FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band Mobile no longer playable on iOS after May 31st?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Rock Band Mobile no longer playable on iOS after May 31st? Reply with quote

Anyone know about this? I saw it on reddit this morning, wondered what the story was.

If it's true that's annoying. :/ What would this mean for score tracking?

Edit: Ah, looks like I was late to the party: http://www.rockbandaide.com/16083/rock-band-ios-app-no-longer-playable-after-may-31/

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Why exactly would this happen, do apps have some kind of always-online infrastructure that's being shut down?

This to me seems like that if after HMX stopped officially supporting RB:U, that it stopped being playable on the PSP.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it has something to do with licensing... like the songs for the mobile game were only licensed for a certain period. So basically, if you bought this you might as well have just rented it (Not going to raise a huge stink about ~$7, but it's still annoying).

The newest game seems unaffected, but it's really shitty that it says nothing about this game being unusable after the 31st on the app store, so it would suck if you just now bought it. :/

Of course not blaming Harmonix since this was developed by EAMobile, so it's surely something with EA or to do with remnants of the Viacom split, but annoying nonetheless.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when you purchase something and then all of a sudden you no longer own it. I can understand them no longer selling it, but having them remotely disable a piece of software you purchased so you cant play it anymore is bullshit.
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Kotaku, HMX has no idea what's going on with this.

http://kotaku.com/5906971/harmonix-doesnt-know-why-mobile-rock-band-has-an-expiration-date

Quote:
In response to Kotaku's request for comment, a representative from developer Harmonix said they don't know why the app gave that notification.

"EA Mobile is responsible for the publishing and hosting of Rock Band on iOS," a Harmonix representative said. "We're reaching out to them to better understand what's happening with the app."

Xepher850  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst part is, the game is still on sale, and has no mention in its description that you will be unable to play after the 31st. So people that buy it in between now and then unknowingly. are basically screwed out of 5 bucks.

MY ROCK BAND DRUM ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Will not remove from my signature until the whole debut album from Periphery is released as DLC
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there goes that FGFC I was going for, I'm never FC'ing Get Clean before then.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're safe.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it's always fun to watch the drama and subsequent backpedaling unfold. I'm guessing they underestimated the fan backlash? Who knows.

Well that's good news at least, but still leaves a bad impression to me about EA/EAMobile (but what else is new?).

1KJ08mq.jpg
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since EA is behind this, I'm not surprised they opted to shut it down and make it unplayable to people who've previously bought it because it's a well known fact that EA will fuck any customer without thinking twice about it. I'm honestly surprised that fan backlash had an effect. That's good to know but it doesn't better my opinion on EA or their mobile department.

I don't have this app though and as neat as it looks I wont get it. I refuse to get EA products.
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai wrote:
Since EA is behind this, I'm not surprised they opted to shut it down and make it unplayable to people who've previously bought it because it's a well known fact that EA will fuck any customer without thinking twice about it. I'm honestly surprised that fan backlash had an effect. That's good to know but it doesn't better my opinion on EA or their mobile department.

I don't have this app though and as neat as it looks I wont get it. I refuse to get EA products.

For reference this is not the first time EA Mobile has pulled this sort of stupid shenanigans; they did it last year with Tetris and Need for Speed Shift:

http://androidforums.com/android-games/263288-ea-mobile-no-longer-android-market.html

Basically the apps were yanked out of the store, could no longer be downloaded even from people that had already purchased them, and new (higher priced) versions were put in place to replace them.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally reading about this fiasco got me interested in the game and I bought it, but I'm having trouble buying the DLC. When I go to the music store of either game, all I see there is the free stuff, but I also want the paid songs. How do I get them if they aren't in the store?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: