FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
12/27 DLC: Fueled By Ramen Pack 01
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
I think he means charting something that isn't keys to keys is a strike against the song. Which makes no sense because

I'm also skipping the song that charts horns to keys. Sorry that it makes no sense.

The Gym Class Heroes song has piano though, so I'll grab that one at some point.
BathTub  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried that Billionaire was going to get stupidly chopped up, I didn't even consider the PaTD song. I'll skip that one now.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
machetemonkey wrote:
I think he means charting something that isn't keys to keys is a strike against the song. Which makes no sense because

I'm also skipping the song that charts horns to keys. Sorry that it makes no sense.

The Gym Class Heroes song has piano though, so I'll grab that one at some point.

At least machete listed out his reasonings( which chose to cut out of his quote ). I'm interested to hear the counter-argument since it currently sounds like "I don't buy songs that chart horns to keys because fuck that," which doesn't tell me anything. I also don't see the issue unless you would ONLY play keys on the song. For example, I hate the guitar chart for Pulse of the Maggots... but I bought it for drums anyway.

As for censoring, isn't this just the radio edit? We almost always get radio edits to songs, I don't see why anyone would expect us not to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at it this way. HMX has to release these 'crap' (I used the quotes as I don't think any music is crap, just is or isn't what I enjoy listening to) weeks of pop 'fluff' that despite your personal hatred of, is going to sell like mad.

They need weeks like this every so often to keep RB chugging along, and to help cushion the lesser sales they make when they release the metal or indie bands that most of us at SH, and RB.com prefer to listen to.

It's a necessary evil. You have to release the safe hits to fund the weeks of risky indie/metal.

So if you don't like the week don't buy it. Just don't shit all over it, because more often than not this is what keeps RB in the gold.

2112 is a huge deal for prog metal fans. I doubt it outsells anything from this week (sad but true).

So just grin and bear it, and know that your one week of 'worst crap ever' is going to lead to another week of the metal, indie, punk, or (insert your favorite obscure band/genre here) down the road.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Thunder Buckets PSN Name: thunderbuckets
diablocon  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this week's DLC.

The keys charts are all really fun, especially Panic's trumpet chart.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystakin wrote:
At least machete listed out his reasonings( which chose to cut out of his quote ). I'm interested to hear the counter-argument since it currently sounds like "I don't buy songs that chart horns to keys because fuck that," which doesn't tell me anything.

Well, I'm not trying to win an argument or persuade you of anything, which is why I was brief. I was just expressing my opinion like anyone else would. But quickly in response to machete's points:

1) "The cello part might have been synthesized" isn't really a reason. It also might not have been synthesized, and further, if it doesn't matter either way, why even bring it up?
2) The "real keys part" it switches to sounds like a vibraphone to me.

Looking at this live performance I see both a cello and a vibraphone being played, so ...

As for why I wouldn't want to play a horn part on keys, the main reason is that when you chart horns onto keys you usually have to chart some kind of unintuitive chromatic mess that a keyboardist seldom actually plays. Charted strings or percussion usually isn't as bad as horns (there are no chords but at least it's likely to follow the key signature) but horn and saxophone parts charted to keys are the worst to me; they're almost never fun for me to play.

I have the same bias against programmed keyboard parts that a human hasn't actually played, or programmed drum parts that aren't what a human drummer would play. To me trying to get good at a non-keyboard part on keyboards would be like buying Rocksmith to focus on the mini-games. If that does it for someone, more power to them. It's not interesting to me.

I enjoy playing right-handed keyboard parts (chords, scales, arpeggios, solos) with my right hand that a human has played on a keyboard with their right hand. Similarly I like playing the drum charts as close as I reasonably can to how it's actually played, including pro drums and a hi-hat pedal to switch between yellow/blue cymbals. Anything else is a diminished experience for me. I figured such a long drawn out explanation of this might be boring to people, but now you're stuck with it .

Quote:
I also don't see the issue unless you would ONLY play keys on the song. For example, I hate the guitar chart for Pulse of the Maggots... but I bought it for drums anyway.

My main interest these days actually is keys, but I'll buy a non-keys song if I like it enough to play on drums. I've bought a few cool songs (like the RHCP drummer RBN track) that I had little hope of passing on either at my current skill level. In this case, neither the song nor the drum chart looks like anything special to me, but again that's just my opinion.

Quote:
As for censoring, isn't this just the radio edit? We almost always get radio edits to songs,

We've had quite a few album versions of songs that also had single versions. I think where you're right it's probably with newer material that the label is interested in promoting (thus they provide the radio edit), but on back catalog stuff it always seemed to me that album versions were dominant.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noble wrote:
So if you don't like the week don't buy it. Just don't shit all over it, because more often than not this is what keeps RB in the gold.

Looking at rockbandscores.com it looks like nothing has sold well since the Country Megapack week. Hopefully the trend changes soon. Earlier in the year something was a flop if it didn't reach 5 figures, lately it's infrequent that anything does.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
stuff

I can understand what you're saying. While I don't /agree/, it's a reasonable opinion that you're presenting.

When I made the point about the cello/vibraphone probably being synthesized, the point was really a pre-emptive argument against your second point: Yes, sometimes charting non-keyboard instruments to keys can create some weird, awkward charts, but often times when a band synthesizes such instrument, they play the parts on the keyboard, so the melodies tend to feel more natural to play than if they were live instruments. I know in bands I've been in, we lacked the resources for live instruments beyond the basic 5-piece rock outfit, so any "weird" stuff was synthesized by our keyboard player.

I guess you disproved that with the live video (not that it's indicative of the studio recording, but it's still a fair point), but watching the chart for I Write Sins... the "keys" part doesn't look awkward at all.

I'm glad you explained yourself, because I think the first reaction of a lot of people to "I won't buy that track because it has cello on keys, and I won't buy that track that has horns as keys either!" is "oh god, here's another pretentious purist who hates creative authoring even if the alternative is boring charts!" When in fact, you do have some legitimate reasons.

Personally? I'd rather have an awkward horn or strings chart on keys than no keys chart at all.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I'm sure some people will think I'm a pretentious purist regardless, but I don't mind. And honestly, if I was going to not buy something that would be a no-part, and instead I don't buy it because it's a horn part, but other people who don't mind that DO buy it, they benefit from HMX's decision to chart the horns, and I don't lose out.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noble wrote:

2112 is a huge deal for prog metal fans. I doubt it outsells anything from this week (sad but true).

I wouldn't say that necessarily, Rush is one of the most popular bands in the history of rock and roll, so I think that release will not only be big amongst us Prog fans here, but also just to the normal crowds as well.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
noble wrote:

I wouldn't say that necessarily, Rush is one of the most popular bands in the history of rock and roll, so I think that release will not only be big amongst us Prog fans here, but also just to the normal crowds as well.

I would. Rush does have a lot of fans, but only the really old school fans and mega-fans know about 2112. People are much more likely to recognize Rush for Tom Sawyer or Limelight than a 20 minute opus that never got any radio play.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
noble wrote:

Rush is like a weird phenomenon to me - on the one hand, they've sold millions of records and are undeniably successful, but on the other hand, I've never met another "regular person" in my age group who knows of them (regular people being not the nerds I know from my husband's work who generally like rock 'n roll, but just a random person you would ask while walking down the street). I doubt they would sell better in Rock Band than any of the other rock we've been getting in the past few months, which isn't representative of their success at all but just of what the average music-listener-who-plays-music-games knows.

Maybe it's because they didn't really have an iconic radio hit that a lot of the popular rock bands usually have? I would guess their most recognized song would be Tom Sawyer? I'm not sure, but yeah, whenever I'm trying to describe who Rush is to someone who doesn't know them I have a hard time thinking of an "oh that song!" to mention. It's hard to imagine outside of our little bubble of ScoreHero but I find this to be increasingly common for folks under 30 - old guys though? Yeah, they usually know Rush. Sadly these are the people not playing Rock Band. The question shouldn't be about how popular Rush is, it should be about how popular Rush is among the target audience of Rock Band.

Anyway I bought a Rush Live Blu-Ray last week and it's so awesome, makes me regret not seeing them last year. Crossing fingers for 2112 very soon.

Will have to check out the keys charts for this week's DLC, sounds like that and vocals are the highlight of the week.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
People are much more likely to recognize Rush for Tom Sawyer or Limelight than a 20 minute opus that never got any radio play.

They may not recognize Discovery through Grand Finale, but Overture/The Temples of Syrinx was a single. (Although I have no interest in looking for its chart positions.) The album itself (which is less than double the length of its title track) is also triple platinum, which hardly makes it obscure hipster garbage, radio play or no.

I'd say 2112 isn't all that unrecognizable to people. It's probably the most widely known 20+ minute song that isn't classical. That said, it's still a twenty minute song and most people will have heard it the whole way through once at best. (If HMX pulls an Abbey Road, I'd expect to see the first two parts sell the best.)

Also I got Pressure, only sang it so far but it's great. HMX needs to get some more AWKIF and Riot songs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Icemage wrote:
People are much more likely to recognize Rush for Tom Sawyer or Limelight than a 20 minute opus that never got any radio play.

They may not recognize Discovery through Grand Finale, but Overture/The Temples of Syrinx was a single. (Although I have no interest in looking for its chart positions.) The album itself (which is less than double the length of its title track) is also triple platinum, which hardly makes it obscure hipster garbage, radio play or no.

I'd say 2112 isn't all that unrecognizable to people. It's probably the most widely known 20+ minute song that isn't classical. That said, it's still a twenty minute song and most people will have heard it the whole way through once at best. (If HMX pulls an Abbey Road, I'd expect to see the first two parts sell the best.)

Also I got Pressure, only sang it so far but it's great. HMX needs to get some more AWKIF and Riot songs.

I highly doubt we'll get more Riot! as we already have the main singles off the album (Hallelujah didn't have near the success as the other 3). Theyd have to pull a No Doubt with it if they were ever gonna go close to the deep cuts, and I doubt that would happen.

But yes, more AWKIF please.

(If we do get deep cuts, pulling for My Heart and For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic)

Also, obliga-lol at ___damn door

JOE2210  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Make Me Feel, Stereo Hearts and Billionaire are the funnest songs I've ever played on harmonies.
They're just great party songs.
I was a little disappointed by the P!ATD charts, but they were OK, I guess.
Subline with Rome was not that fun bar the guitar solo. I kind of regret buying it.
Pressure was the worst though. Just insipid and bland. At least the pop songs had a little personality (WHAT UP OPRAH!)

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: