Good Girl by Carrie Underwood (X)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system June 27th)

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$5.49 USD, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for the “Carrie Underwood Pack 01”
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points, 200 Wii Points) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

Rock Band Network

Due to popular vote, the following songs this week have been enabled for score-tracking:

• Talk Them Down by The Main Drag(80 MSP)

• Impulse (2x Bass Pedal) by An Endless Sporadic (80 MSP)

• Welcome To The Skalocaust by Sunny Side Up (80 MSP)

New songs brought to you by Rhythm Authors:

-None-
RBN Songs now available for PS3 that are currently enabled for scoretracking:

• Impulse by An Endless Sporadic ($0.99)

• Creatures ov Deception (RB3 version) by Rainbowdragoneyes ($0.99)

Note: As of this post, tracks marked with are available for PlayStation 3, and tracks marked with are available for Nintendo Wii. All others are currently exclusive to Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3 on the Xbox 360

If you voted for one or more of these songs, update your votes by selecting new songs for next week!
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
Well, it was implied that it was my opinion that Carrie Underwood has no business being in Rock Band, not an absolute fact. I just didn't specify this clearly.

If you don't want people to misunderstand what you're implying, then don't rely on implications. Make the statements you stand by explicit! Compare and contrast:

"Everclear's 'Sparkle and Fade' album is one of the definitive alterative-rock compilations of the early '90s. The full album should be DLC already."

vs.

"I really like Everclear's 'Sparkle and Fade' album, and think it contains songs which make it one of the definitive alternative-rock compilations of the early '90s. I'd love to see the full album as DLC."

The former makes one sound like an arrogant douche-nozzle; the latter makes one sound like an enthused-but-reasonable fanboy. It's a delta of what, twelve words? But man, what a difference those twelve words make! Framing your opinions in a reasonable structure right off the bat! Without having to be barked at into being a more polite member of society! (I've seen the "whoa, I was just expressing an opinion, lay off" fig leaf deployed so many times that even if you meant it honestly, it comes across as super-super-disingenuous. Please, employ any other gambit I might plausibly believe going forward.)

I'm earnestly trying not to be a dick here. But "I stated my opinions as facts!" and back-pedaling to "whoa, dude: I was just expressing opinions!" is total amateur-hour material. Step up your game if you don't want the big leagues to annihilate you, son.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does Carrie Underwood have any songs in which she isn't trying to convince the listener that whatever guy she's talking about is an asshole?
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
So does Carrie Underwood have any songs in which she isn't trying to convince the listener that whatever guy she's talking about is an asshole?

I think you're getting Carrie Underwood confused with the even-more-terrible/boring/predictable (in my opinion) Taylor Swift.[/b]
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
Just the ones about Jesus
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

I think you're getting Carrie Underwood confused with the even-more-terrible/boring/predictable (in my opinion) Taylor Swift.[/b]

You mean the one that got famous singing a song where she pines after some guy who she thinks she's perfect for? Because that's kind of the opposite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: