FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do I get better?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: How do I get better? Reply with quote

I must be really bad. I picked up singing just yesterday but was met unfavorably with the difficulty. I wanted to try easy songs on Medium, and that didn't turn out well. I don't like placing last place so many times in a row. On the contrary, though, some of the higher-tiered songs are actually easy.

So I'm getting lots of 1 and 2 stars. The first problem I can see is that the cursor is constantly "scrubbing" the marked line. Its either stuck directly below or above it. Activating Overdrive is also unusual. I've only activated it about 3 times and at the end of the song as I try to figure out what triggers it.

So what do I do to get better from here?
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get better? Reply with quote

first, if you're new to vocals, you should try reading some of the help threads that are already here. if you don't have time to look back through the threads in the forum, it's at least a good idea to check the sticky threads to see if any of them are helpful (i know there are probably a few linked to the OP of this thread that should help)

Koetsu wrote:
The first problem I can see is that the cursor is constantly "scrubbing" the marked line. Its either stuck directly below or above it.

you're probably singing a little flat, or a little sharp, and not getting credit for hitting most of the phrases because of it

remember that the goal on Rock Band is to match the pitch, not to imitate the actual singer

and if you're having trouble matching the pitch in the octave that the original singer uses, try an octave higher or lower

also, what type of mic are you using?

i remember someone who had trouble with vocals for a long time, and when he switched to a different type of mic he improved drastically because the other one wasn't registering well with the game

Koetsu wrote:
Activating Overdrive is also unusual. I've only activated it about 3 times and at the end of the song as I try to figure out what triggers it.

if you're playing on Rock Band 3, you can just hit the select button on your controller to activate overdrive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that was sort of what I was looking for and it helps. I am trying to match the pitch and it works better on some songs than others. I still can't quite grasp the concept of an octave so trying to sound like the singer is the next closest thing I can relate to.
I am also using the Rock Band-branded mic. For activating overdrive, not sure if the Wii can do so off the controller, so it must be some kind of sound?
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:
Okay, that was sort of what I was looking for and it helps. I am trying to match the pitch and it works better on some songs than others. I still can't quite grasp the concept of an octave so trying to sound like the singer is the next closest thing I can relate to.
I am also using the Rock Band-branded mic. For activating overdrive, not sure if the Wii can do so off the controller, so it must be some kind of sound?

Ah you're on Wii. The back-to-activate OD was added in a patch, and Nintendo is screwed about patches so you'll just have to learn to make the right noise to activate.

How octaves work in RB vox is that you only need to sing the right note, doesn't matter what octave. So if the singer hits an A5 (which is really high) then you can still do fine if you're singing A3 or A4. Don't worry about knowing the notes exactly, just know that if the singer is really high (or really low) then you don't have to try to replicate it. It'll take some practice to get used to it, but a lot of songs are much easier to FC if you switch octaves. It may not sound good, but good vocal scores in RB don't always go along with being pleasing to the ears.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Koetsu wrote:

Ah you're on Wii. The back-to-activate OD was added in a patch, and Nintendo is screwed about patches so you'll just have to learn to make the right noise to activate.

How octaves work in RB vox is that you only need to sing the right note, doesn't matter what octave. So if the singer hits an A5 (which is really high) then you can still do fine if you're singing A3 or A4. Don't worry about knowing the notes exactly, just know that if the singer is really high (or really low) then you don't have to try to replicate it. It'll take some practice to get used to it, but a lot of songs are much easier to FC if you switch octaves. It may not sound good, but good vocal scores in RB don't always go along with being pleasing to the ears.

But how do I know I'm hitting an A5 or A3 and not something lower or higher? At this point, I'm aiming to 3-4-star songs on all difficulties so a perfect score is far from my reach.
I guess the part about not sounding nice is good to hear. But since its measured by pitch, shouldn't it still sound like singing and not reading?
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:

But how do I know I'm hitting an A5 or A3 and not something lower or higher? At this point, I'm aiming to 3-4-star songs on all difficulties so a perfect score is far from my reach.

I guess the part about not sounding nice is good to hear. But since its measured by pitch, shouldn't it still sound like singing and not reading?

I put together this video for Thunder from LEGO Rock Band a while back to show people how octave shifting works. Basically you just want to keep you eye on the arrow - the game engine will try very hard to draw the arrow on the location for the note closest to the line where you're "supposed" to be singing, ignoring the octave you're singing in. If you're singing C4 and the line is actually charted as D3 (C4 is higher than D3 musically, but C is lower than D), your arrow will appear below the line, but if you're singing E2 the arrow will be above the line (E2 is lower than D3 musically, but E is higher than D).
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten better at hitting higher pitches and my accuracy has improved. However, the bottom 1/6 is still so hopelessly out of reach for me. It seems like if I tried what you did in that video, it wouldn't have counted because it stays higher. On many instances, it stars low, then goes high because of pronunciation, but I still can't even get that.

Following the arrow is very misleading because it stays higher on signing parts. For the blue fills or non-singing parts, it easily sits on the low parts.
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of phrases that go from a very low pitch to a very high pitch, or vice versa, and i can only hit the phrase by changing octaves mid-phrase

if you don't have a huge vocal range, you may need to do this alot, in which case, it's really important that you understand what the pitches you're supposed to sing sound like in other octaves

if you can almost hit a phrase in the octave you're trying to sing, but part of it goes too low or two high, try singing the entire phrase in a different octave and see if that same part is still a problem

i found that i can sing most phrases in more than one octave and get credit for the phrase, but using octaves that are farther from my natural voice strain it more and cause me to run out of breath faster, so picking the right one helps

most of the issues you're having will work themselves out with enough practice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't. I must be learning it wrong. I don't know what the different between an octave and pitch is. I have gotten a little better since I'm now averaging about 4 stars now. 0-2-tiered songs are still the hardest to sing because its just so sensitive and nothing counts. And singing the low parts regardless of the song are still nearly impossible. I don't know how else to improve is playing in general is so disappointing.
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:
I don't know what the different between an octave and pitch is.

learning to sing in different octaves is really important, but it sounds like you don't have a general understanding of octaves

if you've ever heard anyone do the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do vocal exercise, the first "do" and last "do" are the same pitch, but the last one is one octave higher

i'm not sure how else to explain it, but you should probably try watching rock band videos of people doing songs that you have, where you can hear their voice, because it'll show you how someone else is singing it other than the actual band or artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:
However, the bottom 1/6 is still so hopelessly out of reach for me.

This is one thing that you should remember. The range shown is entirely dependent on the range of the song. So the "bottom 1/6" isn't the same vocal range for one song as it is for others. The HUD for vocals only shows the range of the song you're playing. The highest part of the vocal bar represents the highest pitch in /that/ particular song, and same for lowest.

As for the difference between octave and pitch... it's really hard to explain simply. From a technical perspective, it's pretty easy to explain. Sound comes in wave form. The length of each wave determines the pitch of a sound. One pitch that has half the wavelength of another is considered "one octave higher" than the other pitch. The two waves "fit together" very easily, so they're considered the same pitch (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A). So for example, people are referring to A4 and A5. Both are the same note (A), but A5 has half the wavelength of A4, and hence is twice as "high" sounding.

how is this applicable to singing? Well, most people who can hold a pitch are sort of able to intuitively "feel" when two pitches are the same, even if they're in different octaves, and certain octaves/ranges are more comfortable for some people to sing than others. The game recognizes this, and makes the octave irrelevant when it comes to vocals. So long as the pitch itself is the same, the octave in which you sing that pitch doesn't matter. The game will score it the same.

Honestly this is a hard concept to understand and put into practice because it's entirely dependent on how well you can "feel" pitches. If you sing a lot higher or lower than a certain sound but still recognize that it "feels" the same, then you should have a fairly intuitive understanding of octaves. If not, then I'm not really sure how to help you. =/

Hope some of this helps. I know it's probably really too detailed and a bit overwhelming, but hopefully you can glean some info from it.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that helps understand the scale I can intuitively "feel" for higher pitched parts. In general, and I mean about 9 out of 10 songs I played, I can't get the lower pitch at all. It's like trying to lift a heavy weight. I can do everything above better, but even where there is a slow slide to lower pitches, its just caps off. Any particular songs that make practicing this particular part easier?
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:
Yes, that helps understand the scale I can intuitively "feel" for higher pitched parts. In general, and I mean about 9 out of 10 songs I played, I can't get the lower pitch at all. It's like trying to lift a heavy weight. I can do everything above better, but even where there is a slow slide to lower pitches, its just caps off. Any particular songs that make practicing this particular part easier?
It sounds like youre at the bottom of your range, so thats when you have to sing at a higher octave as mentioned above
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
Well, most people who can hold a pitch are sort of able to intuitively "feel" when two pitches are the same, even if they're in different octaves, and certain octaves/ranges are more comfortable for some people to sing than others. The game recognizes this, and makes the octave irrelevant when it comes to vocals. So long as the note itself is the same, the octave in which you sing that note doesn't matter. The game will score it the same.

Fixed that, since pitch is not the same thing as note.

It's sort of like "math with your ears". The frequency of a note that is 1 octave higher than another note is always double the frequency of the lower note.

For instance, middle C (C4) has a frequency of 261.626 Hz. C3 is 1 octave lower, and has a frequency exactly half of that, or 130.813 Hz. Someone with a trained ear can tell instantly when both notes are played either together or close to each other in time because they'll "sound right" together.

That sounds a lot more complex than it really is though - it explains the mechanics behind how it works, but the process is actually very simple once you learn the trick.
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/
Let's use this as an example for the difference between pitch and octave.

The pitch is simply the note, personified with letters/symbols such as "E" or "C#".

12 pitches make up what is known as an octave. The 13th pitch in this pattern is actually the same pitch as the 1st, but since it's in a higher octave, the frequency is higher, giving the illusion that it's completely different.

For example, let's use the two "C" keys on the piano. The left one is one octave (12 pitches) lower than the right one. If you press one after the other, it's likely that you'll hear a resemblance between the two; this is because -- even though the right one makes a higher noise -- they match the same pitch. Conversely, this correlation will not apply between two totally different pitches (ex. "D" and "G").

In summary, there's a minimum of only 12 notes you'll ever need to make in the entire game, so if a note is too high or low, shift your voice to compensate for your vocal range. If it's too low, sing at a higher octave; if it's too high, sing lower. Just make sure it's the same pitch.

It can be tough at first, but eventually you'll likely even be able to do it on impulse.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: